Need advice on new to us Jeeps - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need advice on new to us Jeeps

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I agree that you should contact the inspection people and ask what they are looking for. As to the Weber carb I have one and it runs great! Don't change it before you get answers on the inspection. On your 94' what does the frame look like? That's a fairly good wrinkle in the side.

Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #17
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

it looks like a 32/36 which is super easy to tune. i would connect that brass barb to the black hose that has a tee right in front of it.

get a picture of hte linkage on the carb, if you can move it and one side of the venturi valve opens before the other, then it is a progressive 32/36 (opens differently). if both venturi butterflies open together while you moe the throttle linkage, like at exactly the same time, you have a synchronous weber 38 which is an even better carb
Unread 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1 View Post
I agree that you should contact the inspection people and ask what they are looking for. As to the Weber carb I have one and it runs great! Don't change it before you get answers on the inspection. On your 94' what does the frame look like? That's a fairly good wrinkle in the side.
I believe I may just see what happens after they get here maybe Ill get Lucky & they both will pass.

I believe we looked at the frame & it wasn't hit but I will know more when they are delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
it looks like a 32/36 which is super easy to tune. i would connect that brass barb to the black hose that has a tee right in front of it.

get a picture of hte linkage on the carb, if you can move it and one side of the venturi valve opens before the other, then it is a progressive 32/36 (opens differently). if both venturi butterflies open together while you moe the throttle linkage, like at exactly the same time, you have a synchronous weber 38 which is an even better carb
So is this one that may be able to pass sniffer test?

Ill save this & check once they get here thanks for the info & advice. What is better about the W-38 though?

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the 32/36 is for gas mileage and is still fun though. the 38 is just for straight power as it opens both venturis at the same time instead of one after each other like the 32/36.

i say even better but i mean more power. they are both fantastic carbs that have a huge following and great reputation. tons of bmw guys run them, honda guys, jeep guys, everyone.
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
the 32/36 is for gas mileage and is still fun though. the 38 is just for straight power as it opens both venturis at the same time instead of one after each other like the 32/36.

i say even better but i mean more power. they are both fantastic carbs that have a huge following and great reputation. tons of bmw guys run them, honda guys, jeep guys, everyone.
Thanks you explained well.

So I would assume the 38 will use more fuel also?

Now as for my Emissions testing.

They check for Cat, Test Fuel Cap, 1995 & older gets Sniffer test \ 1996 & Newer gets Computer OBD2 test.

1. So if I have understood everyone here I may not need to replace existing Weber to pass a sniff test?

2. It will have new Cat & I believe someone said it needs to be Nuttered which would make O2 Sensor non functional?

3. I was also wondering if Team Rush will help with emissions?

4. Seems I may need a Fuel Regulator also?

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #21
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yes, you will needa fuel regulator to run a weber. they like 3.5 psi or they will give you trouble.
the weber 38 does indeed use more gas as it is syncronous instead of progressive
you might be able to pass with the weber if thats all they do but its got to be tuned well
o2 is already non functioning, probably.
rush upgrade will probably help as it gives a better fire at hte plug for a better burn
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

and congratulations. you are now part of the club, i can tell already
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #23
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

superj Thanks for the Welcome I do feel like part of the club & look forward to learning more & plan on giving the premium membership a try when it is in our budget. This economy has had our business riding a roller coaster for a few years now.

I actually read many post before ever posting because I research everything I do no matter how complicated or simple it is.

Im definitely not a mechanic so I have allot to learn & will probably ask quite a few DUMB ????s

I really can't wait to get them here so I can start the learning process!!! Also my son needs more mechanical knowledge since he is a computer geek type.

PS. What do you think of the two Jeeps based on Pics?

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #24
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yup, one of my boys is hte same way. once he gets a car though, that will change. my brother was the same way and he once had a nicely built wrangler and builds 280z cars now
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #25
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Your only hangup passing the sniffer with that carb is if it is jetted properly for that motor. (the jets are sold by size and easily changed).

If it isn't jetted right, you won't be able to adjust it for optimal burn.

Webers aren't my specialty, but there are several here that are experts on it. They can help determine if it is jetted right and help you get it tuned properly.
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #26
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i think if you search on here or on google, there is a little guide that gives you good starting jet sizes. i used one on my bmw as my 32/36 was from a jeep, ha ha ha
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
Your only hangup passing the sniffer with that carb is if it is jetted properly for that motor. (the jets are sold by size and easily changed).

If it isn't jetted right, you won't be able to adjust it for optimal burn.

Webers aren't my specialty, but there are several here that are experts on it. They can help determine if it is jetted right and help you get it tuned properly.
Thanks I assume what is on it is just what ever came with the kit when PO converted.

I also was quite surprised so many said positive things on Weber for emissions considering all the negative I read while researching. Must have read wrong post

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I will definitely need advice on the carb when it is physically here.

I will need to figure out the extras for TeamRush also, TFI, E-coil? Still reading to figure best way.

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #29
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
I will definitely need advice on the carb when it is physically here.

I will need to figure out the extras for TeamRush also, TFI, E-coil? Still reading to figure best way.
You won't need to replace the coil, the team rush parts work fine with a stock coil.

There is a mod to replace the Motorcraft Duraspark ICM with a GM ICM from an early GM HEI distributor. This made as much difference in performance on my 4.2 as the Team Rush mod did. Cheap and easy to do. (Google Junkyard Genius Stealth HEI).
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #30
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
Thanks for the reply Patrick it is really appreciated.
Hey there,
I checked in today.

After reading all the responses, I'm sure you aren't worried about support to get these two running right.

I have to disagree with 4X on the stock coil with the TR cap and related parts.
The stock coil has a very low power output....like 10-12k volts. The MSD coil (or any of those transformer shaped coils) have 40k volts or more of power to send to the plugs. The larger cap and rotor are to aid in sending the spark in the right direction without misfire. The copper contacts make it that much easier for the spark to travel.

So why use a lighter when a blow torch can be made to do the job better?

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.