My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #31
evilwaysYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ditch the fishing pole holder, let people see the beautiful cj front end

93 yj 4.0 with 4:10's rolling on 33 12.5 15 BFG a/t's
evilwaysYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #32
jordanw_125
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quick question: would it be feasible to just swap the grille? Not the hood and fenders? I just bought a hood for mine, but I wanna do this swap. Would it look goofy?
jordanw_125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #33
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the CJ hood rounds on the corners, but the YJ hood is somewhat angular IIRC.

OP, great work! i believe you will like the look without the rod holder...but you may be able to fab up a way to mount it to the rear. get on with the next project man! do the CJ dash! you wont regret it...i know i don't

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #34
broken-fish
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I do need both but either helps I put my foot through the drivers side and the passengers is a wheel well (whats left of it anyways). thanks

p.s. I agree take off the rod rack.
broken-fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #35
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OK, this is the face I was looking for,

I REALLY like how the CJ-9 looks without the rod rack! I'm not going to do anymore to the front except one set of fog lights, and a Warn Power Plant, I will get a new bumper at some point, but, it's not going to look much different to what I have now, except it'll be stainless, not chrome!! What is everyone's opinion? I know it isn't perfect, but, I'm just buying time until the CJ fenders come,

Jerry
Unread 03-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #36
Brads_nky_yj

Looks 1000000x better man! That looks sweet!
Unread 03-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #37
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
Looks 1000000x better man! That looks sweet!
Thanks, man!! I can't wait to swap out the fenders!! I don't think I'll be able to do it next weekend, I have an AX15 that I got almost a month ago that needs to go in!!! If I have time, things tend to take a little longer for me then most (After all my last name is Murphy), I'll work on the fenders.

jgillespie, I'm a head of ya on the CJ dash, with the fenders, I'm getting a full set of '76 gauges from the same donor CJ7. I found some dash panels for the YJ dash to make a custom dash. I'm going to replace the whole dash with these flat panels, except for the glove box area, which I've already replaced with a Tuffy box that is flat as well. I think it's going to look sweet!! I'm getting the center panel with radio and climate controls, that way, I'll just use my YJ climate controls instead of trying to make the CJ stuff work. It'll be different, even more so then the complete CJ dash swap. Not sure when I'll get around to that, but, it's in the works,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone,

Jerry
Unread 03-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #38
Dubl0Vert
1984 CJ7 

I miss the rod rack........yeah, I said it!!!

too many great summers on the obx beaches wheeling and fishing....I feel like the rod rack is a right of passage. why not mount it on a reciever hitch and mount the socket on your front bumpre, then just pull it when you don't need it...
Dubl0Vert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #39
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

looks really great man, you did a nice job
i've started looking for a cj7 hood and grille now
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #40
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl0Vert View Post
I miss the rod rack........yeah, I said it!!!

too many great summers on the obx beaches wheeling and fishing....I feel like the rod rack is a right of passage. why not mount it on a receiver hitch and mount the socket on your front bumpre, then just pull it when you don't need it...
LOL! My wife says it looks "naked" without the rod rack!! Well, I'm going to do that, make a receiver for the front, and mount this on when I do get back to the OBX. This was done for me on 23rd b-day, the year after I got the Jeep. It was made by a small boat shop in Wanchese, near Manteo, NC. This was in '98, a couple of years later, everyone started to mass-produce them by the hundreds to the "tourist" fisherman, as my dad calls the seasonal people that come down during the summer. Hell, you could find these things in the local K-mart and Walmart, . This rack has been on my Jeep for 10 yrs, minus a couple of months while I got it "repaired" (not too pleased with the "repair" job, but, it was free, and it made it functional). So, have no fear, the 'Rack will still be used,

Jerry
Unread 03-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #41
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks classic man I love it. How noticable is it that the yj fenders are pulled in? I kinda want to do this but I have aftermarket fender flares that fit the yj fenders and wouldnt fit the cj fenders and I dont want to buy another set so Im wondering...
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #42
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
looks classic man I love it. How noticable is it that the yj fenders are pulled in? I kinda want to do this but I have aftermarket fender flares that fit the yj fenders and wouldnt fit the cj fenders and I dont want to buy another set so Im wondering...
I guess the pic of the driver's side would give you the best angle to see. The passenger side fender is kinda beat up, and the driver's side has some issues too, so, my Jeep isn't a really good example. It doesn't look too bad, you would need to do some body work on the YJ fenders to hide the holes where the original grille went. Good luck!!

Jerry
Unread 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #43
oompaloompasc3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks real good man...

What ever happen to the yj hood?
1994 Jeep Wrangler SE 4.0 manual, AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Red Optima, Banks Chip, Banks Header, Custom Downpipe, Flowmaster 50 Series, 35x12.50.15 BFG All Terrains, Black Steel Wheels with Simulated Beadlock, 3" Rancho Suspension, 3" BL, 3/4" brandon_yj Shackles, Line-X everywhere, So much more to do....
oompaloompasc3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #44
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompasc3 View Post
Looks real good man...

What ever happen to the yj hood?
It's sitting on my patio, waiting for me to get off my butt and post it in the classifieds. You want it?

Jerry
Unread 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #45
rrisher
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin' good, I love the converted front clip! I really like what it's done to my Jeep
rrisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.