My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 02-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #16
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJcoYJ View Post
are the connectors for the headlights all the same?

you don't have a shot directly from the front, does the grille sit flush on the YJ fenders, from the sides it looks like theres a gap ?
The connectors for the headlights are the same, but NOT the ones for the turn signal lights on the grille. The CJ ones only have two wires coming out of them, and the YJ ones have four!! Thank God I have my '92 FSM, just have to look at it to see what wire goes where. I do know that someone did this on an '87, and it had three wires, two of them were like the CJ ones, but, the third was a ground wire that the CJ lights didn't have as they were grounded through the grille screws.

As for the fenders, I haven't got them pulled into the grille yet. That's going to be the last thing I do tomorrow, after getting the wiring and the radiator straight. Oh, I still have to fab the body mount for the CJ grille, can;t forget that,

Jerry

Unread 02-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Why didn't you just wait for the CJ fenders? Impatient much?
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompatt View Post
Why didn't you just wait for the CJ fenders? Impatient much?
Yes, I should be swapping out my AX15, but, NOOOO, I just HAD to swap out the CJ stuff first, I'm dumb!!

Jerry
Unread 02-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thats how these things usually go jerry

hopefully we'll be seeing pics tomorrow night
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You either need a body lift, or to cut your grille down, so your hood will lay flat. CJ grilles are an inch or so taller, so you have to make up that hight somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #21
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckinauster View Post
You either need a body lift, or to cut your grille down, so your hood will lay flat. CJ grilles are an inch or so taller, so you have to make up that hight somewhere.
It will lay flat, I just haven't pulled the fenders in to mate with the grille yet. I have a 1"BL on now, as well as cut out the section of the grille above the power steering lines on the steering box. One of the guys was right, you couldn't beat that 1" puck between the CJ grille mount and the YJ frame mount if you wanted to!!! That does help alot!!! On thing I noticed to, the Jeep doesn't look to have a flat nose like it did with the YJ grille and hood.

Well, I'm gone, will get you guys pics tomorrow of the finished product,

Jerry
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #22
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, Round 1 is complete.

With all the lights working:

Here is a pic of how close the fan clutch is to the radiator:

What does everyone think? Should I take the fishing rod rack off or not?
Round 2 will commence when the fenders show up this week sometime,

Jerry
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #23
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ooks good but ill bet youll be happier with the cj fenders. How well were you able to make the yj ones fit ? honestly I gotta say loose that rod holder and show off that sweet cj grill. maybe you could make an adapter or modify it to attach to a hitch reciever when you need it or something.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #24
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ya if you went to the trouble to install a CJ grill you might aswell show it off!

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #25
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
ooks good but ill bet youll be happier with the cj fenders. How well were you able to make the yj ones fit ? honestly I gotta say loose that rod holder and show off that sweet cj grill. maybe you could make an adapter or modify it to attach to a hitch reciever when you need it or something.
As for the CJ fenders, they are coming, and yes, I'll be much happier with them, these YJ fenders are beat up pretty good.

As for the YJ fenders, I just used sheet metal screws, three on each side, and brought them in. I did that at an angle so they would be pulled up and in at the same time. I used 2" long screws to do this.

As far as the rod rack, I'm thinking it has to go too. It sucks because a local welding shop on the Outer Banks, NC, built it for me custom, before they started to be mass-produced. But, on the other hand, it has issues, someone backed into me, and that aluminum just doesn't hold up to well to any sort of bashing. I might still keep it, maybe, like you said, make it to mount on a 2" receiver, and, then, I can take it off, or put it on when I need it,
It really does hide that grille more then I would like. I'll take it off tomorrow after work, and post more pics.

Jerry
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #26
oompaloompasc3
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That looks really good. What does it look like without the rod holder? Also could you weld something on to it to make it a hitch for the rear? Just a suggestion....
1994 Jeep Wrangler SE 4.0 manual, AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Red Optima, Banks Chip, Banks Header, Custom Downpipe, Flowmaster 50 Series, 35x12.50.15 BFG All Terrains, Black Steel Wheels with Simulated Beadlock, 3" Rancho Suspension, 3" BL, 3/4" brandon_yj Shackles, Line-X everywhere, So much more to do....
oompaloompasc3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #27
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Take the rod rack off. Functional maybe, but I personally think they look horrible. And yeah, you should show off your new shiny grille, don't hide it!

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #28
Jkanly

Man that rod rack has to go, haha. I think you'd be happier with it in a different location, as oompaloompa said you might be able to mount it on the rear somehow? maybe you could have the same shop modify it for you?
l---L –0lllllll0-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #29
broken-fish
1989 YJ Wrangler 

are you still in florida? if so what are you doing with the yj fenders?
broken-fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #30
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments, guys! I think I'll take the rod rack off tomorrow, assuming I can get the bolts off the bumper!

As for the YJ fenders, broken-fish, there's a guy on here that asked about the passenger side fender. To be quiet honest, these fenders are not in real good shape, the passenger side one being the worst. I made that clear with pics, and he wants it still. I'll have the driver's side one available when I swap fenders, if you're still interested. I'll send you pics when I pull them, if you like.

Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.