need advice on stereo system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need advice on stereo system

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 09-11-2001, 11:33 AM   #1
niemyer

need advice on stereo system

my '98 wrangler has a stock system w/ no tape or cd player and i'm interested in installing one. my concerns (since i have a soft top only at the time) are security (i.e. getting a nice system stolen) and noise (where should i put speakers? right now i only have the two and they kinda suck).

help....
niemyer

niemyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2001, 09:25 PM   #2
Rockwall

I have a 91 yj soft top and i put my 6x9s on the sides of the back windows. To make it harder to stea i drille the boxs onto the car itself , so if you want to steal them you would have to rip every thing up. For you cd playe try to get a face detachable or an old one which you woulnd mind being stolen.If you want to be really safe, I have a viper 300esp shock sensor in my jeep, if you just stick a hand trought the dour or where ever te alarm ring, I seen the viper 250 for about 25o$ canadian. whatever you get just turn it down when you go to shopping mals and such and try to stay away from the top of the line makes.
Rockwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2001, 07:28 PM   #3
jeep thing

I have a 92 yj and have cd player and 2 10inch subs in the back, all you have to do is put your soft top over them no one can see them, no one will bother them. The next thing to do is check with your insurance company, they will usuly do an apprisal on it,and replace if it was stolen.
jeep thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2001, 09:41 PM   #4
Moseley

I have a 92 yj wit a soft top and your best bet is to get a detachable face stereo or a flip face. As for speakers, I have the sound bar which places the speakers directly over head and give crisp, clear sound. They hold
4 in speakers. If u look around there are many component systems (speakers and tweeters) that mount into this for superior sound. U can also buy storage boxes for on top of the fender wells in the rear which have a place to cut out an area for 6x9's.
(I have these) Then there are the speaker boxes that fit between the rollbar and the fender well in the rear these hold 6x9's also. Hope this info helps you some
Banks Power full exhaust
KC daylighters on windshield
Warn 5x7 55w on the Warn front bumper
Warn rear bumper and tire carrier
Driver Fx race seats
raingler sport handles
diamond plated rear corners
rhino-lined interior

Red Jeep Club Member #40
Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2001, 02:24 PM   #5
hog

I have a follow up question along this line, I need to replace my stereo system because I keep drowning it, I have fried 2 stereos and multiple speakers. Any ideas on really tough waterproof systems? (Last night I took my speakers out and dumped at least a quart of water out of them following a really good rainstorm).
Thanks for any ideas.
hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2001, 03:34 PM   #6
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I'm not positive but I bet a Tuffy stereo console would not only keep your stereo dry, but also more safe. I also have considered getting one of those marine stereo covers (I saw someone had one in a Jeep somewhere) that are waterproof.

As for the speakers, I'm not sure.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2001, 10:16 PM   #7
Razskidoo

For the speakers ,I HAD enclosed 12" speakers. They will hold the water out .
Unread 09-17-2001, 05:53 PM   #8
mikeyjph

I have a Pioneer 45wx4 CD player in mine, it cost about $175, has a removable face and still sounds good after 2 years of mud and rain. I spent like $90 for some Polk 6 inch speakers for the front, but they already crackle, so stay away from them. For the back I put a Roadmaster box in that I got from www.overstock.com for 55 bucks. It has 2 8 inch speakers and 2 tweeters. The sound is great, even without an amp, and it has a handle and quick disconnects, so I can just bring it inside every night, or when it rains. I tried the bolting-down-the-6x9 routine, but I guess thieves here carry socket wrenches, because they only lasted about a month. The Roadmaster box also sounds better than the $150 Kenwood 6x9's I had, plus the box sits on the back seat facing me, instead of facing empty space. Have fun
mikeyjph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2001, 09:35 PM   #9
MKB

WTF?? I know I'm going to get flammed for this.. Why in the hell do you need a stereo system in a jeep?? Head units, cd, amps, crossovers, speakers?? where do you put all this crap... At the MOST you need a AM/FM radio for the occasional weather report. Save your space for gear, tools, and things that you may need. Remember your driving a jeep. Tell me this: when was the last time someone used their 400 watt amp with 12" subs to do a trail repair or to get themselves out of the mud? It's a sad SAD day when people discuss stereo tips/instalation on a jeep forum...
Swaybar Disco's
2.5" Spring Lift w/1.25" HD Shackle
1" Body Lift
4.56 gears w/ Rear Detroit Gearless
31x10.5 Nankang Radial A/T
15 to 20 Gal tank conversion
Warn 9000LBS
Dual Batt and 150 Amp Alt
Home-made Front&Read bumpers
Hard & Soft tops
MKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2001, 11:16 PM   #10
bigblueyj

THANK YOU MKB i think that this dumbest post send money your on mud tires lockers or winch or lift or more tools or more spares i think you get point
bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2001, 12:07 AM   #11
iJeep

no matter what type of stereo you put in GET A TUFFY STEREO SECURITY CONSOLE! My old XJ (the entire jeep) was stolen out of my driveway in phoenix. I got a CJ to replace it and put in a tuffy console and nobody has messed with it yet. Keep in mind that most people in Phoenix get their stereo stolen out of their jeep about every other month if they park outside. The Tuffy console is worth the money by far, plus you can put a cd changer in it and everything stays dry and dust free. For $226.10 (according to 4wheelerssupply.com) you get the entire locking TJ stereo security console....it is worth it!
iJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2001, 04:16 PM   #12
glm 87 wrangler

If you are still worried about water getting to your system try a marine system for boats
they have a lot of good systems out there.May cost a little more. They have sytems that sound real great they usally have flip down faces on the radio part so they dont get wet
but they also have pull out models also.
plenty of speakers to choose from that have water proof speaker elements,that means the whole thing can get wet.Just if you mount them in wood paint and use water proof sillicon to
for the cracks were the speaker goes in and were the box is put together,hope this helps

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.