Need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need advice

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 08-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Gatzby
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Need advice

What size socket/wrench do you need to remove the doors and top from a yj? Or is it a screw driver? (don't have the yj yet is why I ask)

Gatzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatzby
What size socket/wrench do you need to remove the doors and top from a yj? Or is it a screw driver? (don't have the yj yet is why I ask)
My doors, both half and full, just slide on and off. And what kind of top?

KCCO
jaycal3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Gatzby
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3 View Post

My doors, both half and full, just slide on and off. And what kind of top?
Hard top. I figured the door hinge pivot point was held in with a nut or something. And the hard top has screws/bolts in it too doesn't it?
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its either a 1/2" or a 13mm. I'm thinking the former though. I believe it is a 5/16" pin.

The hard top is a little different. To get a torx socket set for the rear of the hardtop and for the front it could be anything from Phillips to a 5/16 hex head. There are a few different types for the header up front.

Basically, if you own a Yj you should have all the torx sockets and a boat load more tools because its gonna need them.
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Gatzby
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Its either a 1/2" or a 13mm. I'm thinking the former though. I believe it is a 5/16" pin.

The hard top is a little different. To get a torx socket set for the rear of the hardtop and for the front it could be anything from Phillips to a 5/16 hex head. There are a few different types for the header up front.

Basically, if you own a Yj you should have all the torx sockets and a boat load more tools because its gonna need them.
Thanks for the info! I pick up my yj Monday, I'll have to stop by auto zone and collect all the sockets and tools I'll need. By the way, can you buy clamp on mirrors for use without doors at auto stores or only online?
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on your local laws, you can make something work. I preferred the Olympic mirrors that install in the aforementioned door hinges because they're legal here yet functional because when I'm doorless, I feel more vulnerable. The quadratec rep on this site will get you squared away at a killer price. Visit the vendor section to contact them about it.

Congrats on your jeep, we are here to help with the nuances you'll encounter as a new to you Yj owner. Try harbor freight for hand tools, they're cheaper and have a lifetime warranty. I use them on my tractors and have yet to break one yet.
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
jbrown73
Live free or die

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Congrats on your jeep, we are here to help with the nuances you'll encounter as a new to you Yj owner. Try harbor freight for hand tools, they're cheaper and have a lifetime warranty. I use them on my tractors and have yet to break one yet.
Lol. "Nuances" here, "Niches" on another thread......you are just a plethora of fancy words today! See? I can join the club too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown73 View Post
Lol. "Nuances" here, "Niches" on another thread......you are just a plethora of fancy words today! See? I can join the club too!
Seems you've got a myriad options in your vernacular account today.

Just don't say "edifice".
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
jbrown73
Live free or die

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You win....tonight. I'm on the east coast and it's past my 40 year old bedtime. Peace out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
The only thing I can say is to close your eyes. Seriously. If you close your eyes and pay attention to your finger tips, you'll be able to feel the nuts better and manipulate them easier.
jbrown73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.