Need advice on new to us Jeeps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need advice on new to us Jeeps

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 09-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Need advice on new to us Jeeps

I have been reading post for quite sometime now which have been very helpful, THANKS!

I have two Jeeps being delivered very soon from FL - TN

1. 1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT purchased for 16yr old son. This one seems to be in good shape accept it has had all the emissions messed with so now I have to fix before it can be registered in my area.
2. 1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT which was just part of the deal & I plan on trying to make it into a extra vehicle for me & my wife / project. It is in rough shape IMO.

Big question & most researched issue has been how to make sure the 1988 will pass emissions here. PO put a weber kit on it. Not sure if it has been nuttered but I don't think it has been done completely correct. It also has had what appears to be a PaceSetter header installed with dual pipes to rear accept no Cat.

We are reinstalling a cat (2 in 1 out) to fix that issue.

Now as for weber I am not very familiar with carbs & how to set them so I planned on saving for a Howell kit which seems like it would be best choice according to most post I have read. Also it hasn't had TeamRush mod which I definitely plan on doing.

But I have also read about the eBay guy that sells a MC2100 which is supposed to pass emissions in most any state.

Now I am more confused as to which option to go with since I am definitely not rich & prefer not to waste $$$$s trying to save a few.

Any one have any advice on which option I should try? Sorry not a writer so I may not be getting my question across as clear as I would like.

Thanks in advance.

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT

Last edited by mcgyver210; 09-26-2011 at 09:00 PM..
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

My 87 doesn't have anything left of the original drivetrain.
No emissions equipment whatsoever...not even an egr.
I have the Holley 350cfm 2bbl on a stock rebuild 4.2l.
I passed Texas emissions with a new 3way cat and a proper tune.
I didn't have a cat on previously because Ga. didn't have emissions testing where I lived.

Make sure it's bypassed (Nuttered) team rushed and well tuned and you should be fine if your state allows modified setups. If they don't you will have a problem. Everything our old 4.2's had for emissions has been discontinued for many years.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply Patrick it is really appreciated.

I am slightly lost on what direction to go due to my mechanic friend not being able to help with the projects as he said he would. I will be tackling this now with my limited knowledge

So is there a chance the Weber could pass my emissions with the new Cat I am having installed?

I had really decided only option was Howell TBI but now maybe I could get by a year from what you said & I have read.

If I can post pics Ill try that way you can see my two projects.

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT

Last edited by mcgyver210; 09-26-2011 at 09:00 PM..
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1988:

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT

Last edited by mcgyver210; 09-26-2011 at 09:01 PM..
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

1994:

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT

Last edited by mcgyver210; 09-26-2011 at 09:02 PM..
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
jlegan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

welcome to Nashville I not to far from you. Sell me your hArd top and doors lol. I bought the mc2100 from the ebay guy and doing team rush tmr night so far so good!!
jlegan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlegan View Post
welcome to Nashville I not to far from you. Sell me your hArd top and doors lol. I bought the mc2100 from the ebay guy and doing team rush tmr night so far so good!!
Thanks for the welcome I was hoping to meet someone close by . I assume you haven't run yours thru Emissions yet with new MC2100?

I actually go to HVille regularly which is really home to me & my wife. She is looking forward to maybe going out on some trails when the jeeps are up to it.

The Black one is my sons not so sure he will give up the HD or doors

I have been talking to the eBay guy today & he seems sure his carb will pass our emissions.

I have allot of work ahead of me from what I have read & learned so far
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Instead of guessing, you might stop by and talk with an emissions inspector and ask what it takes to pass. While some aftermarket carbs might pass some sniffer tests, most are not certified to go on an emission controlled engine (listed in catalogs for "off road use only"). Some states aren't real strict on this, but some are (California, for instance).

Chrysler offers a fully certified fuel injection conversion for the 4.2. IIRC, there is a certified Howell kit as well.

And a well set up carb installation with a good cat-converter can pass a test, but if there is a strict visual inspection, you might get busted .

Talk to an inspector before you start shelling out the bucks.

edit to add: And before you do anything, run a compression test to see what you have to work with.
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't had any vehicle that didn't use OBD2 in ages but when I did TN wasn't strict on visual & now as far as I know they check for the Cat, test fuel cap & either use OBD2 plug or sniffer for older models.

I don't think TN is all that hard I just know very little about Carbs & tuning them.

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT

Last edited by mcgyver210; 09-26-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
jlegan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Subaru that i drive on track and some street driving and it has lots of upgrades and no cats. I have never had a problem passing emissions, so I not really worried about the jeep. They really dont give a S*%t from what I have seen
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a Subaru that i drive on track and some street driving and it has lots of upgrades and no cats. I have never had a problem passing emissions, so I not really worried about the jeep. They really dont give a S*%t from what I have seen
WOW they have always looked with a mirror under all our vehicles for the Cat.

I have been thinking seriously about the TBI but may put it off if I can get them thru without which would be a big help to the budget. Im now wondering if someone that knows what they are doing can get the Weber to pass.

I really can't wait til they are delivered since I really can't be sure of anything until I have them here.

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
jlegan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

when do you get them?
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
when do you get them?
Well if we hadn't had trouble when we went down to get them they would be here but we did so I am on my dads time frame. He says within two weeks give or take should be here after he gets a few parts & has the Cat installed.

My son has to get Learners Permit & then wait the 6 mths before driving alone. We didn't push him because we didn't know about the waiting period which wasn't around when we started driving. He just now became interested in driving accept for boats that is.

Bright side I have time to work on his for sure but he wants to drive it some when he gets LP soon. I believe they both have some kind of lift since both have 33s but not 100%

Also have to figure out the rust & damage on red one along with new Soft Top.

Unfortunately all my 4x4 experience is with Land Rovers so Jeeps are a new venture.

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

that looks like a weber 32/36 which is a great easy to tune carb. post up some closer shots of it when you can.

i have a holley two barrel on my 87 (which looks exactly like your 88 and is an auto with hard top and doors too) and it runs great. the part of texas i live in is very lax on emissions so they just visual for the cat and thats it for emissions. since my holley carb is from another chrylser vehicle (a 68 coronet) it looks like a stock carb. the weber didn;t look stock at all on my jeep.

i wouldn;t get real worried till you try and it fails. ask around before you go. talk to the local street racers about where they go and you can probably find a place that won;t even look at your jeep and only wants to see your insurance card and the 15 or whatever bucks the inspection costs. i know of some of those around here
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
mcgyver210
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
that looks like a weber 32/36 which is a great easy to tune carb. post up some closer shots of it when you can.

i have a holley two barrel on my 87 (which looks exactly like your 88 and is an auto with hard top and doors too) and it runs great. the part of texas i live in is very lax on emissions so they just visual for the cat and thats it for emissions. since my holley carb is from another chrylser vehicle (a 68 coronet) it looks like a stock carb. the weber didn;t look stock at all on my jeep.

i wouldn;t get real worried till you try and it fails. ask around before you go. talk to the local street racers about where they go and you can probably find a place that won;t even look at your jeep and only wants to see your insurance card and the 15 or whatever bucks the inspection costs. i know of some of those around here

Here are a couple I am pretty good with computer stuff LOL

I noticed there is no hose on the brass barb to the left which if you cover with finger it will kill engine? Not sure where it should go but every pic I have seen on others shows it going somewhere with hose.

Im glad I posted first since it seems I may have been over reacting as I usually do being a perfectionist by nature. The Carb is supposed to be fairly new according to my dad who found both jeeps.

| ______
/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
./.\.\./.\.,,,./.\
()_)-()_)--o)_)

1988 Black YJ 4.2L AT
1994 Red YJ 4.0L MT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.