Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

my YJ build "chitty chitty bang bang"

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  bigrubbers4x4 
#1 ·
hello everyone, i know i dont post alot on here but, i wanted to share my project with all of you. its a 93 YJ 4 banger, its project name right now is "chitty chitty bang bang" because of all the noises it made when i first bought it and wheeled it for 2 months before having to tear it down to the frame. ok here are some build pics.

this is what it looked like the morning i brought it home

this is later that afternoon, i just had to see if my 32's off my pickup would fit under it since it had a 2" BL on it when i bought it.

this is the next day when i wanted to see if my 33's would fit it from off my grand cherokee.

i couldn't believe this thing fit in my basement. i had to put the 30" BFG A/T's off my 5.9L grand on it to fit it in. it rubs both doors going in and coming out but at least i am warm and dry in the winter when i have to work on it.

when i bought this thing it leaked oil from the valve cover badly, all the cover bolts were so loose i could unscrew them by hand, the muffler was shot, the exhaust manifold and intake manifold gaskets were missing, there was a exhaust manifold bolt broken off in the head, the frame was rusty by the power steering pump, the rear frame horns were shot, the slave cylinder was going out and of course its and internal one, the cross member that holds the gas tank up broke apart when i launched it off a hill climb the second time i took it wheeling which is what caused me to tear it down to the frame for repairs.

See less See more
#3 ·

of course it had to rain when we took the body off the frame. it was more like a monsoon for a while when we were doing it....lol.

i wire wheeled the entire frame down to bare metal since i had the body off of it and repainted it with rustoleum black gloss, oil base paint. while i had it down to bare metal i filled in some of the useless holes in the rear of the frame to try and keep the dirt and crap out of the frame.

remember that gas tank cross member, well i dont think this on will rust out or break like that flimsy piece of sheet metal they were calling a cross member.

since i got the fly wheel resurfaced i decided to replace the rear main whil ei was there.

#4 ·
when i put it back together i put a set of 2 1/2" lift springs i got for free off some friends of mine on it, 1 1/4" boomerang shackles front and rear, all new poly everything, i had to cut some of the body mounts out of the body and build new ones, all new brake lines, new brakes front and rear, centerforce clutch, 2" BL was put back on.

here it is out of the basement and being tested on the ramp. does everyone have an RTI ramp in their back yard or am i just strange??

#8 ·
here is one of the mods i plan to do this summer.

a few other mods i am planning for this YJ this year are:

318 FI and tranny out of my old 94 grand cherokee (still in the grand,i need to pull it soon)
D300 (stock gears for now, sitting on the shelf waiting to go in)
HP30 with 4.56 out of an xj
8.8 with 4.56 and a locker (both axles are in the basement just waiting to go in)
35" Baja Claw Radials (sitting behind the shed)
DOM Radius arm setup in the front with 6.5" or 8" coil springs
SOA in the rear

i have a lot of work to do on this thing, i hate the way leafs ride on the road and the 4 banger just wont get it coming up the mountain on my way home from work.

just a few more random pics, lemme know what yall think of this beater.

soft top

hard top

previous owner did great maintenance on this thing let me tell you....

stupid mouse ate my soft top this winter.......little bastard!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.