My YJ Build - Yet another build thread!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ Build - Yet another build thread!!

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
oilburnnjeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Man how did you get my Jeep?....mine looks almost identical to yours....mine is off the frame right now for a SOA conversion and either 302 or 4BT Cummins swap...I have the same rusty frame and everything...thanks for posting my pics

Last edited by oilburnnjeep; 10-27-2009 at 09:06 PM..
oilburnnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #17
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Allright. I'm finally getting around to getting this project off the ground again. I took a long break from it over the winter and have been slowly working on it again over the spring and summer. Here is a list of what I have done:

Took it all the way down to the frame. Went over the entire frame with a hammer/screwdriver/air chisel looking for weak spots. I also have had it sandblasted. After doing that I actually found a couple of more weak spots. All have been patched/welded and I am confident that the frame is solid. I have since had the frame hot dip galvanized and am in the process of preparing it for a coat of protective paint. I will snap pictures of it tonight before I etch it.

Back in the fall I found a great deal on a tub/windshield frame hatch from a cash for clunkers victim. There is only one spot on the entire tub that needs to be patched. The tub was from an 88 that had 45000 original miles on it. Looked to be garage kept. Made me sick to think about it but i made out like a bandit. The junkyard left the dash in as well as the heater core, the roll bar with excellent padding and seat belts. I have swapped all of the gauges and wiring from the old tub in. The junkyard cut all of the wiring and took the gauges out. Again I believe I have some pictures of the new tub I will post soon.

I pulled the motor and took it to the machine shop and had it reworked. I have the rebuild kit and home and will be putting it pack together soon. I know it's a 4 banger but the rebuild is a learning experience and was a cheaper alternative than putting in a bigger motor at this time.

Last night I cleaned/degreased the axles/tie rod/draglink/skidplate/track bars in preparation or etching for paint. Etching with metal ready will occur tonight or tomorrow.

I put new ball joints in the axles as well.

On the list to do is:

New front u-joints. I already started this, pulled the shafts. They are so rusted/fused in place that it will take some work to get them apart. Any ideas?

New brake lines. Bought a kit from Classic tube when JC Whitney had a 25 percent off special.

All new rear drum hardware

4 inch lift

New **** Cepek wheels and Mud Country Tires. got an absolute killer deal on these from a friend.

Install an SYE

Herculine the tub

I may try to find a power steering unit from a Durango to beef things up a bit as well.

I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting.

I will keep you posted...
bluexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
YJMonster
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Cant wait to see more progress keep it up
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #19
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Added some new pics... A couple of the new tub. Note the big D for destroy on the windshield frame. I saved her.... A couple of other pics of the motor being pulled and the frame.
tub1.jpg   tub2.jpg   windshield.jpg   hoist.jpg   trans.jpg  

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #20
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

More pics of the newly galvanized frame!!!!
frame1.jpg   frame3.jpg   frame2.jpg  
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #21
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hopefully today I will be painting the frame and axles. I prepped everything with RustBlast last night. Frame is up on sawhorses waiting and ready.
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #22
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Frame and axles are painted! Pics tomorrow. Tomorrows agenda is to start assembly the rolling chassy.
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #23
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here are a few new pics...
frame1.jpg   frame2.jpg   wheel.jpg  
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #24
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Heres how she sits right now.
2010-07-16-23.28.22.jpg  
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #25
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its nice to see you are going into such detail to make sure it is rite when you get it built...
I'm going to enjoy watching this restore... Not fond of the rims but the tires look good siting on there.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #26
kirbatron
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow.
kirbatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

forumrunner_20120711_130516.jpg

forumrunner_20120711_130535.jpg

forumrunner_20120711_130600.jpg

What she looks like now!
Unread 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #28
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was horrible at taking pics throughout this process but it's finally nearing the end. My future plans for the YJ include herculining the tub and regearing the axles when I have the money. I have some odds and ends to finish up with build as well like findng the vacuum leak I know is there, figuring out why the fuse for all of the dash gauges keeps blowing and figuring out why she is running rich. Currently I don't have 4wd. I am going with a posi lock as soon as I have time to install it. It's been fun and frustrating experience at times and definitely a learning experience since this was the first time I've attempted anything like this!
Unread 07-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
wallydude
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice, bluexj. I didn't realize until looking at your last post that this project started almost three years ago. Great job. Have fun with her!
wallydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.