My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 02-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My YJ to CJ-9 Conversion Thread

OK, this is going to be a long one, so, get some beers, I'm converting my YJ front to CJ front using the YJ radiator and, for now, the YJ fenders. Now, let me tell you, I'm not too concerned about the YJ fenders, one, because they are messed up, and two, in a week or two, I'll be getting some CJ fenders to replace them. Anyway, this is the Jeep before work:

Now, removing the YJ hood and grille isn't rocket science:

Now, putting on the CJ hood, again, just unbolt one hood and bolt the other:

Jerry

Last edited by JeepsOLot; 02-28-2009 at 06:33 PM..
JeepsOLot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Now, for comparison between YJ and CJ griilles and hoods:

Now, fitting of the CJ grille was tricky, got to have it so the radiator would fit, but, the hood needed to latch onto the grille. Here's the fitting:

For the radiator, I had to make some mounts for the radiator, but, had to be careful as not to make it too far back so it will hit the fan clutch. Unlike you 4 cyl guys that have almost a foot of room to deal with, us 6 cyl guys have to be ingenious, In these pics, I have only two of the four mounts made up just for fitting purposes:

For tomorrow, I'll have to take it out and make the other pieces. I'll post better pics of how it is mounted in the CJ grille once the grille is back out of the Jeep again.

Jerry
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is how she is right now, fitted with radiator, grille, and hood:

For tomorrow, permanently mounting the radiator, fitting the YJ fenders, and wiring the lights. Please, let me know if there any pitfalls as to fitting the fenders up, thanks!!

Jerry
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like some good work there. I doubt you will be surprised by this question, but what is that huge chrome thing supposed to be?
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

LOL, I get that all the time!! It's an aluminum fishing rod rack with a fold down for a cooler. I'm thinking of taking it off tomorrow to see how it looks. The sad thing is, this is the one thing that sets this Jeep out from the rest, but, on the other hand, it kinda hides the CJ grille, So, I'm just going to see what it looks like, I might have to ditch it anyway when I get a winch. I just can't seem to come up with a good solution to still have it, and have a winch. Oh, well.

Jerry
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
LOL, I get that all the time!! It's an aluminum fishing rod rack with a fold down for a cooler. I'm thinking of taking it off tomorrow to see how it looks. The sad thing is, this is the one thing that sets this Jeep out from the rest, but, on the other hand, it kinda hides the CJ grille, So, I'm just going to see what it looks like, I might have to ditch it anyway when I get a winch. I just can't seem to come up with a good solution to still have it, and have a winch. Oh, well.

Jerry
Looking good.

Hey man.. i want one of those. haha. i LOVE to fish. wanna know wat sets mine from the rest??

Take a guess.

Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thats a tough one, something is different?
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What are the tubes in the front?
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
What are the tubes in the front?
didnt you read the thread!?
Unread 02-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompatt View Post
Looking good.

Hey man.. i want one of those. haha. i LOVE to fish. wanna know wat sets mine from the rest??

Take a guess.

Nice squares, man!!! I like the rear bumper, , I read the square LED thread, I couldn't help it! Go figure, everyone seems to want square lights in the front, but, round LED ones in the rear!? I went the opposite, square LED's in the back, and round ones up front,

Jerry
Unread 02-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
Nice squares, man!!! I like the rear bumper, , I read the square LED thread, I couldn't help it! Go figure, everyone seems to want square lights in the front, but, round LED ones in the rear!? I went the opposite, square LED's in the back, and round ones up front,

Jerry
yea makes me mad. haha.
Unread 02-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks good man, put up some more pics as you go. Tompatt those taillights look right at home on your jeep. are they just universal truck lights or did you pull them from something ? nice to see something different once in a while!
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepyj View Post
looks good man, put up some more pics as you go. Tompatt those taillights look right at home on your jeep. are they just universal truck lights or did you pull them from something ? nice to see something different once in a while!
PO put them on. idk.. and those lights on the light bar are what rescue vehicles use.
Unread 02-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

oh ok now that I think about it those tail lights kinda look like they could be from an ambulance or something. I guess that makes sence, looks cool tho I am currious what they would look like flipped sideways like you said
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

are the connectors for the headlights all the same?

you don't have a shot directly from the front, does the grille sit flush on the YJ fenders, from the sides it looks like theres a gap ?
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.