need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need advice

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
jmet87yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

need advice

Need help on idle problem..i have an 87 yj 2.5any way im new to jeeps an can not figure out why my jeep is loading up an spitting an sputtering an dies while idling can someone tell me why it does this an how to fix it.. thanks..

jmet87yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Does it have a carb or fuel injection?
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
jmet87yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I want to say it has TBI because it only has one injecter on it but i am new to jeeps an that maybe what your calling fuel injection.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The likely reason is too much fuel. Is there a difference hot/cld? The ecu direguards the O2 sensor until it reaches operating temp. Then the ecu uses the O2 sensor to figure out how much gas to use. If you are loading up with gas then O2 sensor is the first place to start. The other common reason is the exhaust manifold gets cracked especially down by the collector tubes or the manifold bolts get loose. It allows air into the exhaust and the O2 sensor tells the ecu that its lean and dump more gas.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
jmet87yj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks alot i will check exhaust an replace the o2 sensor.
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Also check all your vacuum lines for leaks; they can throw the O2 sensor into a tizz. Remember, the O2 sensor does not come into play at all until the engine reaches operating temperature. If your Jeep acts this way only when cold, it's not the sensor.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.