My YJ as a DD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ as a DD

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 08-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ as a DD

I bought my YJ as a cheap project/something to work on vehicle. I always wanted a jeep, so I picked one up.
The YJ has become my go to car. It is now my dd, and I just don't want to drive anything else anymore. I don't want to off-road, I do need 4wd. My jeep is totally stock, gonna stay that way. I trust it. It has become very road-worthy and dependable.
I may upgrade to a TJ someday, for the air bag feature.
Anyone else share my situation?

chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

mine has been my main vehicle for years. and my wife's was hers and now her jku is her primary. nothing wrong with using a yj as a primary vehicle, they are solid dependable trucks. mine is basically stock also, by the way. no reason to change it either.

why do you want air bags?
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
mine has been my main vehicle for years. and my wife's was hers and now her jku is her primary. nothing wrong with using a yj as a primary vehicle, they are solid dependable trucks. mine is basically stock also, by the way. no reason to change it either.

why do you want air bags?
I got in a bad car wreck years ago. Destroyed my knees. I like the notion of some kind of protection there.
I'd really like to upgrade to the tj. Love my 93' though. One way to justify owning both is getting a plow for the YJ.
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have seen accident pictures of all kinds of jeeps and stuff always goes through the floor, right in front of hte pedals. that is the worst thing to me because you cannot really do anything about that, even with air bags.

tjs ride super rough, my buddy has one and that is his main complaint about them. he went from a yj to a tj and said he still wishes it rode like his yj
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What? You got that backwards. TJs ride like a Cadillac compared to leaf sprung YJs.... he must have had a terrible aftermarket suspension.

Stock for stock, coils beat leaf for comfort and flex.

I would love to upgrade to a DD TJ and a woods YJ.
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Jeepsr4me

superj Keeps saying yj rides better but they dont. TJ is like floating on cloud compared to YJ.. JK even better...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like the way my YJ rides. I think it's smooth. I don't have the heavy duty springs. That's probably the difference.
I've driven tj's, not really impressed by the ride compared to the yj's. Steering is a different matter. The TJ steering much different. Great returnability, better power steering, a bit touchy though.
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My experience is my yj rides better then the wife's jku and we are both on stock suspension. I have never ridden in a tj but am just telling you I am told. I know aftermarket leaf springs will ride rougher then stock so maybe a tj rides better then that but my buddy is not the only one to say a tj rides rough, he is just the most recent one.

But, everyone has their opinions so ride in two and make your choice.
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also, people are going to say their model is best because its what they have. That's another reason to go try everything out on your own. (Except the jku. We have one and it rides rough. I would rather stuff everyone in my yj then that rough riding sucker)
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I bought my YJ for the same reasons. I have a 2000 grand cherokee that is my dd. I just love driving the YJ though. It is a rougher ride than the grand cherokee but its more fun to drive. Once I get a soft top for the YJ I probably will drive it all the time.
metalhead is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.