My YJ Build - Yet another build thread!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My YJ Build - Yet another build thread!!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 10-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My YJ Build - Yet another build thread!! New Pics!

I recently bought a 1991 YJ really cheap. I don't I really knew what I was getting into when I bought it but it is now turning into pretty much a frame off restore. I'm pretty green when it comes to wrenching although I do have a 98 XJ that I have worked on. A lot of the work on the XJ has come with the help of friends. By the time I get done with this build I probably could have bought a decent YJ that didn't need as much work but I'm looking at this as a learning experience and it will be something I restored and be proud of. My dad has been helping me with this too and it is a great experience to be working with him. You never know how much time you have left with your parents so I like to spend as much time as possible with them. Now for some pictures:

A little rust on behind the windshield frame:

Floor is not too solid!!

Fenders off:

Here is the worst part of the frame. I will be having a friend help me weld this:

Uh oh! I broke the mounting bolt to the grill off!!

Last edited by bluexj; 07-08-2010 at 09:45 PM..
bluexj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
John-Boy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Oh dear...it hurts to look.

Glad to see another YJ being saved from the scrapyard! Good luck with your project...I'm sure you'll come out with something you can be proud to say you built.
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Clamwacker
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oh boy! This is going to be interesting to follow, if only for the rust repair! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Are you going to be upgrading axles or engine or anything while you've got it all torn down?
Red Jeep Club #496
Clamwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
doubleroost
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a fun looking project. Good luck.
doubleroost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I guess I should have put my plans for the rebuild....

I found a great deal on an 88 tub/tailgate/windshield frame with only one tiny rust spot so I will be doing a tub swap. The new tub came with all the dash components minus the gauges and is in way better condition. I'll get pics of that soon, it is stored in my dads shed.

I plan on restoring the frame as long as there is nothing to indicate that it absolutely needs a new frame, however until I get to the time when it is time to put everything back together I am keeping an eye out for whatever deals I can including a new frame if I find the right price.

As for the engine, I keep going round and round. I would love to upgrade but right now that adds to the cost of this project. New motor, new tranny, different splined t-case, different fan etc... and I am trying to keep the cose as low as possible right now. Maybe down the road unless I find a killer deal on the parts or a donor vehicle that I can part the rest from. For now I will probably keep the 2.5. I don't plan on taking this thing on highway trips. I have a friend

I will be replacing the body mounts, por-15ing the frame/axles/etc.., most likely a 4 inch lift with 33's I might put an SYE on before I put it back together just because it will be much easier with the vehicle apart.

I will be replacing anything else that is needed as I take the YJ apart.

At the moment I don't plan on wheeling they YJ much as I have my XJ built for offroading. But I'm sure the itch will be there to wheel topless!!
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Clamwacker
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would definitely recommend the SYE if you're lifting it 4". I have about 4" on mine, and it eats u-joints for breakfast, but I have the 4.0 and a lead foot... not sure if that makes a difference since you almost certainly have 4.10 gears behind your 2.5. If I ever get to a point where my budget allows me to upgrade rather than just fix things as they break, then the SYE is the first thing that I'll be putting on there.
Red Jeep Club #496
Clamwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
WalrusPaul
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar project, only with less body rust and more frame rust.

Good luck, the feeling when you finish and it drives again.... indescribable.

Looking for a set of four 35-37" tires you want to sell. PM me!
WalrusPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I plan on restoring the frame as long as there is nothing to indicate that it absolutely needs a new frame, however until I get to the time when it is time to put everything back together I am keeping an eye out for whatever deals I can including a new frame if I find the right price.
Now, I have never heard a mechanic or any Jeeper say this, but logically I figure that if part of the frame has had the chance to get that bad, there has to be other spots that are just as bad, if not worse.

If I was going to go through the work to repair frame rot, I would simply buy a new frame. That way I would have 100% assurance that it's solid.

Just my
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
Now, I have never heard a mechanic or any Jeeper say this, but logically I figure that if part of the frame has had the chance to get that bad, there has to be other spots that are just as bad, if not worse.

If I was going to go through the work to repair frame rot, I would simply buy a new frame. That way I would have 100% assurance that it's solid.

Just my
I have never heard on say that either

Really though, the rest of the frame seems pretty solid although a new frame is not out of the question should I find one for sale.
Unread 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with it! As with all build threads I will be following along.
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #11
WalrusPaul
1990 YJ Wrangler 

if you're confident in your friends fabrication and welding skills, go for it.

I used to weld to make my paycheck and had to pass frequent welding quality tests, all the way down to how much carbon i was putting into the welds, the percentages of zinc i burned out in stainless (0% ) and they x rayed them to look for bubbles inside the weld.

I am confident my welding will last as long as a brand new frame would.

Looking for a set of four 35-37" tires you want to sell. PM me!
WalrusPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluexj View Post
I have never heard on say that either
That's ok, but does it make sense to someone else?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
That's ok, but does it make sense to someone else?
Ok so I can't type. It should read...

I have never heard one say that either...

I thought your were being sarcastic but I must have misread it. I have heard some other jeepers say if one spot is that bad it may have rust and rot elsewhere.

So, I appreciate your comment and that train of though has crossed my mind. I have thouroughly checked the rest of the frame and it seems pretty solid.
Unread 10-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #14
Gobi_Gred
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I repaired my frame. Had to cut the front 18" of the frame off. I would reccomend that you have it sandblasted. I found several spots that I previously missed. If you take the gas tank out check the inside of the framerails right inside the rear support. Also, above the rear shock mounts, and leave a drain hole when you repair it. Under the bump stops and skidplate can be pretty nasty. I had mine powder coated after I made these repairs for about 450.00 and worth every penny. If you do that make absolutly sure you have finished ALL your welding done on it. Good luck on your build. Mine took two and a half years and worth every second.
Gobi_Gred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
bluexj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Heres a few more pics. I have been working on this as I have time. Not going as fast as I want it to but I really knew that would be the case. Still for an amateur mechanic I have done pretty well I think. I have more pics and have made more progress than what I show here.

Currently I have the jeep down to the frame and axles with the motor in pieces ready for a rebuild. I will post pictures of those soon. I have gone over most of the frame with a wire brush and a hammer chisel to knock off all of the rust and loose stuff. In doing so I found one other spot on the frame that will need repaired. Everything else seems to be not too bad. I am going to fashion something for my shop vac to get as much of the stuff that I have knocked loose inside the frame out. I will also attempt to use KBS coatings rust proofer inside the frame.

I have also completed the dash swap to the new tub. I will post pics of that soon.

on the trailer at my dads house for from pressure washing

me pressure washing the crud off the frame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.