my YJ's first lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my YJ's first lift

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
chex_mix

my YJ's first lift

All 4 of my shock absorbers are worn and have some rust, so I'm going to replace them. Since I'm replacing the shocks anyway, I figured it would be a good excuse to lift the Jeep a little (as of now everything is stock). I was thinking of doing a 2 inch suspension lift - I don't do much off-roading so I don't need anything bigger. I've been reading that lifting your Jeep makes for a rougher ride. What I was wondering was how much rougher would the ride be after the lift than it is now? The shocks on there now are pretty worn, so going over bumps is rough already. Would a 2 inch lift with new shocks give that much more of a bumpy ride on the road than a stock suspension with old, worn shocks?

Also, I just got new tires not too long ago and can't afford to buy new (bigger) ones yet, but I figured since I'm only doing a 2 inch lift it won't look too goofy with smaller tires? The tires are 235/75/15 so slightly larger than stock - I could n't find any pics of this specific tire size/lift combo to compare against

I'm still new to the world of Jeeps and have a lot to learn, so any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

chex_mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not usually much for suggesting a boxed lift but for something better than stock without any offroading, try this one.

http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=456&gr=-1
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
chex_mix

thanks, I'll look into that
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My advice is buy a quality lift. BDS, Old Man Emu are the top two Imo. They will cost you a little more. But will last longer preform better, and not disappoint. Now if you plan to ditch it in a couple years and go bigger than get a lower end lift.... Word of advice you WILL want to go bigger. Been there done that. Lol

As canman said Zone. They supposedly makes a good budget lift.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Zone offroad is a sister company to BDS and the springs are made in the same place by the same people to the same tolerances. If you need a better warranty then get the BDS. Zone should be a good all around lift for a daily driving Yj. Your chiropractor will not get the chance to thank you.
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Riding more rough with a lift depends very much on which lift you go with. Our first YJ had a Rancho 2.5" lift on it. Rode like a constipated donkey. The current YJ is sporting OME's 2.5" lift. Rides better than my wife's Durango or my son's Grand Cherokee. I hesitate to say it rides better than my sister's '09 JKU, but it's pretty dang close!

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Zone offroad is a sister company to BDS and the springs are made in the same place by the same people to the same tolerances. If you need a better warranty then get the BDS. Zone should be a good all around lift for a daily driving Yj. Your chiropractor will not get the chance to thank you.
I've heard this before. My buddy used to say it. Is it in fact true? Or is Zone just like a factory second BDS? He had the Zone kit on his JK. But most people told him it was a crap product. It seemed just fine to he and I.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

They're not factory seconds but ther was something about the engineering of the springs to exclude some of the mil wrap and go with standard eyes. I called BDS and asked them about it and was told that th quality of the spring is exactly the same as their main line but the warranty is of course not as extensive. I'm sure there are a few more subtle differences among kits for the leaf spring crowd but I've forgotten them by now. I don't know what the difference for the coil springs happens to be nor do I know if the ride quality for coils equates to the leaves we run.
Unread 07-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
chex_mix

I've been looking at the zone lift, seems good for what I'm looking for at this point. Right now the Jeep is my daily driver but once I can save up a little more for a new dd I'll be able to play around with the Jeep and take her offroad more - and yes Rambo I already can't wait to go bigger

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.