My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 03-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #76
Piet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice work. Looks really good. I have a 1988 YJ/CJ

Before:

After:

I plan to do the dash (and Paint) at some point. Here is a great link for dash conversion:
YJ to CJ dash swap write up with pictures

- Peter ----------- Canadian Jeep Club Member #1969
2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon "Ubercon" - 3.8L V6, 6 Spd Manual, RockTrac with Dana 44's on 32's. Mostly stock for now...
SOLD - 1988 Jeep Wrangler "Golden Eagle" - 350 TBI, NV4500, Dana 300, Detroit Locked Dana 44, Spooled 9", SOA, 37" MTR's
SOLD - 1994 Jeep Wrangler "Oliver" - 4 Cylinder Stocker on 31" Kuhmo MTs
Piet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #77
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
Ok, a couple of questions since you guys brought them up. What is the best way to open up the speedo, and how did you guys roll the odometer, just chuck it in a drill and go to town? I've got to go from 160K to over 228K miles, Thanks!!

Jerry
Jerry, my 1991 FSM has directions for that. Maybe tomorrow I can get you a look at it?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #78
bigrubbers4x4

looks good guys, i am getting ready to do this myself this summer.

rrisher,
can you take pics for me of where i will have to put the small cuts in order to get the CJ clip to fit right. thanks.

i got this clip for free of one of my club members, it was about 15 minutes up the road. i am going to put updated super bright head lights in it.
bigrubbers4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #79
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Jerry, my 1991 FSM has directions for that. Maybe tomorrow I can get you a look at it?

Max
I'll have to look at my FSM, I have the '92 version, I wouldn't have thought that they would put that in the FSM for legal reasons, Thanks for the thought!

1bad92yj, thanks for the instructions on getting the speedo open!! I saw the tabs on the outside, but, I wanted to be sure before I started prying!

bigrubbers4x4, you got a heck of a deal there, man!! For mine, it was $60 for the fenders, $10 for the grille supports, and $40 for the hood and grille. You did alot better then me!!

Piet, nice looking CYJ, LOL!! That should be a real model, LOL! As for mine, I chose CJ9, because no one ever had that model number, not even AMC. Not sure why they came out with the CJ10, and not a CJ9,

Nice looking rigs, guys!!!

Jerry
Unread 03-18-2009, 01:03 AM   #80
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lol I dont know what mine is anymore its got a tj motor, xj, tranny, older yj tcase and newer yj axels, I have a mj 44 rear in my garage for it, the cj dash and tailgate... Im drooling over your guys front clip swaps. its a WTFJ, maybe ill just go with CJ7 1/2.

I had the opportunity to do the front clip swap too. I was working at a building with a slate roof and a buncha packed snow/ice started melting enough to slide off and smash the **** out of my jeep. The hood was wrecked lights broken off the bumper and lightbar, mirrors broken, wipers busted off. I was soo pissed that day I was ready to knock someone out. I dont have full coverage on my jeep cuz its old and they would just total it anyway and that place that it happened at gave me the run around and got a lawyer to tell me they werent resposable because it was an act of god even know they know ful well that there are no ice gaurds on there building and its not to code. So yea I just fixed it bought new lights and stuff and someone offered me a yj hood for 20 bucks one night so I said hey why not and just put it on. I rolled with a black hood for almost 2 years, finally painted it last summer. I wouldnt care but I did all the prep work and my dad shot the paint for me so Id feel kinda like a jerk taking it back off now. I noticed this when I came out to get my break at 930. made my blood boil, gotta hand it to the jeep though if it were any other vehicle the ice prolly would of gone through the windshield, the jeeps practicly vertical windshield saved it.

my personal fave, the fing peice of thier slate roof after I moved my jeep before any more crap fell on it

They made me go get estimates to fix it like they were actually gonna pay ha. $2300 worth of damage and they told me it was my fault for parking there. There was a guy that was standing close by having a smoke 10 mins earlier to immagine if that **** fell on him he probably woulda been dead. but hey why should there 200 year old dumpy factory meet any kind of local codes or anything, nah they just pay off the inspector.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 07:16 AM   #81
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll have to look at my FSM, I have the '92 version, I wouldn't have thought that they would put that in the FSM for legal reasons, Thanks for the thought!

Jerry
I was surprised that it was in there too!

I don't know if you have "both" FSM's, but I have 1 thick FSM that is everything except electrical, and 1 thinner FSM that is only "group 8" which is the electrical section. The odometer reset instructions are in the group 8 FSM.

I got these with the Jeep from the PO, so I'm unsure if the 2 books are sold as 1 item.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #82
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrubbers4x4 View Post
looks good guys, i am getting ready to do this myself this summer.

rrisher,
can you take pics for me of where i will have to put the small cuts in order to get the CJ clip to fit right. thanks.

i got this clip for free of one of my club members, it was about 15 minutes up the road. i am going to put updated super bright head lights in it.

I'll be more than happy to snap a few of the inside of the fenersd so you can seee the cuts that had to be made.

The second turned our then the first one as they usually do but, I'm the only one that can really notice since, I'm a perfectionist.!
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #83
bigrubbers4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrisher View Post
I'm the only one that can really notice since, I'm a perfectionist.!

i am also. thanks in advance for the pics and future advise.
bigrubbers4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #84
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrisher View Post
I'll be more than happy to snap a few of the inside of the fenersd so you can seee the cuts that had to be made.
I would be interested in this too. You had pics of the fenders before you installed them with lines showing where you made the cuts, but, none on the inside of the fender to show how they cuts relate to the frame. I , too, would like a visual before I start cutting, Thanks!

Jerry
Unread 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #85
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, not much work done this weekend, as Mean Max can tell you , it rained practically the entire weekend!!! I did take the flares and the side markers off the CJ fenders, as well as some metal bending on the passenger side fender. The PO of the donor Jeep hit something on the front of the fender and bent the front down and the side just behind the side marker bent out some. I think I got it reasonably straight now, won't need as much bondo to get back the shape, LOL!! There are a few concerns on the fenders, more rust then I thought. It's mostly on the lower sections of the inner fender, so, I think most, if not all, can be cut out when I do the trimming to make it fit around the YJ frame. Well, that's all I did this weekend, hope I have better luck next weekend, LOL!!

Jerry
Unread 03-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #86
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
....hope I have better luck next weekend, LOL!!

Jerry
I hope I do too Jerry, not only did it rain most of the time, my'91 AX-15 finally kicked the bucket.

I lost the ability to shift into 2nd gear on Saturday morning.

Speed/rev matching doesn't help either. I'll be ordering my rebuild kit & Luk Gold clutch kit tomorrow I guess.

UGH!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 03-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #87
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hope I do too Jerry, not only did it rain most of the time, my'91 AX-15 finally kicked the bucket.

I lost the ability to shift into 2nd gear on Saturday morning.

Speed/rev matching doesn't help either. I'll be ordering my rebuild kit & Luk Gold clutch kit tomorrow I guess.

UGH!

Max
If you find some internal parts that are broken, I still have my old AX15 that you can steal parts from! My only problems that I know with it were the sychros, but, I'm not totally sure what else could have gone bad. It has over 227K miles on it, LOL!!

Jerry
Unread 03-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #88
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you find some internal parts that are broken, I still have my old AX15 that you can steal parts from! My only problems that I know with it were the sychros, but, I'm not totally sure what else could have gone bad. It has over 227K miles on it, LOL!!

Jerry
Thanks for the offer Jerry! After I get it apart I may take you up on that!

I ordered the syncros/bearings/gasket kit today from a vendor on flea-bay for $175 & free shipping.

Thanks again Jerry!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 03-28-2009, 10:12 AM   #89
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, got paint on the CJ fenders. I have one coat on the passenger side fender and two coats on the driver side fender. They don't look TOO bad. Like I said before, I just want to get some paint on them to keep from rusting until I do the complete body work on the whole Jeep, then, paint the whole Jeep to match. Here are the pics:

Next weekend will be the fitting and install of the fenders to complete the project, WOOHOO!!

Jerry
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #90
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Jerry! After I get it apart I may take you up on that!

I ordered the syncros/bearings/gasket kit today from a vendor on flea-bay for $175 & free shipping.

Thanks again Jerry!

Max
Nice!!! Let me know if you need some help,

Jerry

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.