My Son and My 97 YJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Son and My 97 YJ build

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 09-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
windsoreight
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My Son and My 87 YJ build

I am I almost finished with round one of my Yj build. My son and I have had a blast fixing this old jeep up. I picked it up for $400 from a cop friend of mine, he realized it was way out of his league. I came out of Alaska and had been sitting in Maryland for 4 years. If it sat any longer there would have been no saving the jeep. It has the 4.2 and tf999 auto. The jeep ran and drove when I picked it up but barely. The motor was seriously sludged up and an intake valve on #5 Stuck open.

Here it is when I got it home. I ripped the hardtop and full doors off I quickly had the jeep torn apart. You can see what I found:

Last edited by windsoreight; 09-26-2009 at 08:26 PM..
windsoreight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to tell ya, there is no such thing as a 1997 YJ

It looks like a fun project. If you can do the engine work and some welding, you should be able to make short work of it.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Zembonez
2000 XJ Cherokee 

^^ I think he said 97 but meant 87.

WOW. Rust city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Cadillac
Canada has 4 seasons...Almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction

Last edited by Zembonez; 09-26-2009 at 09:17 PM..
Zembonez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
he probably meant 1987
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Alvy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Yeah think he meant 87'. Good project for you though and it looks like you're more than capable with the head off already. Are you going with a new frame or just sectioning that one? Repairing the tub? Get some used rust free parts from the south and you'll have it made.
1993 YJ, AX15, 4.0L, 8.8 LSD w/3.73's, Lock-rite locker in front, S.O.A. JB4x4 high steer bracket, BrandonYJ 1" Booms, Rugged Ridge SS S.Y.E. XJ drive shaft, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's, Chevy Cavy seats, woods camo paint, 200,000 miles and still goin strong!
1993 Cherokee Country AW4,4.0L, 3.55's, 4" blocks in back, 4" TJ springs front, 31x10.50 BFG A/T, Ford Red paint, recently finished with 4wd conversion
Alvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
windsoreight
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I began to repair the frame and tub. I used a buddies plasma cutter and cut the bad pieces out and welded in new metal. The frame is soild for now but I am sure in a few years I will have to some serious work. The dents were the worst part. I hammered and dollied them back into shape. I also had to rebuild front seat belt mounts. I prepped the floors and put 3 coats of herculiner. I carried the herculiner around to the body seam. I also ordered some diamond plate to cover some of the bad stuff:

I drained the oil and filled the base with 2.5 gallons of kerosene. It sat for 2 weeks. I found the rear main leaked. So off came the oil pan. The main bearings look new. Now signs of brass. I also picked up a light bar and Weber carb, both were $150:

Unread 09-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
windsoreight
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Now for paint. I decided on a dark metalliac green. I had an excuse to use my new cheap paint gun set. I turned my dads garage into a paint booth. It work well. I also sanded the old flares and painted the satin black:

The ghost flames are Hot Hues voilet pearl. They look blue against the green paint. I also added a slight amount of pearl to the first coat of clear. THe paint turned out real smooth. I think the only wet sanding I will do is the hood. Tomorrow I finish putting the Jeep back together. I will get some good daylight pics. I still have to do the Nutter mod and get the motor running.
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
windsoreight
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yea that was a mistype, I meant 87. My next goal is lift, wheels, and tires. It will be a month before that can happen. Now I just want to get it on the road. It has been about 2 weeks since I bought the Jeep.
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
element54
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Need any parts?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...l-part-865953/
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's an amazing transformation, great job posting lots of pictures, enjoy the heck out of seeing your progress.
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome work. I am looking forward to seeing it out in the sun so I can see the ghost flames. The most important part is it looks like your Son is having a blast. I can't wait until my boy is old enough to start a project with. He is 5 now and he loves "helping" me in the garage. I usually give him a couple wrenches and let him think he found the problem. It makes him so happy. He will talk about it for months about how he fixed my Jeep!!
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #12
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! you work quick. I'd like to see that paint in the sun. Looks like somebody swapped some cj7 seats in there somewhere along the line too.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
grimjeeperyj14
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that thing has alot of potential. Have fun with it!
grimjeeperyj14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
windsoreight
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. I don't know if I work quick or am just impatient. My main goal was to stop the rust. I am sure it will always be a constant battle. THe fun part for me was beating the front fenders back into shape. I never used a hammer and dolley before. I work on cars for a living so doing the body and paint work was a great change of pace. I am usually working under the hood not on the body. I will get some good sunlight pics tomorrow with the flares back on. I am waiting on a skid plate for the gas tank and the linkage for the Weber carb.
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow that's nice!

My YJ was in 10x beter shape than that when I got it and I thought I had a lot of stuff to do to restore it

Good work so far man. I wish my dad would have bought me an old YJ when I wa sthat young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.