Need an electrical guru - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need an electrical guru

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
wildchild
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Need an electrical guru

I have a very strange problem with my charging system on my 89 with a 350 and GM 2 wire alternator. I have replaced 4 alteryrnators in the past week, evetime trying another part in the system, battery,engine ground strap, charging wire to the battery,you get the idea. the alt will charge for ten min or so then quit charging. I have full battery voltage to the alt on both wires so i think that is not the problem. The starter seems to be disengaging when the key is in the run position.

im kinda lost on this thing. anyone ever run into this problem before?

wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have the output fused? How long have you had the engine mod in it before the problem started to happen? You know that you are never ever suppose to load down the battery and then disconnect it while its running. It sends a shock of current through the electrical system that will blow the diode tree on the input.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
wildchild
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the input is fused. the fuse is good. and i know about unhooking the battery. A couple of the alternators never even charged when installed. and the mods have been done for over a year and working perfectly.
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
wildchild
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the output has a fuseable link in it also and is good
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am stumped other than you are getting bad alternators when you replace them. I cant think of anything that would cause an alternator to blow unless you were cycling a huge load without the battery. HOw about getting the alternator from a different source.
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You said you are running the 2 wire alternator, but said above something about connecting to engine ground. That's leaving me a bit puzzled. could you clarify?

The sensor lead is best connected to the loaded part of the system. That way the alternator will somewhat compensate for minor line resistance.

Do voltage drop checks (as well as ground float checks) under full load between all major components, alternator housing, engine block battery terminals, alternator output
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
wildchild
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the engine ground i spoke of was a new ground strap from block to frame.did the big lead check and all were in spec. the alternators are from two different suppliers. I may have it fixed although i dont know what fixed it? my son is out test driving it now to go get parts for his Cummins.
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That ground is a RF ground and doesnt have any bearing on the alternator grounding. Right now do you have a ground from the engine block to chasis?
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You should have a 2-6 guage ground wire from the engine to the chasis somewhere.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.