JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Need AC help before i go crazy (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/need-ac-help-before-i-go-crazy-1526483/)

nmckay 05-21-2013 05:34 PM

Need AC help before i go crazy

3 Attachment(s)
I have a 1988 jeep wrangler with AC. I need to refill it with R12 since the previous owner had it emptied and checked for leaks but did t want to pay the $$$$ to refill it. I do not want to convert as r12 blows much colder and I have some cans saved up. I have refilled my share of r134s and I do all the mechanical work in my cars. So I'm not retarded when it comes to getting under the good. So then why the hell can't I find the port to refill my ac???? I have followed the compressor line to the firewall with no luck. I checked under the dash too just to amuse myself. Nothing. I followed the line from the firewall to the evaporator. Still no luck. So here are some pics and maybe you guys can help before I look like an idiot in person. Hahahahaha

The last pic with the valve cover off is what I think it might be.

Mobile_Homie 05-21-2013 05:41 PM

Um, right there on top of your compressor? Dust caps are on in the first pic and the one on the right is removed in the third pic...

nmckay 05-21-2013 05:45 PM

Yeah I hooked my can up to the one with the dust cap removed and ran the engine for 15 minutes. Still have a full can. Nervous to try it on the other.

superj 05-21-2013 07:25 PM

You have to open the valve after you hook the can to it. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember how but get a closer shot of your compressor fill point and it will remind me. The pic is to far
away to Jog my memory

superj 05-21-2013 07:27 PM

Never mind, yours is the newer style. Does the clutch engage when you turn the ac on with the freon attached? It won't suck anything in if the clutch doesn't engage on the compressor. If its not coming on, jumper the wire to engage it an it will suck the freon in

nmckay 05-21-2013 07:37 PM

Yeah my brain finally kicked in and I realized the compressor wasn't engaging. Jumped the compressor and all is good now. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

czjeeper 05-21-2013 07:53 PM

Was the system under vacuum?

superj 05-21-2013 08:06 PM

No, he had to engage the compressor to get a vacuum to pull the freon from the can

deermjd 05-22-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superj (Post 15463794)
No, he had to engage the compressor to get a vacuum to pull the freon from the can

What I believe czjeeper was asking is "Was a vacuum properly pulled on the system using a vacuum pump?". This should always be done before filling an empty system to remove moisture, noncondensable gases, or other contaminants in the system.

nmckay 05-22-2013 11:54 AM

No I didn't pull a vacuum. I just jumped the compressor to get enough freon for the compressor to run on its own. After filling the system the compressor kicks on as soon as I switch it to ac. And my ac is blowing ice cold, just the way I like it.

I'm sure there are steps I should have taken such as making sure there is no moisture in the system first. My theory was that the system was drained and checked for leaks before winter and hasn't been opened since so I just went for it. If it takes a **** on me this summer I will be taking it to a professional.

The time now is 02:24 AM.