My Rusty Wrangler Project.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Rusty Wrangler Project....

USA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and AxleFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availab

Unread 02-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My Rusty Wrangler Project....

I recently purchased a 1990 Wrangler 4.2L 5spd from a friend. It only has 114k miles and has been sitting since 2002. He knew it was in need of some serious rust repair and it did not run when i bought it, sooo I didnt have to pay too much. Had a friend haul it home, changed the oil, fuel pump, put some plugs in and she runs great! (still gotta drain the tank, its running off a gas can attatched to the bumper)

Here are some pictures after I got it home and started poking at the rust.

The wife and her dads 68 440 powered Valiant in the background!

most of the rust you see is just surface rust on this side.

Gotta get rid of the chrome bumper, thinkin bout building my own!

Extra water drainage!! This area is really worse than it looks

This hole opened up a lot when i removed the bars.

Now I know there are lots who will tell me this is junk and good for no more than a parts jeep...I have been building jeeps for 13 years (i have dealt with this type of rust before) and my father in law is a body man and has fixed far worse, he restores old mopars. I did try to find a tub in the local salvage yards but there are none around, the good news is I have a full body shop with welders, plasma cutter, etc. at my disposal and that is where the jeep will be living until complete.

Currently it is stripped down to pretty much a bare tub, has only drivers seat and dash. I will take some more pictures as the project goes on since I know we all love to watch things unfold.

It has some cancer in the rear frame in the usually spot, however it isnt too bad, once the tub comes off the frame I will rebuild that area using some 1/8th flat bar.

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
pthrift
2013 JK Wrangler 

there are some replacement floorpan pieces and such you can order....quadratec has them i know; others do to; but IDK where...
pthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
djcondo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

cool ill look forward to seeing the updates. rusty is doing the same think
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395594
this is a pretty cool thred. at least u got the shop.
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The jeep came with the pass side replacement floor pan, drivers side has been replaced but it was never painted so its more or less junk. I ordered another from Q-tec. I am going to make up the rear floors out of some sheet metal.

Unread 02-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper95 View Post
The jeep came with the pass side replacement floor pan, drivers side has been replaced but it was never painted so its more or less junk. I ordered another from Q-tec. I am going to make up the rear floors out of some sheet metal.
I feel your pain man. Feel free to ask any questions about working in those areas. I just finished the drivers side with about the same amount of issues and am working on the pass side. See writeup link in my sig. will be more than happy to offer advice. Most of my sheetmetal is 16 gauge from local home centers.

Goodluck

-Rusty

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
I feel your pain man. Feel free to ask any questions about working in those areas. I just finished the drivers side with about the same amount of issues and am working on the pass side. See writeup link in my sig. will be more than happy to offer advice. Most of my sheetmetal is 16 gauge from local home centers.

Goodluck

-Rusty

Thank you! I have read through your post a couple times now looking for ideas how others have dealt with this. I do have one question...how did you determine the proper location for the seat belt holes, mine were completely rotted away

Unread 02-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper95 View Post
Thank you! I have read through your post a couple times now looking for ideas how others have dealt with this. I do have one question...how did you determine the proper location for the seat belt holes, mine were completely rotted away
For the front to back location, I just centered it. For the height, I went with enough room off the floor so that I could gain access to the bottom bolt easily. If I had to hazard a guess, they are about 2" off the floor to the bolt center. You could just ask another member on the forum if they could measure for ya but as long as your belt retractor is vertical or a degree or two to the rear, you could mount it anywhere on that section.

-Rusty

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got to do some work on the jeep today. Snowin like crazy here so it was a good day to stay inside! I think I made pretty good progress....This is definately the biggest rust repair I have ever had to tackle!

The hole opened up some once I go the roll bar out!

Drivers side isnt quite as bad.

After cutting out bad metal on pass. side

Bad metal gone on drivers side

Couple of the patches in place (excuse my welds still learning)

This corner is just about done, I used a piece of 1/8th plate on the back side of the seat belt mounting area to give it some strength.

The previous owners idea of a floor patch!!!

After a little POR15....

Day ended a little earlier than I would have liked (ran out of gas in the welder)

OMG....I hadnt been outside since 8am, this is what I was greeted by!

Last edited by LilViper95; 04-26-2008 at 05:36 PM..
Unread 03-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yay......got the gas filled for the welder....gonna do a little more welding on the floors tonight.

Decided not to replace the pass side floor pan, there were only 2 small areas that were bad so I made up some patches for them. I am waiting for my drivers pan to arrive from Q-tec, hopefully once that gets here I will have the other areas patched so that I can move to the outside panels!

Unread 03-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

much to my suprise, the ups man paid me a visit while I was at work today!!!! My drivers floor pan showed up from quadra tec.

On a side note I am pretty sure that my Jeep has been rolled over or in some sort of other serious accident in its life, the roll bar mounts on drivers side were all messed up when I took the bar out and the quarter on the drivers side has been replaced, was spliced in about half way through door jamb. Quarter is seriously warped from some poor body work, I am finding more and more areas that need work the further I go. Thank god I dont have much into this and I only bought it for an off road toy....

This is what was lurking under that aweful patch the previous owner installed

Quadra tec pan in place waiting to be welded along with some extra patches to fill in where it didnt cover

Another look at my patches

The patch I made for my seat pan

some patches waiting to be welded!

patch I made and welded into pass. floor pan

quick shot of the frame rust

My half doors, would you believe I was paid $300 dollars to take these!!!! Well not exactly, I purchased two pair and sold one set on ebay for a heck of a profit!!!!

Last edited by LilViper95; 04-26-2008 at 05:47 PM..
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #11
minimudder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

wow, nice job on the jeep, your doing a great job of keeping us posted. I was lucky and my jeep doesn't seen to have much rust at all. Nice Write up so far
minimudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I always like following these repair and build threads. I too was lucky with almost zero rust in my Jeep, I don't know if I could handle that much right now.
Unread 03-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #13
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the replies!!!! I wish I had a jeep with no rust, but considering how little I have into this rig I really cant complain. I have contemplated selling it once its together and looking for a rust free newer model, but I am sure by the time I get this together I will be too attached!!!!

Hoping to get some more welding done to her this week....I will keep you all posted (my father in law is going to weld the outside panel on the pass side for me so that I dont warp the panel too much!)

Unread 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #14
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Man, that thing is a project for sure! God's speed to you, sir.
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got to do a little bit of work to the old jeep today, finally got the drivers side floor pan welded into place and top coated with por15.... so now the drivers side is complete, gotta tackle the pass side where the seatbelt and roll bar bolts tomorrow. Hopefully get that completed so I can move on to the exterior panels. This is coming along pretty good! Might be on the road by my birthday next month.
Another plus is I called the ins. company to quote insurance and its only gonna cost me 120 for the whole year!!!!

thats me doing a little welding

some hammering!

the new floor all welded in place!

the welds all ground out ready for some por15

ahhh the finished product!!!!

Last edited by LilViper95; 04-26-2008 at 05:51 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.