Mystery water leaking into Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mystery water leaking into Jeep

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Manthony
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mystery water leaking into Jeep

It rained a couple of times this week and i just noticed the other day that the passenger side floor was soaked. There was a good amount of water under the carpets, and some rust forming under it, but i cant find where its coming from. There is no line of rust coming down the door that i can see, no water marks on any of the rubber or plastic of the heater vent. Its like the water is dropping straight down. I have a hardtop on it and it is just the passenger side floor that is getting wet, no seat, not dash. Does anyone know where this might be coming from? I dont want to have to suck the water out of my wrangler every other day.

Manthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
JWBooth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running hard top and full steel doors (for now, 'bout time to go topless) and had the same issue. A light sprinkle/drizzle wasn't a problem, only if it rained solid for more than a couple hours or overnight, my husky liners would fill up. Tried a few things I came across on the site, i.e. spraying the windshield seal, down the vent with the vent open/on, etc. etc... couldn't get anything to leak anywhere. Firewall wasn't damp, nothing behind the dash or carpet.

I ended up running Jeep through an automated car wash to find it. Turns out it was the upper door seals leaking ever-so-slightly just enough to trickle between the door windshield frame, drip off the door at the very bottom and into the floor. From there I repaired the seals and no more leaks.

Another stellar example of how our Jeeps create, nurture, encourage- and many times absolutely require- our undaunted ingenuity and innovation.
-JDub
**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**
JWBooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Manthony
1995 YJ Wrangler 

its amazing how such a little trickle can pile up if given enough time. I might have to try running it through a car wash. I almost convinced myself to sit in the car as it rained last night, but then i lost the will to move lol.
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
mcohen
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check the hood cowl drain tube. Probably clogged.
mcohen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There's a drain rubber hose coming from the hood vent. Check to see if it's obstructed. Ull have to pop the hood and look for it hunder the vent near the firewall. Mine was shut. I cut its end open with a knife. Worked like a charm.

PS: my water was comin on the driver side tho... but it doesnt hurt to check.
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
bhamdan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manthony View Post
It rained a couple of times this week and i just noticed the other day that the passenger side floor was soaked. There was a good amount of water under the carpets, and some rust forming under it, but i cant find where its coming from. There is no line of rust coming down the door that i can see, no water marks on any of the rubber or plastic of the heater vent. Its like the water is dropping straight down. I have a hardtop on it and it is just the passenger side floor that is getting wet, no seat, not dash. Does anyone know where this might be coming from? I dont want to have to suck the water out of my wrangler every other day.
Check the horizontal body seam on the passenger side.
bhamdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here is everything you need to know.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Manthony
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Looks like i have a busy day of testing and trying things out tomorrow. If you have any more suggestions, for God's sake, Keep Em Coming!!
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
mrmark
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamc View Post
with this it took me about 5 minutes to fix my leak about 6 months ago

The problems of owning 2 Jeeps ... I never know which one to work on or which YJ gets the next mod ...
mrmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
Manthony
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay an update. I did everything in that thread above, and we could not find any water dripping in. Yet when it rains, this thing just sucks in water. its definitely not the hood cower, that works just fine. And the seals seem to be nice and tight, so i dont know what the deal is.
Unread 05-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #11
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The cowel seal between windshield frame and tub needed to be replaced on my jeep to solve this. Also, I used to have a soft top and when switching back to hard top water would enter the windshield channel through the softie screw holes along the top of the windshield frame. This caused the windshield frame to rot out on the passenger bottom corner to the point water would run into the windshield frame and down and out over the old cowl seal into the cab. Took me months to figure it out. Replacement of my windshield frame and plugging screw holes with silicone and replacing the cowl seal means I can drive through a tropical storm here in Florida and not ruin my radio or full up my passenger floorboard with water.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
phunhawg98
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hell i was thinkin the easiest fix is to go to DMV and order personnal plate SNKN SHP

sinkin ship....
its a jeep, itll dry out...
phunhawg98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
merckx9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem, passenger floor only. Same as Apollo I replaced the cowl rubber between the windshield frame and tub and it fixed it. That was several years ago and it's been fine since.
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
Manthony
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is the cowel rubber that thin flappy strip of rubber or what is under it?
Unread 05-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
Manthony
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ignore the question above lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.