need advice on synthetic line installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need advice on synthetic line installation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

need advice on synthetic line installation

Howdy,

I got a warn 8000 with a synthetic line. They provide a zip tie to pull the line through the roller, but it is IMPOSSIBLE. I've used several zip ties and even some rubber coated steel cable and I CANNOT get the line through the roller. I can get it to almost come through and it just sticks. I have pulled with my full squat strength, bloddied my hands and forearms trying to pull this SOB through and it is not coming through. The rope came with the winch, so I think it's the right one. I am using the correct (red) end. Please let me know if there is a trick I'm missing.

I'm thinking about using some wd40, but don't want to spray anything on the line and have it corrupt the line over time.

HALP!

Thanks,
D

Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

synthetic line doesn't use a roller fairlead

ETA: unless you have something like these
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92118_900X_PG.htm
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Drum - not roller. My bad
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
dahreno

I don't know what you mean, post pics. Especially of your forarms bleeding LOL !
dahreno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Need pics.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a video. Sounds like you're already doing this, but maybe it will help to watch anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhmw243q2jY
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
Dwarf
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Alrighty, I got everything installed and working properly. I'll post the solution for future sufferers. The zip tie provided, I'm convinced, is a stab at dry humor by the packaging engineers at warn. I found this tip on a jeep forum - a bit of all purpose grease at the input side through the drum and a coat hanger. It took maybe 5 seconds.

It's all wrapped up an ready to save me the next time I high center!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.