My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #61
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbikers View Post
hey Jerry....how often do you use the rod holder? just a thought...fab a removeable 2" receiver up front (pins/clips), mount the rod holder on a piece of 2" square tubing and slide it in when you are goin' fishin'...best of both worlds...
That's my plan, Whenever I get back to NC, I'll get the shop that made it to make a receiver mount for it.

Jerry

Unread 03-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #62
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbikers View Post
nope....that's how i got it....i believe that the "islanders" had painted flares.
Here it is as i bought it in the po's front yard that fateful day back in '06.

Here it is today...not nearly as clean, but it's brought me a lot of fun and i anticipate it will continue to...

I have to say that the YJ fenders line up alot better for you then me!! Great job!!! My fenders were not in that great of shape, so, that's probably the reason yours looked better then mine. LOVE the Renegade markings!!!

Jerry
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #63
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

dbikers that looks good man! you guys are tempting me more and more to do this... I've already got the cj tailgate and Im almost finished with the cj dash I guess if I did the front clip it would basicly be a beefed up cj with all the benefits of a yj, wider frame fuel inj. dana 35 then again maybe I should work on getting my 44 swapped in first lol.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #64
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Remember when placing the fenders small cuts a lot of fits ! And don't rush~
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #65
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
dbikers that looks good man! you guys are tempting me more and more to do this... I've already got the cj tailgate and Im almost finished with the cj dash I guess if I did the front clip it would basicly be a beefed up cj with all the benefits of a yj, wider frame fuel inj. dana 35 then again maybe I should work on getting my 44 swapped in first lol.
For function, $$ probably better spent on the D-44......i had $100 in this "swap" and have been wanting to do it for a long time...guess what, when my 35 takes a dump the round headlights wont help me a bit!!!
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #66
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

at least itll look cool on the side of the road or trail though haha. I have the MJ 44 sitting in my garage too as well as the perches for it I just need to decide what I want to do for a locker and buy some gears since it had 3.07s in now and my yj has 4.10s. The only reason im even doing my dash swap now is because Im laid off and have a buttload of time on my hands and no money. I had been saving up parts for it since last summer and been waiting till I had the time to do it without having to get it done in like 2 days to drive it to work monday so... I dont want to do something ill regret with the 44, I know I want some sort of locker but I dont have 500 bucks to drop right now, ever when I am working thats still a good sized investment thats hard to explain the need for to my wife. I may just get gears for the time being and then do an aussie later I dunno we'll see.
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #67
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrisher View Post
Remember when placing the fenders small cuts a lot of fits ! And don't rush~
I'll have a whole weekend devoted to this, so, slow it will go, Did your YJ fenders come off easy, or, did you have issues with the captive nuts?

Jerry
Unread 03-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #68
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As far as my CJ/YJ dash, I got the CJ gauges from the same donor CJ-7 that I got the fenders from. Again, thanks, CJinPA! Here are the gauges:

When I get started on the dash, I'll start another thread.

Jerry
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #69
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet. I as ussual I didnt really take pics as I was working but I'll put up some pics when I'm done, hopefully tomarrow if my parts from qtec come in. I'm like painfully close but I had to stop because Im out of parts. I think the hybrid dash is gonna be cool I woulda probably tried something like that if my yj dash wasnt such a turd.
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #70
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

One thing I was pleasantly surprised to see was the gauges and especially the needles are not faded that bad! I was worried that the 33 year old gauges would have faded alot more, but, I'm not complaining,

Jerry

Last edited by JeepsOLot; 03-17-2009 at 03:17 PM..
JeepsOLot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #71
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yea they look good, my wife bought me autometer oil pres and voltage gauges for my b day last year which match the cj cluster nice so those are mint and my speedo looks about the same as yours. Its a nice setup I', exited to finally see it come together after a year of staring at the parts in my computer room. Its real easy to roll to cj odo to your current mileage too if you would like.
Unread 03-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #72
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your gauges look pretty good. When I got mine, I took it apart to clean the glass and change the odemeter. I plan to put leds in place of my bulbs. Might be something you ought to check out since you have it out right now. I love the front clip switch. I am looking for a clip to change mine out. Looking good, keep us posted on the next update.
1bad92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #73
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad92yj View Post
Your gauges look pretty good. When I got mine, I took it apart to clean the glass and change the odemeter. I plan to put leds in place of my bulbs. Might be something you ought to check out since you have it out right now. I love the front clip switch. I am looking for a clip to change mine out. Looking good, keep us posted on the next update.
Ok, a couple of questions since you guys brought them up. What is the best way to open up the speedo, and how did you guys roll the odometer, just chuck it in a drill and go to town? I've got to go from 160K to over 228K miles, Thanks!!

Jerry
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #74
yjjustforme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
LOL, I get that all the time!! It's an aluminum fishing rod rack with a fold down for a cooler. I'm thinking of taking it off tomorrow to see how it looks. The sad thing is, this is the one thing that sets this Jeep out from the rest, but, on the other hand, it kinda hides the CJ grille, So, I'm just going to see what it looks like, I might have to ditch it anyway when I get a winch. I just can't seem to come up with a good solution to still have it, and have a winch. Oh, well.

Jerry
Thats easy just mount it to the tailgate!
Unread 03-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #75
1bad92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
Ok, a couple of questions since you guys brought them up. What is the best way to open up the speedo, and how did you guys roll the odometer, just chuck it in a drill and go to town? I've got to go from 160K to over 228K miles, Thanks!!

Jerry
To open the speedo, there is metal tabs crimped along the back edge of the speedo. You have to get a screwdriver/pliers and pry them up. There is also 2 screws on the back. Once that is done, it will open up in 3 diff. pieces, the glass/rim, backhousing, and the speedo/odometer. I had to roll mine quite abit and so I decided that it would be easiest to take the odo roll of #'s out. You'll prob. want to do the same since it wont let you spin them in the housing. There is a thin medal rod hooking onto the odo roll, it has to be unhooked in order to be able to pull it out. On the bottom of the rod is also hooked to the housing, this is the side that you will need to unhook and push up on. I know it sounds complicated, its not. If you have any questions or need me to take some pics, feel free to ask. Thanx, Cody
1bad92yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.