Mystery part electrical part. 88YJ 2.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mystery part electrical part. 88YJ 2.5

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mystery part electrical part. 88YJ 2.5

There are two red wires that come off the alternator and run to the firewall and go to a part low on the firewall. At first I thought it was a terminal block but it has multiple wires on it an it resembles a large relay or breaker. It is about 1.25 inches wide and about 2.5 inches high and about 1.25 inches deep. I need to know what it is and if I can eliminate it. I have converted my yj to msd ignition and a weber 34 ICH carb. I am doing a total custom rewire and trying to eliminate anything I can. Help please.

bella mia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Yamahafreak93
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am pretty sure that is the reference wire to tell your alternator how much voltage to produce. Thay are the two that are on top of the alternator almost right?
Yamahafreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I need to know what the part is on the firewall that the two wires go to. I converted to carb and stand alone ignition and am eliminating a lot of the old FI wiring. I am tring to see what this is and if I need it. Thanks for answering.
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Yamahafreak93
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i dont know what the partt is called on the fire wall. does it go straight through into your MCU? cause i think the wires run to the MCU. it either runs to your MCU or ICM
Yamahafreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The part on the firewall is a relay; the stud sticking out of the top of it is the power distribution center. The hot wire from the battery runs to it and most of the wires coming off of it are fusible links with the exception of the wires from the alternator. If you eliminate it, the starter will not work.

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That starter relay gets activated with the ignition switch to start the engine also.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Freezin cold for here an I just went outside and looked at the part. It is a terminal block as you said it is. I have gotten rid of a lot of wiring since I got rid of the RENIX FI. I am almost done and am replacing most of the stock wiring. The starter is going to be by a momentary on switch to the solenoid. Thanks for the help.
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you know what the two blue relays are that are between the battery and the fenderwall.
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella mia View Post
Do you know what the two blue relays are that are between the battery and the fenderwall.
Pictures would help us a lot.

Heavy duty switches are expensive. A relay is a cheap replacement for them. You use low amperage to close (or open) the relay. The heavy voltage goes through the relay to the device that needs the power.
If they look like they are added on then they could be for fog lights or an alarm system...who knows!

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try this
image108.jpg   image110.jpg   image112.jpg   image114.jpg   image086.jpg  

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am almost done with my Renix removal and when I am done there will be maybe only two or three relays on my 88 YJ. I am putting a floor mounted headlight dimmer push on push off switch on the floor to take the high beams off. I have a heavy duty switch panel under the heater controls that controls the MSD ignition, fuel pump, headlights, wipers. I am putting a momentary push on switch to start the engine. No relays except for the horns and a few non operational accessories. The RENIX FI system was a super pain.
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the great drawings. By the end of today the starter relay will be history. BTW Early YJ owners deserve a special place in heaven or whatever place you believe. These Model jeeps are like pets. You have to love em to keep em. The wiring is horrible. I spent two days trouble shooting the fuel guage not working. Found it to be the thin piece of plastic with copper film for the circuits behind the dash guages. It is like a printed circuit connecting all the guages and lights for the dash guages. Except it is thin flexdible palstic. The YJ is flat behind the dash and I am going to take the whole panel off and replace it with metal diamond palate and make it look like a CJ. Both for the look and to get rid of all the horrible wiring.
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
bella mia
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.