My YJ-CJ Dash Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ-CJ Dash Build

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #16
racerx8413
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response Jeff. I will be examining the defrost issue probably next weekend. My windshield frame does not have the vents in it, but I do have some space to work with, I may be able to put some small turn-ups on the oval openings where the wiper linkage is, to get defrost. We'll see. The pictures of your pvc ductwork though are perfect, I will definately be doing something similiar. Either pointing the vent straight up, or out, not sure which yet. I also may get a CJ dash pad and do something with it, for defrost. I spent most of today finishing up the dashwork, and cleaning up the old wiring harness that was there from before the Wagoneer motor was ever swapped into it.

I've finished it for the most part, still having slight issues with the headlight switch, and the fact that only I found only one funcitoning vent control under the dash, not sure what the others control.

^ Cut the lip off of a rubber pipe to pipe adapter from the plumbing section at Lowes. Used it around the speedometer, perfect fit. I sprayed it with rubber undercoat so that it's not quite so obvious that i have a piece of plumbing on my dash :P

I was wondering, IF anyone could identify the vent levers under the dash, and what they do on a 89 or so YJ?

There is a vacuum operated lever up next to the windshield, is this for defrost?

What are the other two exactly?

Unread 10-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #17
racerx8413
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Installed the new fuel sending unit. I took the autometer sending unit, and drilled/screwed it's sensor into the same place as the old one. Works great. It could use some tweaking, a full tank shows about 7/8ths on the gauge.

I still have no vent controls. The OEM style cables, do not like being bent, so in any other install position other thatn straight back, they sit crooked in the dash, and are un-usable. I may put the stock controls underneath the dash and use the holes in the dash for something else.

I also have no headlights yet :P
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #18
Bromin
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Let me know what you come up with for the defroster. I'm working on mine now but i do not want a dash pad. I was thinking of either swaping to a cj windshield frame or punch holes in the bottom and top of the yj frame for the defrost.
Bromin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #19
racerx8413
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered a CJ dash pad from Morris, and I will be doing the following...

Going to cut the stock YJ defrost vent in half, so that that air flows to the left side of the vent. I will be cutting diagonally to remove the passenger side of the defrost vent completely (it interferes with the new gauges.

Then I will cut a rectangular hole into the front of the new dash panel.

At that point, I can hopefully fabricate or turn up the defrost air through the pad, onto the windshield.

As for the control cables, I am only using one. All heat will come out of the defrost. I bought some control cables from an airplane parts shop online, perfect for the custom cable lengths, and I was even able to stick the CJ style knobs onto them. As It turns out, I'm only using one of them though, the cable goes from the dash, to the passenger floor lever, that changes from heat to vent. I may at some point decide that I want the heat to go to the floor or something, but I won't worry about that until I'm finished with everything else.

A-730 GLIDE FREE CONTROL from Aircraft Spruce

These cables are AWESOME. Very very flexible, and you can cut it to length.
Unread 10-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
dbabbster
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I really like the textured paint you used on the dash, what kind of paint (brand) did you use?
dbabbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #21
racerx8413
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's just Rubberized Undercoat I got from Advanced autoparts. I don't recall the brand, but they are all the same. It's just as fragile as any regular paint, it will still show scratches if you scratch it, but It looks nice.
Unread 11-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #22
jeepguy85
Bringing down the BFH
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx8413 View Post
It's just Rubberized Undercoat I got from Advanced autoparts. I don't recall the brand, but they are all the same. It's just as fragile as any regular paint, it will still show scratches if you scratch it, but It looks nice.
I am a huge fan of the Duplicolor Truck Bed coating. I tried the rubberized undercoating and it was way to fragile for my purposes. The duplicolr works very well for spraying the dash. That is what I did to my 85 CJ7s dash.
jeepguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #23
tc89YJ

Hey Racer, where did you get the defroster vents you put on the windshield frame? I just finished my YJ dasj swap and I cant find anything like those. if you can email me back at tnkculjat@gmail.com
tc89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #24
racerx8413
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The holes in the windshield frame are stock, and I have yet to do anything for the actual defrost vents. I'm not too concerned about the defrost anymore as I won't be driving the jeep in weather were I need it.
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx8413 View Post
The holes in the windshield frame are stock, and I have yet to do anything for the actual defrost vents. I'm not too concerned about the defrost anymore as I won't be driving the jeep in weather were I need it.
No need in Denver???

Google, CJ Dash swap, there was a good write up about a year ago, had a defroster solution, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #26
Lasher242
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Great work on the swap!! I'm in the process of doing mine and seeing your end results really makes me wish I had done it a long time ago....
Yellow Jeep Club #1966
Lasher242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #27
r7069c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromin View Post
Let me know what you come up with for the defroster. I'm working on mine now but i do not want a dash pad. I was thinking of either swaping to a cj windshield frame or punch holes in the bottom and top of the yj frame for the defrost.
I am currently doing the same project and have the same delimma with the defrost. Does anyone make a grommet that will fit the 2 access holes in the bottom part of the windshield frame?
r7069c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #28
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

a stock cj7 grommet works for the passenger side but youre on your own for the drivers side. I plan to cut a out a piece of sheetmetal to make a cover for that side someday.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #29
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Maybe you can cut a couple of CJ grommets and put them together to fill the hole.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #30
racerx8413
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I covered them with dash pad :P

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.