My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #46
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrisher View Post
Lookin' good, I love the converted front clip! I really like what it's done to my Jeep
You, my friend, are my inspiration, Seeing your Jeep made me get off my butt, travel almost 2000 miles round trip, just to bring my CJ grille and hood from my parents house in VA down here to FL!! I'll be using your dash thread, but, I'm going to use the YJ heater/vent controls, just so no one can say I copied you, I think it'll be cool, different!! Thanks for the comments, and in the next few weeks, I'll get the CJ fenders on, and show you the results,

Jerry

Unread 03-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #47
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Gret! I'm glad to see it all coming together for you! It's a good looking set-up you got there.

For some reason you'r fan seems much closer than mine, not too sure why. How did you do the front radiator support? I think I welded mine a bit diferent that yours
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #48
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Another thought for you comming from someone who's done the conversion...

For your next step with the fenders remember to make small cuts and Fit a lot. And I mean it, make small cuts and keep re-fitting the fender. You dont want to over cut them.

To get the CJ fender on the YJ you'll need to cut them quire a bit, the shock towers are in diferent postiions and are larger on the YJ.

Get a new wheel for your grinder and take your time!
Unread 03-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #49
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

so if your fenders were in great shape..... would you have just left them?? or do the look hack by not switching them?

it does look sweet though
captainauti is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #50
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Nice work on the grill and hood.

Those pipes look like a pipe organ on the front.

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #51
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, guys! I'm STILL waiting on the CJ fenders, , hopefully, they'll be here tomorrow. They should have been here on Sat, Oh, well, guess I'll try the Greyhound station tomorrow! Let me say that shipping big things with Greyhound is the BEST and CHEAPEST way to go, I highly recommend them, I'll let you guys know when I get them and start, hopefully next weekend. Have one question for the people that have done this, how much of a PITA is it to get the bolts that hold the fenders on out? I've been soaking them with PB for about a week, should that be enough, or, should I be looking for a fight as to getting to the captive nuts? Thanks!

Jerry
Unread 03-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #52
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you dont mind me asking what did they charge you?

I know It as a PITA to find someone to ship mine. I ended up paying throuigh the nose after negotating with 5 diferent carriers.
Unread 03-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #53
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you dont mind me asking what did they charge you?
From PA to South FL, it cost me $102 to ship 2 fenders and a set of CJ gauges, not the whole dash, just the gauges. The package has to be under 100 lbs, in my case, it was 55 lbs. I'm sure there is a size limit, but, other then the weight limit, I don't know. I got an AX15 shipped for the same price from PA to South FL. I had an AX5 shipped to me from VA for $105. Both trannies were right at the $100 limit. I also had an antique radio with glass tubes and dial shipped down here from Mich, for $110. No breakage what so ever, I'm a believer in these guys!

Jerry
Unread 03-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #54
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

not to jack the op....
i too have been thinking about this for some time ...finally got a few pics tonight...will get better pics when the weather breaks.....not quite done yet, need some marker lights and will eventually get cj fenders and paint the front clip...

Unread 03-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #55
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice. That thing looks badass.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #56
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You painted the Fender Flares....?
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #57
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You painted the Fender Flares....?
nope....that's how i got it....i believe that the "islanders" had painted flares.
Here it is as i bought it in the po's front yard that fateful day back in '06.

Here it is today...not nearly as clean, but it's brought me a lot of fun and i anticipate it will continue to...

Unread 03-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #58
dbikers
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hey Jerry....how often do you use the rod holder? just a thought...fab a removeable 2" receiver up front (pins/clips), mount the rod holder on a piece of 2" square tubing and slide it in when you are goin' fishin'...best of both worlds...
Unread 03-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #59
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My last parts finally came, WOOHOO!!
Driver's side CJ fender

Passenger side CJ fender

And the CJ grille supports

Thanks to CJinPA for these final pieces to this puzzle
I was quite surprised that the fenders came with the side marker lights as well as the flares, pieces I was going to try to get soon, but, now, I have them!!

Maybe this coming weekend, I'll put them on. We'll see!!

Jerry
Unread 03-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #60
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
LOL, I get that all the time!! It's an aluminum fishing rod rack with a fold down for a cooler. I'm thinking of taking it off tomorrow to see how it looks. The sad thing is, this is the one thing that sets this Jeep out from the rest, but, on the other hand, it kinda hides the CJ grille, So, I'm just going to see what it looks like, I might have to ditch it anyway when I get a winch. I just can't seem to come up with a good solution to still have it, and have a winch. Oh, well.

Jerry

Use the winch to help haul in the "big ones"

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.