My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 03-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #91
YeepieJeepie
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This seems like the new "thing". JP mag did a CJ front clip writeup this month too.

YeepieJeepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #92
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeepieJeepie View Post
This seems like the new "thing". JP mag did a CJ front clip writeup this month too.
LOL, this "new" thing started about 8 years ago when I got the CJ grille and hood, it's just taken me this long to go through and do this, I know, I'm a slacker!! At the time I wanted to do this, there was only one Jeep I knew of that I've seen, as well as one CJ-5 with a YJ front clip, talk about strange!!

Jerry
Unread 03-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #93
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
Nice!!! Let me know if you need some help,

Jerry
Hey Jerry, I may possibly take you up on some AX-15 parts. I was using the only puller I had "handy" to pull off the counter gear & put an ever so slight chip in the corner of one tooth.

I was just eager & should have realized that the arms of the 2 jaw puller were resting on the corner of the tooth, but I didn't.

I'm going to "blend" the tip of the tooth, and it it turns out okay I'm just going to use it anyway.

On the plus side, my Luk Pro Gold Series clutch kit showed up yesterday!
WITH STICKERS!!!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #94
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you just rattle can those fenders? they look nice.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #95
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
Did you just rattle can those fenders? they look nice.
Yep, just did the Rustoleum paint job. I'm just interested in getting them covered with black paint, they were white before, as well as keeping them from rusting for now. Eventually, I want to get the whole Jeep painted, with GOOD paint, not rattle can! I just have to do some body work on the rest of the Jeep, as well as the passenger side fender. I'm just going to do all the body work at once, after the conversion is complete, then, get the whole thing painted .

Jerry
Unread 03-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #96
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I can understand that they came out good though. My dad did bodywork as a hobby/sidejob when I was younger so every car I had always wound up halfway in primer or something, I try to keep my jeep one color as much as I can. Its getting to be time for paint soon though, we did my hood and cj 7 tailgate last year with real paint just becasue I was sick of looking at a green jeep with a black hood and tailgate. I just need to get some hole welded shut from where I had diamond plate before that didnt fit with my aftermarket flares and it should be pretty much a scuff and squirt i dont really have any major damage to fix other then a small dent in my cowl panel from when the ice fell on it. Its gonna be wierd to have nice paint I might feel bad the first time I go wheelin in it after.
Unread 04-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #97
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Latest news, I got a fender on!!!!

Here are several pics of the driver's side CJ fender going on. Tomorrow, the passenger's side fender goes on!

What does everyone think so far? Anyone know how I can make up the CJ flare to the YJ step molding? Thanks!!!

Jerry
Unread 04-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #98
Piet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tube Rockers!

or use fiberglass. I like tube rockers better!
- Peter ----------- Canadian Jeep Club Member #1969
2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon "Ubercon" - 3.8L V6, 6 Spd Manual, RockTrac with Dana 44's on 32's. Mostly stock for now...
SOLD - 1988 Jeep Wrangler "Golden Eagle" - 350 TBI, NV4500, Dana 300, Detroit Locked Dana 44, Spooled 9", SOA, 37" MTR's
SOLD - 1994 Jeep Wrangler "Oliver" - 4 Cylinder Stocker on 31" Kuhmo MTs
Piet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #99
RangerBEH

This looks great. I am trying to figure out if i should attempt this on my YJ. Did the hood and fenders go on easy. do the existing bolt holes line up or did you re drill or make new brackets? anyway looks great keep us updated.....
RangerBEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #100
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBEH View Post
This looks great. I am trying to figure out if i should attempt this on my YJ. Did the hood and fenders go on easy. do the existing bolt holes line up or did you re drill or make new brackets? anyway looks great keep us updated.....
The hood bolts right up, the grille and the fenders need some TLC. I had to mod the CJ grille bracket to make that bolt up. The fenders had to be trimmed because they hit the YJ frame since the CJ frame was narrower then the YJ frame. So, it's not totally a bolt up, but, it's not too bad! I can't believe that the holes for the overflow and washer bottle were exactly the same on both YJ and CJ fenders. I got the passenger side fender on, . I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Jerry
Unread 04-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #101
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's lookin good. I cant wait to be able to do this conversion myself. How much of the fender did you end up trimming?
1bad92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #102
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Finished CJ-9!!

Here she is, the "newest" CJ out there!!

As far as the fender trimming, I didn't get a pic of the trimmed fenders, I'm sorry, I suck. I just trimmed around the bottom inner fender from the opening for the shock tower is, and down to the bottom rear part. I trimmed just enough for the frame to clear, it might vary from Jeep to Jeep as to the amount of cutting involved. I also had a 1" BL, so, that lessened the amount of cutting as well. I know the passenger's side fender doesn't look all that great, but, it's alot better then when I got it, and it has matching paint. Like I said before, I need to do some body work on other places, so, I'll do that fender when I do the rest, then the whole Jeep is getting fresh, matching paint all around. Let me know what you guys think!!

Jerry
Unread 04-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #103
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

looking good my man.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #104
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks mint dude! I would just unbolt the runing board and leave the step part of it, They dont do much except create a great place for rust to start anyway. I woulda done the same if the wife hadnt bought me nerf bars for christmas the year I put the lift kit on. lol yea that was a gift for me... I had no problem gettin into it...
Unread 04-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #105
Piet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks awesome... honestly. It looks really nice

x2 on unbolting the running board. I find it just gets mud on my pants
- Peter ----------- Canadian Jeep Club Member #1969
2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon "Ubercon" - 3.8L V6, 6 Spd Manual, RockTrac with Dana 44's on 32's. Mostly stock for now...
SOLD - 1988 Jeep Wrangler "Golden Eagle" - 350 TBI, NV4500, Dana 300, Detroit Locked Dana 44, Spooled 9", SOA, 37" MTR's
SOLD - 1994 Jeep Wrangler "Oliver" - 4 Cylinder Stocker on 31" Kuhmo MTs

Last edited by Piet; 04-09-2009 at 10:47 AM..
Piet is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.