Need advice to do motor swap or not. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need advice to do motor swap or not.

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Reply
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Redlightracer
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: trinity, fl
Posts: 79
Need advice to do motor swap or not.

Let start off by saying thank you in advance for any info!

I have a 95 yj 4 banger with 144 k (runs great no problems)
with a 5 speed.

It will be my Daughters first car at 16, so I am going to swap out the 5 speed to an auto. ( I know going back wards, but less shifting better eyes on the road and safer)

A local jeep shop has a 98 tj 4 banger (with everything under the hood. Doing a 8 cyc swap) rebuilt (not sure when or how many miles) He will sell for $500.00

He has the Auto Trans out of the same jeep rebuilt for $750 (not sure when or how many miles)

He will do the swap with hurst shifter and what ever needs done for a total of $2500 or less

He will give me $500 to $750 for my tans off the price.
So here is the question would you stay with the motor I have and do trans or go to the 98 motor and trans. This will be an everyday driver for her to go to school and back ect.

I feel very comfortable with the jeep shop he is a great guy and always taken care of us. I have researched the prices and they seem in line for the motor and trans

Thanks again for any info !

Redlightracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!
 
ashland82391's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 6,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlightracer View Post
Let start off by saying thank you in advance for any info!

I have a 95 yj 4 banger with 144 k (runs great no problems)
with a 5 speed.

It will be my Daughters first car at 16, so I am going to swap out the 5 speed to an auto. ( I know going back wards, but less shifting better eyes on the road and safer)

A local jeep shop has a 98 tj 4 banger (with everything under the hood. Doing a 8 cyc swap) rebuilt (not sure when or how many miles) He will sell for $500.00

He has the Auto Trans out of the same jeep rebuilt for $750 (not sure when or how many miles)

He will do the swap with hurst shifter and what ever needs done for a total of $2500 or less

He will give me $500 to $750 for my tans off the price.
So here is the question would you stay with the motor I have and do trans or go to the 98 motor and trans. This will be an everyday driver for her to go to school and back ect.

I feel very comfortable with the jeep shop he is a great guy and always taken care of us. I have researched the prices and they seem in line for the motor and trans

Thanks again for any info !
Simple answer, no way!

If there is nothing wrong with your 2.5 why swap it it with another one with more pita wiring.

I say just throw in the auto trans and call it good.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB, Alberta
Posts: 2,515
I wouldn't, seems like a lot of work for something that isn't a certainty.
Even to the auto swap... A stick is the best first car in my opinion. I know and understand your worries for her safety. And what if there was an emergency and she had to drive stick?
That's just my opinion, it's always good to know how to drive a standard, keeps your options open.
__________________
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o)_)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Drix
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Orting, Washington
Posts: 841
If she is just gonna DD it I would not bother with the motor swap.
__________________
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 2,631
leave it... Not sure I agree that less shifting is safer either...
__________________
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
bigbossd1030
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB, Alberta
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ
leave it... Not sure I agree that less shifting is safer either...
Creates more time to text instead of shift.
__________________
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o)_)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
mudsweatNgearz
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tucson, az
Posts: 491
Learning to drive a manual tyranny is one of the best things a parent can teach a child. They will never forget how and like mentioned if there is an emergency....they will know how.
As for safety I don't see an auto being any safer....just make dam sure the clutch override interlock is operable.
__________________
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger and bigger....then it hit me!
mudsweatNgearz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
88Jeff94
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Flat Rock, Michigan
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
Creates more time to text instead of shift.
Exactly what i was going to say.

My first car was a stick, an 88 Wrangler and I think that it made me a better driver. With an automatic it's much easier to drive just gas and brake, only really need one hand on the wheel (leaves an open hand for texting). With the stick you don't really have a free hand, one on the wheel and one to shift. Plus you need to be more aware of your speed and rpms for shifting. Something that is good to learn for a new driver.

I'll admit i have texted while driving before, and it scared the crap out of me. Trying to manage gas, brake, clutch, steering, and a shifter on top of a cell phone no way. It's not something I do anymore unless I'm stoped at a red light. In an automatic car I may be tempted. That is not to say it's impossible to text with a stick but hopefully a person has enough common sense not to do it at all.
88Jeff94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
scottmmb
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlightracer
Let start off by saying thank you in advance for any info!

I have a 95 yj 4 banger with 144 k (runs great no problems)
with a 5 speed.

It will be my Daughters first car at 16, so I am going to swap out the 5 speed to an auto. ( I know going back wards, but less shifting better eyes on the road and safer)

A local jeep shop has a 98 tj 4 banger (with everything under the hood. Doing a 8 cyc swap) rebuilt (not sure when or how many miles) He will sell for $500.00

He has the Auto Trans out of the same jeep rebuilt for $750 (not sure when or how many miles)

He will do the swap with hurst shifter and what ever needs done for a total of $2500 or less

He will give me $500 to $750 for my tans off the price.
So here is the question would you stay with the motor I have and do trans or go to the 98 motor and trans. This will be an everyday driver for her to go to school and back ect.

I feel very comfortable with the jeep shop he is a great guy and always taken care of us. I have researched the prices and they seem in line for the motor and trans

Thanks again for any info !
Not to mention if you put a v8 in a jeep that had a four in it, it'll have the 4.10 rear end and you'll get unbelievably low fuel economy
scottmmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
SunDevilJeeper
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Phelan, CA
Posts: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmmb View Post
Not to mention if you put a v8 in a jeep that had a four in it, it'll have the 4.10 rear end and you'll get unbelievably low fuel economy
That would all greatly depend on several factors.
__________________
1992 YJ - 5.2L V8
2003 WJ Limited - 4.7L H.O. V8

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
bigbossd1030
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB, Alberta
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundeviljeeper

that would all greatly depend on several factors.
x2
__________________
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]/l ,[____],
l----L-[]lllllll[]-
()_)-()_)--o)_)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
StanF
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlightracer View Post
Let start off by saying thank you in advance for any info!

I have a 95 yj 4 banger with 144 k (runs great no problems)
with a 5 speed.

It will be my Daughters first car at 16, so I am going to swap out the 5 speed to an auto. ( I know going back wards, but less shifting better eyes on the road and safer)

A local jeep shop has a 98 tj 4 banger (with everything under the hood. Doing a 8 cyc swap) rebuilt (not sure when or how many miles) He will sell for $500.00

He has the Auto Trans out of the same jeep rebuilt for $750 (not sure when or how many miles)

He will do the swap with hurst shifter and what ever needs done for a total of $2500 or less

He will give me $500 to $750 for my tans off the price.
So here is the question would you stay with the motor I have and do trans or go to the 98 motor and trans. This will be an everyday driver for her to go to school and back ect.

I feel very comfortable with the jeep shop he is a great guy and always taken care of us. I have researched the prices and they seem in line for the motor and trans

Thanks again for any info !
Sell the existing Jeep and buy a different one with an automatic.

$2500! That's a lot of cost to do the swap! If you could do it yourself, then it might make sense.

What do you figure your Jeep is worth right now? Probably only $4-5K. Mine is similar to yours, and I only paid $4k and it had less miles.
__________________
My Ammo Can Console: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yet-another-ammo-can-project-finished-1498520/
My 8.8 Swap: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/yet-another-ford-8-8-swap-extras-1565339/
StanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 15,608
In my himble opinion I thnk you are dealing with 2 seperate issues here. The first is an engine swap. You have a rebuilt 2.5L. You are sitting with a 2.5L that has 150K and the life expectacy is 250-300k. The engine you are putting in is totally unknown. With a rebuilt you have no idea of who did it so you dont know the quality of the parts or the knowledge of the people that did it, or the miles on it since the rebuild. Vote for keeping your engine.

The auto trans. The tf999 or aw4 are both good trans.. One of the bigger gripes of the 2.5 crowd is the ax-5. It is weak for offroading but for most dd it will last the lifetime. You will probably replace the clutch especially if you are teching her to drive a stick on it, but the ax 5 and most manuals are more durable by a long shrt. When compared to the fuel economy of the manual and the auto it wins.

More important is the saftey. The manual requires attention. You are engaged with the vehicle as it moves. It is much easier to become distracted in an auto. Talking on the cell, texting, putting on makeup, etc. when you have to use your hands and feet to keep it going. More important is the stopping capability ina manual trans. Using the engine braking power to slow you down quicker when you need to do the quick stop shortens the distance considerably.

To me I personally think you are going to do her a favor by starting her off on a manual. My GF will not drive my Jeep or any other manuals because it is an inconvience....she doesnt know how to drive a stick. We just got into a fight over buying a new car because I wanted a manual in a new Dodge Dart; guess what, its going to be an auto.

That is my .02

As far as the price goes there is a member here that has a shop in Florida. I know you trust your guy but I seriously cannot recommend this guy enough. If you are going to do the conversion please compare. He is on the other coast but he is the most knowledgeable Jeep guy I know and I am definitely not stroking ego's when I say that.
His name is Max: http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/Mean%20Max
PM him.

Good luck. The GF son is 14 and in Michigan you can get a permit at 14years 9 months. The idea of him driving a car in another few months scares the living ##### out of me! He will be learning in my Jeep. With the 2.5L and the stick shift on 33's. Slow but a sherman tank and I know at the end of the day it is the safest thing in the world for him to drive in.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
scottmmb
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
In my himble opinion I thnk you are dealing with 2 seperate issues here. The first is an engine swap. You have a rebuilt 2.5L. You are sitting with a 2.5L that has 150K and the life expectacy is 250-300k. The engine you are putting in is totally unknown. With a rebuilt you have no idea of who did it so you dont know the quality of the parts or the knowledge of the people that did it, or the miles on it since the rebuild. Vote for keeping your engine.

The auto trans. The tf999 or aw4 are both good trans.. One of the bigger gripes of the 2.5 crowd is the ax-5. It is weak for offroading but for most dd it will last the lifetime. You will probably replace the clutch especially if you are teching her to drive a stick on it, but the ax 5 and most manuals are more durable by a long shrt. When compared to the fuel economy of the manual and the auto it wins.

More important is the saftey. The manual requires attention. You are engaged with the vehicle as it moves. It is much easier to become distracted in an auto. Talking on the cell, texting, putting on makeup, etc. when you have to use your hands and feet to keep it going. More important is the stopping capability ina manual trans. Using the engine braking power to slow you down quicker when you need to do the quick stop shortens the distance considerably.

To me I personally think you are going to do her a favor by starting her off on a manual. My GF will not drive my Jeep or any other manuals because it is an inconvience....she doesnt know how to drive a stick. We just got into a fight over buying a new car because I wanted a manual in a new Dodge Dart; guess what, its going to be an auto.

That is my .02

As far as the price goes there is a member here that has a shop in Florida. I know you trust your guy but I seriously cannot recommend this guy enough. If you are going to do the conversion please compare. He is on the other coast but he is the most knowledgeable Jeep guy I know and I am definitely not stroking ego's when I say that.
His name is Max: http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/Mean%20Max
PM him.

Good luck. The GF son is 14 and in Michigan you can get a permit at 14years 9 months. The idea of him driving a car in another few months scares the living ##### out of me! He will be learning in my Jeep. With the 2.5L and the stick shift on 33's. Slow but a sherman tank and I know at the end of the day it is the safest thing in the world for him to drive in.
Until he drives too fast around a corner and rolls it
scottmmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 15,608
LOL... Scott fast and YJ are about as opposites as you can get. Fast and 2.5L YJ....even worse. Fast and TBI YJ.....I think he can pass me on his skateboard!

I have been in a few accidents. I think I have about 20 confirmed kills of one kind or another under my belt....that is no kidding. 20 more that were less drivable when they got home then when they started. Pushing the envelope of any vehicle will put it over the top. I have 3 rollovers and only 1 was in a Jeep. A Grand Cherokee prototype worth 1/2 million. Never in my YJ. Go figure. The YJ is a tough vehicle. If I am looking at what kills teens behind the wheel of a vehicle #1 will always be distracted driving a close second is speed. My YJ is the vehicle of choise because it limits 2 of the biggest reasons. Admittedly its center of gravity is higher because of the narrower wheel base but I can make sure he will be paying attention to the road and not driving fast. Try texting while you are shifting gears all the time.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.