my weird hard top back glass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my weird hard top back glass

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #1
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

my weird hard top back glass

I have this back glass on my hardtop on my YJ. Found the hard top bolted to a wrecked YJ, in cherry-ish condition except for some hardware missing from the back glass. What back glass is on this thing- and is it even a YJ hard top?

part_1415341111090.jpg   part_1415341021410.jpg  
cruisingram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I did not know until a few minutes ago that steelhorse made a hardtop all to its own- I guess I have that one huh? Where do I find the struts and closing hardware for this stupid thing?
Unread 11-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

They have been out of business for a while.

Your best bet is to fab something up. Foam and fiberglass, plywood, plastic sheet, sheet metal, whatever you are used to working with.
Unread 11-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Smittybilt bought steel horse years ago ..... good luck finding the parts
Unread 11-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

might be easier to get a sheet of plexi glass an cut one without the notch on the bottom an let the tailgate hold it closed like a normal rear hatch.
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.rallytops.com/replacement...acement-parts/

You could give these guys a call. I ended up making a new window out of 1/4" Lexan and used a small gate latch on either side to keep it closed. I got my top sans rear window... If I had the glass I'd likely fab up the plastic trim that goes on the bottom.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The window itself is in great shape. What I really need is a pic of the closing hardware that came stock on this glass so I can fab something up. I need to know how they connected the latching hardware to the rear glass more than anything. I have several pieces of the stock glass hardware off e-bay.
Unread 11-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That cut out is clearly for a 3rd brake light assembly. I think you may be able to use two sheets of moderately thick aluminum sandwiched together and some stainless hardware to create the bottom edge fairly easily if you have even the most basic of fab skills. For the shocks, I'd measure it out at full lift and then hit the junk yards and scavenge off of mini vans or even some wide-opening trunks like a BMW. get creative and you'll save some coin on replacing and fabricating all new rear glass.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
That cut out is clearly for a 3rd brake light assembly. I think you may be able to use two sheets of moderately thick aluminum sandwiched together and some stainless hardware to create the bottom edge fairly easily if you have even the most basic of fab skills. For the shocks, I'd measure it out at full lift and then hit the junk yards and scavenge off of mini vans or even some wide-opening trunks like a BMW. get creative and you'll save some coin on replacing and fabricating all new rear glass.
Pretty much what I plan to do- with some Hawaii big island differences LOL- you can't find working struts here at junk yard- atmosphere eats them up- but they have a camper supply store that is pretty good for that. Brake light huh?

If I can just get a good pic of how the original set up was, I could get a better understanding of how it clamps to the window itself. if it is just a glue down gasket that is really smooshed against the glass with a couple pieces of hardware, I can get it.
Unread 11-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
esterelyj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't bother fixing that. Find another used original hardtop. Used ones go for $100 in my area. So much easier and cheaper than playing games with that one.
esterelyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
cruisingram
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esterelyj View Post
I wouldn't bother fixing that. Find another used original hardtop. Used ones go for $100 in my area. So much easier and cheaper than playing games with that one.

um, no way LOL- I live in Pahoa, near a lava flow. There is no way I am even finding a hard top here for less than 1500 dollars with the back glass intact.
Unread 11-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #12
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I lived in Honolulu for a few years an the over pricing of everything is the one thing I don't miss! It was pre internet days so no on line shopping to try an save a buck.
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #13
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Uh, no.

OP: Leaving Kona headed back stateside tomorrow morning, been a fantastic week! We visited the Black Sand beach at Naalehu yesterday, not too far from you. Beautiful island!
YJOTM JULY 2014
Unread 11-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #14
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Show me.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
Show me.

Martin
No kidding. I'll take 10.
YJOTM JULY 2014

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.