need direct fit high amperage alternator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need direct fit high amperage alternator

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
krazybob
1988 YJ Wrangler 

need direct fit high amperage alternator

I've read where some have used a Grand Cherokee 136 amp alternator on their 4.2 engines for help powering a winch. I'm looking for which year one of these will fit my '88 YJ without having to alter the mounts or wiring. Is there actually such an animal ?

1988 YJ 4.2 5sp
krazybob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed

I would like to know this as well

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

1990 and earlier 4.2 has a delco alternator, internally regulated. All 6 cyl 1991 and after have a denso style alternator that is regulated by the ECM

For yours you have an easy swap, get a CS-144 from any junkyard. Depending on what vehicle it comes out of you may need to bend or fabricate the bracket a little or change the clocking on the alternator housing. Pretty simple and a lot more output than stock.

There are lots of threads showing details.

here's one

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...rnator-839918/

CS-130 is another option, but a little smaller.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You'll need to upgrade the wiring no matter which upgraded alternator you install. The stock wiring can't handle it.
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
jamesbland123
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There is really no such thing as a "good" direct fit high amperage alt without having to alter mount or wiring. But with that being said there is a "bad" option and an extremely low modification option, I have done them both.

The bad option is to order one off Ebay under the name brand boss. The alt is about the same size as your current one but put out 140 amps. Now the fine print is you need to run at about 700-750rpm minimum. This was the problem for me as I switched to MPFI and my jeep could easily run at 550 rpm's at idle maybe even lower at times. So I had nothing but problem when installed as my voltage would drop turning on the check engine light. But if your still carb. this may not be an issue and 750rpm may be fine to keep the volts up.

The best option I found was the CS144 upgrade. This is a direct fit, but wiring needs to be altered and you have to buy a cheap adapter you can get online or at NAPA. You don't want to use Stock wiring as someone already mentioned because you are carrying a lot more amps then the wire was designed for, not to mention that wiring is 25+ years old. Technically it's not an alter as you are running a new thicker cable. The adapter is needed to go from the current wiring harness to the alternators plug style, no cutting or crimping necessary. Then run the new cable direct to the battery or starter relay (follow the old wires)

I plan to keep my jeep forever so I don't buy from the junkyards things I can get brand new or rebuilt with warranty from auto parts stores, unless its non mechanical such as bracket. So I bought an amp for a 94' Chevy Caprice 5.7, which is a 140amp. I don't remember the adapter part number, but it's not hard to find using a search on JeepForum.

The CS144 is a popular upgrade and if I ever had to do it again this is the route I would go without hesitation. Almost forgot you'll need to swap the pulley as the Caprice uses serpentine.

The guys at Oreilly's think I own a bunch of cars, but really my jeep is Frankenstein.
jamesbland123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You'll need to upgrade the wiring no matter which upgraded alternator you install. The stock wiring can't handle it.
There isn't much of my stock wiring left

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You need to upgrade the connections between the alternator and the battery. See the wire that runs from the largest terminal on the alternator (batt+). It is a 10 gauge wire that runs to the starter relay and ends in fusible link. From there, an 8 gauge wire runs to the battery positive terminal. That needs to be upgraded.

You can replace it with a 4 gauge or so wire and a fuse running directly from the battery positive to the alternator batt+ terminal.

Then you can run a 4 gauge or so cable from the battery negative terminal to an alternator mounting bolt. Upgrading the battery cables a size or two would be good also.

One place to buy the fuse. http://www.donrowe.com/category-s/1845.htm
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazybob View Post
I've read where some have used a Grand Cherokee 136 amp alternator on their 4.2 engines for help powering a winch. I'm looking for which year one of these will fit my '88 YJ without having to alter the mounts or wiring. Is there actually such an animal ?
For an ND? No. Your 88YJ uses a Delco alternator - 12SI, I believe.

The ND is externally-regulated by a circuit inside the PCM. To fit it would not only require making the mounting work, but you would have to fit a supplemental regulator as well.

The good news? The Delco SI and CS series alternators are probably THE most commonly-improved alternators out there, so it's easy enough to find the parts you need to crank it up. Any competent shop should also be able to rewind one for you without too much trouble.

You may also get a "one-wire" CS130 to get a good 140A out of it, still regulated, and should be able to make it fit without too much trouble (still internally-regulated, but the regulator picks up its sense signal inside the case as well. The only issue with "one-wire" units is that you have to keep half an eye on the voltmeter - if it drops, just blip the throttle to wake the alternator back up.)

Your YJ probably has a 61A alternator in it stock, which is midrange for an SI alternator. You can find SI units in GM vehicles of similar vintage - find one with as many electrical accessories as possible to get higher capacity. Also, you can go through the "Buyer's Guide" at a local staffed by competent countermen to figure out an alternate application that will work for you, to give you higher capacity (the SI can be "reclocked" in about three minutes, and the pully may be swapped in about 30 seconds.)

But, if you're looking to "drop in" and ND into ANY Jeep made prior to 1991, it's not going to happen.
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You won't find one.. Or direct swap. But there is this one

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/tff-7290nf

It's massive but hey go big or go home right?

Any alternator for a YJ prior to 91 has to have modifications done to mounts and wiring .

I WANT WAFFLES..
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #10
cwstnsko
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just did the simplest alternator upgrade possible on my 89 YJ (4.2l, serpentine) . I used a 105A CS-130 that fit's a base model 1991 Corvette, and a EC-82 adapter harness from Napa. The alternator is a bolt-in replacement for the 12si. The only physical "mod" I had to do was get a longer bolt and a nut for the top mounting hole since the CS-130 was not threaded. I haven't done it yet, but before I do any heavy winching, I'll be upgrading the charge wire and the grounds. with the CS-130, I have full charge voltage at idle. The voltage holds steady with the headlights and heater on.
cwstnsko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #11
yukonwheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i have a 91 4.0 running a 200amp alt out of a gold limited cherokee i ran an extra
power cable 2ga direct to battery thats it .
runs 6 extra light and a 10 000lbs winch no problem after to years. i belive its from a 98 ish cherokee
yukonwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.