My steering's gone crazy!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My steering's gone crazy!!

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My steering's gone crazy!!

Okay so heres the deal,

I decided to remove the front track bar on my 93 Wrangler. While I was at it, I removed my swaybar since I have heard so many people just scrapping that too. Well the removal went very well, the bolts came right off and both bars were removed in about an hour. I took it for a test drive to see the difference and I barely have control of the jeep!!

There is a lot of play in the steering wheel and bump steer seems to be just throwing the whole thing out of control. Its practically undrivable. Do I need to have the sway bar in place?? None of the steering components were touched

The jeep is on stock springs, with 1.5" shackles and stock 28" tires

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Jeeperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPEREZ View Post

... removed my swaybar .... I barely have control of the jeep!!.... Its practically undrivable......
Answered your own question didn't you ? You need a front sway bar. Look into some sway bar quick disconnects for off-road use.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My guess is that you have worn components within your suspension & steering system that are directly related to the poor manners you are experiencing now.

Thousands upon thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) YJ owners ditch the items you have with no issues whatsoever.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
My guess is that you have worn components within your suspension & steering system that are directly related to the poor manners you are experiencing now.

Thousands upon thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) YJ owners ditch the items you have with no issues whatsoever.
im sure that number is in the millions by now.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
dustinsspace
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Please let me know what you find out with this because I am thinking about removing mine as well and would like to know what causes these issues?!?
dustinsspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Answered your own question didn't you ? You need a front sway bar. Look into some sway bar quick disconnects for off-road use.
I thought that you could drive without one, almost everyone here on the YJ forum says you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post

Could worn out springs cause it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrio View Post
im sure that number is in the millions by now.
Thats what I thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinsspace View Post
Please let me know what you find out with this because I am thinking about removing mine as well and would like to know what causes these issues?!?
I will let you know as soon as I figure this out

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Threw my swaybars and trackbars front and rear in the trash... No problems here.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Since a majority of people don't have problems, is my suspension indeed so gone that it won't hold by itself?

Would the shock on the tie-rod do anything to help it? It looks like it could be worn out

Unread 04-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
TrynPas
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Threw my swaybars and trackbars front and rear in the trash... No problems here.
same here......only notice it a long sweeping curves on the freeway while I'm doing 65 or so. Kept mine for awhile, but they're scrap metal by now. I just added new RC 4" lift springs that are pretty firm, maybe your stock ones are worn out.........upgrade time.
TrynPas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
you need a swaybar because your XJ has front coils, he does not because his YJ has front leafs.

OP, sounds like you could use some new leafsprings, shackles and bushings.

I tossed my trac bars and swaybar years ago, haven't missed them since.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

first thing i did when i bought my jeep was throw away the front and rear track bars, and the front sway bar. i DD mine and have never had an issue. Sounds like you need to look at ball joints / tie rods. i put in all new spring bushings when i dropped my stuff.
Unread 04-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am getting an RC 1.5" leaf spring kit from a friend for free the first week of May, so the springs and shocks will get replaced.

I also put my swaybar back on to notice any difference..and the steering is still sloppy! The only thing thats off now is the front track bar

Unread 04-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #13
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPEREZ View Post
Since a majority of people don't have problems, is my suspension indeed so gone that it won't hold by itself?

Would the shock on the tie-rod do anything to help it? It looks like it could be worn out
That shock on the tie rod is called a steering stabilizer and it will definitely help with bump-steer. Sway bars don't do anything but help control body roll when cornering, shouldn't really affect your steering much. And the Trac bar is just supposed to keep you axle centered under your jeep but if your u-bolts and shackles/bushings are all in decent shape you shouldn't need you trac bar or your sway bar. My Jeep can be a handful at times but I just accredit that to the big tires that are worn out and scalloping pretty bad.

If I were you I would crawl under the jeep and check for loose bolts or worn parts.
BondoBbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That shock on the tie rod is called a steering stabilizer and it will definitely help with bump-steer. Sway bars don't do anything but help control body roll when cornering, shouldn't really affect your steering much. And the Trac bar is just supposed to keep you axle centered under your jeep but if your u-bolts and shackles/bushings are all in decent shape you shouldn't need you trac bar or your sway bar. My Jeep can be a handful at times but I just accredit that to the big tires that are worn out and scalloping pretty bad.

If I were you I would crawl under the jeep and check for loose bolts or worn parts. Another thing you could try is to tighten your steering box up a little. But that will only help take extra play out of your steering. Do a search on the forum and you will several good write ups on it.

*edit* Sorry, about the doublepost. I meant to hit the edit button and hit the quote button accidently
BondoBbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
you need a swaybar because your XJ has front coils, he does not because his YJ has front leafs..
I still have the sway bar on my mildly lifted CJ-7 (and the XJ), quick disconnects are inexpensive and I simply disconnect for the 4x4 trails. The CJ is more stable with the sway bar connected for pavement driving.

Lift kit leaf springs and custom leaf springs are firmer than stock springs (especially worn out springs) and in that case you may be able to get away with no sway bar, but I wouldn't suggest to anyone else to drive without a sway bar.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.