My Ultimate D30 Build, Truss,vac-disco delete, C gusset, etc. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 43 Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like it's going good so far, can't wait fir the update. And yeah the sleeving will definatly be stronger if you weld it correctly, your moving to a thicker wall and trussing the whole thing... If you ask me trussing over a thin tube is much more of a risk then working on a thicker tube.

Alas it would be less work to get a non vaccum front end but your retubing to a stronger tube anyway lol so more work but stronger.

Plus, if Joe did it it's worth doing!!

Good times, keep the updates comming.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverinEarth View Post
.....Still trying to figure out what kind of seal to useon the long side with the one-piece shaft. I dont want to have to rely on my Alloy tube seals to do all the work.....
I know this was one of the older posts, but if you're still thinking about this.... Why can't you just use a seal on the passenger side inside the diff. just like with the stock one running one piece shafts?

When I swapped in the shafts on mine, I kept the stock seal on the driver side and put a Napa 11800 on the passenger side, I didn't use any other seals, other than the same sexy Alloy ones you got at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #18 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
This is a build thread, not a pissing match, dont let the door hit you where the lord split you.
Wow man, relax.

I wasn't dissing your build.

I was just saying IMO you could have saved yourself a TON of work by using a non-disco XJ housing.

79' CJ7 - 82' CJ8 - 94' YJ - 96' ZJ
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.......

post #19 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
CoverinEarth
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
When I swapped in the shafts on mine, I kept the stock seal on the driver side and put a Napa 11800 on the passenger side, I didn't use any other seals, other than the same sexy Alloy ones you got at the end.
Thats the number i was looking for! Thanks!

And those sexy alloy ones i have a POS's. Both sides are leaking grease/gear lube. IDK what the deal is, when i yank them outta the old axle i'll inspect them.

**Daily Driven**

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2009 JF YJ Of The Month
JeepFest 2009 Runner-up Best of Show YJ
See Dan at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for all your Fabbing needs!
And check out
for Cheap prices and quick shipping on all your Jeep needs
post #20 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Prosonic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

So, Nick, I know for a fact that pictures exist of the work you got done yesterday. Don't leave these guys hanging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyese
Are those going to clear your spring plates?
They should, YJ spring perches sit inboard pretty far. IIRC, the short side mount is right on the edge of the center section.
But then again, I may be completely wrong. So, somebody correct me if I am.

Mayhem in potentia
post #21 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 11:09 AM
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see how a non disco housing is stronger? It's the tube that bends because it is too long. The disco housing has a shorter tube and therefore should be stronger IMHO
post #22 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 11:57 AM
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboyd View Post
I don't see how a non disco housing is stronger? It's the tube that bends because it is too long. The disco housing has a shorter tube and therefore should be stronger IMHO
this has been debated endlessly and never changed anyones minds. id let this die and let the build thread continue.
post #23 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
CoverinEarth
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well i need to get my butt in gear now. (And you need to get over and help Nick! {prosonic})

Looks like we'll be moving in mid june, so i've gotta get the axle done, and the new springs done, so that i can get it all under the Jeep. As the jeep sits now it won't fit into the garage.

**Daily Driven**

See Dan at
And check out
post #24 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats the number i was looking for! Thanks!

And those sexy alloy ones i have a POS's. Both sides are leaking grease/gear lube. IDK what the deal is, when i yank them outta the old axle i'll inspect them.
That sucks, mine have been holding up fine. Hopefully you get it all worked out.

Quote:
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #25 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I thought those sexy alloy seals were only supposed to keep dirt and water out of the tubes, not hold the gear oil in?

79' CJ7 - 82' CJ8 - 94' YJ - 96' ZJ
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.......
post #26 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 06:54 PM
OnlynAYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

When I swapped in the shafts on mine, I kept the stock seal on the driver side and put a Napa 11800 on the passenger side, I didn't use any other seals, other than the same sexy Alloy ones you got at the end.[/QUOTE]

X2. Supposedly even if you replace the seal where the disco is the axle shaft will eventually wear the seal out rendering it useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
I thought those sexy alloy seals were only supposed to keep dirt and water out of the tubes, not hold the gear oil in?
I think that is probably the main purpose, but I was quite positive that I've heard people running these to seal the axles from end to end. However, they probably can't tell whether these truly work or not if their axle seals are holding so you probably have a pretty good point.

75% of the planet is covered by water. The rest is covered by Jeep
post #27 of 43 Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Right, theoretically there shouldn't be any gear oil down that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlynAYJ View Post
X2. Supposedly even if you replace the seal where the disco is the axle shaft will eventually wear the seal out rendering it useless.
True.

Quote:
post #28 of 43 Old 05-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Nates93yj
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed

NATE
2003 GMC 2500 Duramax
2004 Jeep Wrangler Columbia Edition

1993 Jeep Wrangler
SOLD
post #29 of 43 Old 05-14-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
CoverinEarth
1994 YJ Wrangler 

large update to come tonight. The axle is back together, sleevesa re welded on, gussets are almost done and may be welded by the time i finish tonight. Perches and truss are next.

**Daily Driven**

See Dan at
And check out
post #30 of 43 Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
CoverinEarth
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well some lazy-a$$ stopped over to help today:

Got a little welding done:

Tubes are both sleeved:

And a little mock-up shot of what the finished product will look like:

The lower inner-c gussets still need to be finished being cut out, the uppers are done, just gotta weld up the driver side one.

Lots of grinding and welding left to do, still need to weld the perches and that sexy Ballistic Fab truss as well.

-Nick

**Daily Driven**

See Dan at
And check out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.