Mysterious problem: will not go into gear - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mysterious problem: will not go into gear

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
Hi there again everyone,

Well, with the help of my 9 yo, I bled the clutch successfully, cycling two reservoirs of fluid through. Clean as a whistle, no foam.

Starting the Jeep, I am still unable to get it in gear.

Is it possible for the slave cylinder to fail but keep pressure? The disc didn't disintegrate, because that would cause it not to go forward, the opposite my problem. The only thing that I can think of that would cause my issue is the pressure plate not being pushed on. If I was able to bleed it, that means that the system is ok at least to the slave, right?

Does anyone have any ideas short of pulling the tranny? I'll have to send it away for that and we simply don't have the dough right now.

I am positive that something I did while cleaning the engine bay caused this issue. If years of watching Law & Order has taught me anything, it's that there is no such thing as coincidences. Well, that and hired hitmen will roll over on you in the court of law, no matter how much you paid them.

why don't you try pulling it off yourself? It's not as bad as you would think.

Unread 07-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished pulling my transmission for the third time. It's not so bad as you think. You need an external torx (e12) an a transmission jack would make it easier.
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
schwim
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to update this thread for anyone that might find it searching:

I resolved the issue. I was saving up for a trip to the tranny shop, but talking to a friend today, I was more convinced than ever that I got some degreaser into the inspection hole and "glued" the plate to the flywheel.

On the way home, I purchased a couple cans of brake cleaner but ended up not needing it. I put the Jeep in gear, engaged the parking brake, engaged the clutch and attempted to start the Jeep. It crouched down and started dragging the Jeep about a foot before what sounded like a gunshot at which time the drivetrain relaxed. I started the Jeep and went for a drive.

A welcome resolution! Thanks to everyone that offered their thoughts in the thread.
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

LOL.

I washed my jeep two days ago, engine and all. Let it idle and warm up, then turned it off and didn't drive it.

Today I jumped in and NO gear throwing at all. Just as you described.

I have an atlas, so I went through all possible selector positions and found ONE that it liked to engage the clutch in. It sounded like a gun went off, and then all positions worked.

I think you and I both found the ghost in the machine. From now on after engine washes it gets driven.

Chet

My Build Thread --->>> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ilding-869713/

Not my write up, but now one of my jeeps losing a BA and gaining an AX-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #20
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had this same thing happen to me with a car I was detailing to sell. after cleaning the engine I let it sit for a day or two, and same thing when I went to drive it clutch would not disengauge. It broke loose after messing around with it for awhile. I figured the water got in the bell houseing and rusted the clutch disc to the flywheel the clutch was pretty new and was cable operated so it didnt have a slave or master cyl. problem.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #21
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Ya. The Atlas gave me an advantage using 3.8 low front axle gear was low enough to allow her into gear when running and that did it.

If this happens to you...and you are panicked, stop.....throw it into FWD LOW and into gear if you can. OR saturate through bell with BRAKE CLEANER. NOT PB. You dont want lubes in there.

Not my write up, but now one of my jeeps losing a BA and gaining an AX-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Search my name and "shift rail".

You had the #1 rail slide backwards. Common on a BA-10/5. Easy fix with a #10 screwdriver. You need to slide the shift rail back forward.

Then look into an AX-15 swap.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Ernie...long time no hear from.

Na, this is clutch getting wet and rust forming in the flywheel and not releasing. Was the 91, not the 88. One loud pop and its free.

I have also researched this to death and it is very common believe it or not. If you are an engine wash kinda guy, you gotta drive it after the bellhousing gets water in it.

You missed Bristol...and I just got an 8.8 in my garage today for your mean green mobile. Well, I am just waiting for my daughter to screw up the rear end and I have a plan....

Unread 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelconucc93 View Post
Hey Ernie...long time no hear from.

Na, this is clutch getting wet and rust forming in the flywheel and not releasing. Was the 91, not the 88. One loud pop and its free.

I have also researched this to death and it is very common believe it or not. If you are an engine wash kinda guy, you gotta drive it after the bellhousing gets water in it.

You missed Bristol...and I just got an 8.8 in my garage today for your mean green mobile. Well, I am just waiting for my daughter to screw up the rear end and I have a plan....
Hehe!

Miss you brother!

Been tied up with work.

Missin' my old rig, on the hunt for a new one. We need to catch up over a beer or five.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #25
wolfe_inugami
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
I just wanted to update this thread for anyone that might find it searching:

I resolved the issue. I was saving up for a trip to the tranny shop, but talking to a friend today, I was more convinced than ever that I got some degreaser into the inspection hole and "glued" the plate to the flywheel.

On the way home, I purchased a couple cans of brake cleaner but ended up not needing it. I put the Jeep in gear, engaged the parking brake, engaged the clutch and attempted to start the Jeep. It crouched down and started dragging the Jeep about a foot before what sounded like a gunshot at which time the drivetrain relaxed. I started the Jeep and went for a drive.

A welcome resolution! Thanks to everyone that offered their thoughts in the thread.
I wanted to say, today this happened to me too (on my TJ) .

It was a rainy day, I left for work and on my way there was an huge puddle of water that was begging to be driven through... did so. no issues getting to work. When i get off work, I start my jeep like normal, but when i go to put it in 1st, it wont go in. second, no. third, no... not even reverse.

So i turn it off and i find i can shift into all gears as long as the jeep is off.

- I checked fluid - ok.
- checked for leaks - ok.
- Took slave piston off and pushed it in and pressed clutch while the jeep was off. Seemed to operate normal. Turned it on, and had a friend push it while i applied resistance to see if it was just weak... It was strong. So I put the slave piston back in.

I tested shifting with the jeep on again... Nothing. It would not take gear while on. I called a tow truck and while i was waiting thinking about how expensive towing is, I decided to try one more thing... Starting in gear.

I put it in gear, and turned the ignition with the clutch pedal down anticipating it to just launch forward... It fired up, but it didnt launch forward. And as I let off the clutch, it started to grab and pull forward... as if nothing ever had happened. As if nothing was ever wrong.

1,2,3,4 and 5 shifted ok. Reverse too .

It left me puzzled.
Im glad to read someone else had a similar experience with this and the method of overcoming it was equal. I am still wondering what caused it and im hoping it does not repeat.

It seems water is a common factor.
Unread 09-01-2014, 01:22 AM   #26
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

luckily the old internal slave models can drain through the BOTTOM of the housing

Sounds to me like there should be a rubber boot covering your inspection port to keep water out?
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 04:45 AM   #27
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got the same thing years ago in my CJ. Crossed an icy creek in the winter and the cold temps froze the clutch disc to the flywheel. Fixed it the same way. Started in gear with the clutch pushed in.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.