My "slowly upgrading" build thread... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My "slowly upgrading" build thread...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
geo1400
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My "slowly upgrading" build thread...

Excuse the title but with so many hardcore rebuilds going on I would be a little embarrassed to call this a "build" thread. I'm putting this together so I can keep track of what i'm doing and for some input!

First of all, bought my stock '95 YJ back in April. It was my first Wrangler and loved it. But I think the whole excitment comes from not what you have, but what it's going to be...

Here's what it looked like when I first picked it up. 165,000km's with about 85% service records. Very clean with not much if any offroading.

The first thing I did was cleaned it up and then took the advice of everyone here and gave it a nice full service - couldn't believe the difference in the transmission after the flush and fluid change, drove like new...

Spent the summer (in Dubai AKA - HOT) tinkering with it here and there trying to decide on lift and tyre combination. Trimmed and repainted the fender flares usin Krylon Fusion flat black. Would recommend to anyone, good paint.

You can see above how lucky I am with the rust, from past experiences with older cars I wasn't looking forward taking those flares off. After that I preferred the clean look so much, I wanted to go about "cleaning" the rear end. Bye Bye spare tyre.

Now that was done I had intermitent problems with the cooling system and thermostat etc. That was a little frustrating because the dealer seemed to want to sell me a radiator hose that clearly doesn't fit my radiator, they kept saying "cut it". I made the old one work, for now.

After getting back from vacation I decided I hadn't spent enough money, sooooo... bring on the lift! This is what I would consider a eureka moment for a Jeep owner, when their baby finally grows some legs. I went with the 2.5" RC (vehicles fail their annual test out here if they are too big... ). Got that done and having some horrible vibs, getting a TC drop tomorrow. Here's how it looked on stock rims:

However, I had been searching for rims all summer and nailed these nice MT's from a mate, painted them black and bought shiney new centre caps from quadratec. Wrapped them in 31x10.5 Nitto Dune Grapplers (if the devil made a tyre, it would look like this).

My next mod is my TC drop and after that def the bumpers. To achieve my clean look at the back i'm getting the TJ rear bumper, must get rid of those 'ettes'. Then I think some paint work, followed by engine mods!!

Anyway guys, thanks for looking - it's not impressive but time is a constraint when you work hard and play hard (that meaning - taking my wife and daughter to shopping malls on my days off...)

Cheers

He topped himself...
geo1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo1400 View Post

My next mod is my TC drop and after that def the bumpers. To achieve my clean look at the back i'm getting the TJ rear bumper, must get rid of those 'ettes'.
you could always get a nice after market bumper like the Warn style, and include the swing out so you could carry your spare. (since it appears you do not have the fac. one in the one pic. something else???)
also, I'm in no way a spelling nazi, as my spelling suks, but seeing "tyre" is driving me nuts. (tire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
geo1400
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
also, I'm in no way a spelling nazi, as my spelling suks, but seeing "tyre" is driving me nuts. (tire)
Sorry, i'm Scottish and we spell it tyre. When I write "tire", it means to get tired. If I spell it like you guys I just keep thinking my English teacher would be very dissapointed. I'll try and remember to spell it tire anyway, seeing as though this is a US dominant forum!

I've considered aftermarket bumpers but they don't come cheap, I figured I could pick up TJ bumpers cheap. Even they would look much better than those bumperettes!

Cheers

He topped himself...
Unread 10-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
geo1400
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed my TC drop and the vibs have been smoothed out, however having some probs with 2nd, 4th and reverse now. I've read that this can happen, so going to do some searching and hopefully find someone that's taken pics of how to solve this. IIRC it's the shifter hitting the body dew to the different angles and just needs trimmed a little?

If anyone wants to pitch in with an idea that would be great!

He topped himself...
Unread 10-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
SeanMo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good! I really like those black rims with the red Jeep.

I agree with you, too - so many awesome hard core builds, I put " " around the word build on mine.

Keep it going!
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
geo1400
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMo View Post
Looking good! I really like those black rims with the red Jeep.

I agree with you, too - so many awesome hard core builds, I put " " around the word build on mine.

Keep it going!
Nice rig you've got there SeanMo. It's quite handy having these threads running, something to show the grandkids...

He topped himself...
Unread 11-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
geo1400
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Removed the gear surrounds today to see why 2nd, 4th and reverse where tough to get. Turns out it's the actual rubber that's stopping the shifter. Can you buy different gaitors that are a bit thinner? or is cutting the rubber the best option? I think it's only the first rubber surround (not the one you can see) so if I cut you wouldn't see it.

Also got my TJ rear bumper! i've only mocked it up at the moment but can't believe how much better it looks. I've still got to do some painting and relocate my number plate lights before i'll post up some pics.

He topped himself...
Unread 12-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
geo1400
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Repainted and fitted the TJ rear bumper and then repainted the front bumper as well.

Looks sooooo much better. I need to wire the plate lights but haven't got round to it yet. It seems i'm going to have to drop the gas tank skid to pull the wires out from the plate lights, and then feed them through into the lights on the TJ bumper.

I also decided to underbody seal using a waxoil/bitumen based product. Bit time consuming and a PITA but again, looks soooo much better.

Even the wife is starting to like the heep now so I must be doing something right!

Cheers

He topped himself...
Unread 12-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You can move the rubber boot a little to allow for full travel of the shifter mate.
And I imagine my English teacher also cringes when I spell "tire" too
Mind, when you come from a place that makes you wear a uniform 5 days a week, it's a hard habit to break isn't it?
Now go eat some haggis, drink a pint, and call it a day

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
geo1400
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
You can move the rubber boot a little to allow for full travel of the shifter mate.
I ended up cutting the inner boot, works perfectly and I was able to screw the gaitor back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
Now go eat some haggis, drink a pint, and call it a day

Martin
Only if it's deep fried in batter and Tennants super lager...

He topped himself...
Unread 01-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #11
geo1400
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just installed a nice new HD Rough Country Steering Stabilizer. Sorry to say guys, easiest job yet! This is when I thank the motoring gods for my GCC spec, living in the Middle East '95 YJ, bolts simply unbollt!

Big love for Rough Country and their value products.

My Jeep is looking so much better but I think a re-spray is compulsary now. All that sun has worn the top coat off the hood and the rest is looking a bit tired too. Every time I wash the heep now I get red paint on my sponge!

He topped himself...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.