Is My Tranny Giving Up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is My Tranny Giving Up?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-02-2005, 07:10 AM   #1
Six Shooter

Is My Tranny Giving Up?

I have been noticing recently that when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear, it has a minor but noticible grinding sound and the feel isn't smooth anymore. Anyone tell me what I should be expecting in the future because of this. The tranny is for a 4 banger and is the 5 spd.
Thanks

Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
SwearingYeti
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its pretty cheap to just run out to a junkyard and grab one, like 150 I paid for mine with like 70k miles. Sounds like a linkage prob maybe, or try double clutching, there was a post on it earlier this week.
SwearingYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
yesterdaylight
1995 YJ Wrangler 

mine does this also. i just double clutch it if i'm in a hurry, or if not i just sort of -=-=-=-= it very gently to allow the synchro to spin up and it doesnt grind.
Green Jeep Club Member #172
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member # 23
Green 1995 4 Banger
If only my pocket was as green as my Jeep :D
yesterdaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
Six Shooter

Thanks...I did note that if I allow more time to shift it doesn't grind. All other gears I can shift at normal pace. I get the sense that I should perhaps start looking for good used one for when it does fail.
Six Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #5
SwearingYeti
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good idea and good luck with it
SwearingYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #6
4bangersRme

same thing happend with mine cept my tranny is brand new....i let my girlfriend drive my jeep and when i got it back second gear was terrible..... i think its a syncro problem, its probley in a million peices drain you tranny fluid and it could tell you alot
4bangersRme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2005, 04:05 PM   #7
jonnyri
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, the earlier post was me...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/transmission-issues-197031/

haven't had time to dig into it - only when it's cold do I have to double clutch to get it into second. All other gears are fine - I've been told (in no particular order):
1 - syncros (probably worst case)
2 - worn linkage
3 - bleed the clutch - mechanic friend said that he did one just like mine and it's been two years since the bleed - don't know why but it affected second gear
4 - swap for synthetic fluid
5 - let it warm up before you drive - which is my current solution - once it's warmed up it's fine. But, living in NE means that winter's going to suck if I don't fix it first!
jonnyri is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.