MYSTERY of the tired old jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MYSTERY of the tired old jeep

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 04-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

MYSTERY of the tired old jeep

(lazy people skip to "summary" at the end) About 6 months ago the jeep would just not restart after shutting off. It ran perfectly, but just wouldn't restart for a few minutes. Sometimes it did it when it was hot, sometimes when cold. Then it solved itself a few months ago.

Yesterday, driving to the gym the engine hesitated a bit almost like someone pinched the fuel line for a couple seconds, then it kicked back in and was fine. But on the way home from the gym she just died while driving. Just a slow lack of power until it finally just cut out. All the electrics are fine.

I tested the fuel pressure today for the first time and primed, its at ~35, but when started it was hovering around 70. Now granted, that could have been due to the 20 dollar HF tester.

The only thing besides fuel pump that I can think of would be the cps. What do you guys think?

Summary:

Jeep would intermittently not start a few months ago, then all good.

died while driving yesterday and wouldn't start for a few minutes.

fuel pressure is 35 primed up. at idle my cheapo tester read 70, not sure if that's even possible.

I'll include a little picture just to get some people to respond to another stupid "jeep just dies!?!?!" thread.

How about this little treasure from Wal-Mart:

Unread 04-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You either have a pinched return fuel line or a bad regulator. Disconnect the return line up at the fuel rail and run it to a gas can. If it is still high bad regulator. If it is normal bad fuel return line.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You either have a pinched return fuel line or a bad regulator. Disconnect the return line up at the fuel rail and run it to a gas can. If it is still high bad regulator. If it is normal bad fuel return line.
If it's the regulator, do I have to replace the entire fuel pump too? All i know about the regulator is that it's in the tank with the pump. I never pulled the pump from the tank (though i have dropped it before) so i'm a little unfamiliar with it

thanks
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the regulator is on the fuel injector rail.
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well then let me rephrase my original statement...

" i know absolutely nothing about the regulator!"

haha
Unread 04-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
where the two lines attach to the rail, is the return line the one towards the front or rear of the engine bay?
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The return line comes off the regulator at the front.
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

got it, i'll check it out and update this thread tomorrow with my findings.
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeebe;15323316

How about this little treasure from Wal-Mart:

[URL=http://s669.photobucket.com/user/casanova91787/media/walmart_zps60a2bf87.jpg.html
[/URL]
Hey where did you get the picture of my cousin?

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The return line comes off the regulator at the front.
i followed the line coming out of the regulator (it's the line towards the front of the engine bay) and it looks like it runs into the filter, so that has to be the sending line right? Does the regulator regulate the fuel coming into the rail?
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

pull the line. turn the key. see if fuel comes out of the fuel line or the rail.
Unread 04-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well its the return line, I pulled it and drained it into a container. The pressure hovered right above 30.

I don't see how it could be pinched though, I have a 1 inch body lift and can wiggle the line on top of the tank freely
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It can be in the tank itself. There have been several people here lately that have had the return line in the bottom of the tank touching the bottom and restricting flow.
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That would be a whammy, I may have to drop the tank after all. I'm going to do drain from the line in the back right where the metal line meets the rubber, that way I'll find out if the blockage is in the tank or at least in the rubber line on the tank
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can jumper the fuel pump relay socket from 30 to 87 with a wire and use the pump to drain the tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.