Need AC help before i go crazy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need AC help before i go crazy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
nmckay

Need AC help before i go crazy

I have a 1988 jeep wrangler with AC. I need to refill it with R12 since the previous owner had it emptied and checked for leaks but did t want to pay the $$$$ to refill it. I do not want to convert as r12 blows much colder and I have some cans saved up. I have refilled my share of r134s and I do all the mechanical work in my cars. So I'm not retarded when it comes to getting under the good. So then why the hell can't I find the port to refill my ac???? I have followed the compressor line to the firewall with no luck. I checked under the dash too just to amuse myself. Nothing. I followed the line from the firewall to the evaporator. Still no luck. So here are some pics and maybe you guys can help before I look like an idiot in person. Hahahahaha

The last pic with the valve cover off is what I think it might be.

image-1637078570.jpg   image-4237833302.jpg   image-365853894.jpg  
nmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Um, right there on top of your compressor? Dust caps are on in the first pic and the one on the right is removed in the third pic...

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
nmckay

Yeah I hooked my can up to the one with the dust cap removed and ran the engine for 15 minutes. Still have a full can. Nervous to try it on the other.
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You have to open the valve after you hook the can to it. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember how but get a closer shot of your compressor fill point and it will remind me. The pic is to far
away to Jog my memory
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Never mind, yours is the newer style. Does the clutch engage when you turn the ac on with the freon attached? It won't suck anything in if the clutch doesn't engage on the compressor. If its not coming on, jumper the wire to engage it an it will suck the freon in
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
nmckay

Yeah my brain finally kicked in and I realized the compressor wasn't engaging. Jumped the compressor and all is good now. Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Was the system under vacuum?
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No, he had to engage the compressor to get a vacuum to pull the freon from the can
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
No, he had to engage the compressor to get a vacuum to pull the freon from the can
What I believe czjeeper was asking is "Was a vacuum properly pulled on the system using a vacuum pump?". This should always be done before filling an empty system to remove moisture, noncondensable gases, or other contaminants in the system.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
nmckay

No I didn't pull a vacuum. I just jumped the compressor to get enough freon for the compressor to run on its own. After filling the system the compressor kicks on as soon as I switch it to ac. And my ac is blowing ice cold, just the way I like it.

I'm sure there are steps I should have taken such as making sure there is no moisture in the system first. My theory was that the system was drained and checked for leaks before winter and hasn't been opened since so I just went for it. If it takes a **** on me this summer I will be taking it to a professional.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.