My rear bumper build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My rear bumper build

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My rear bumper build

Well I finally got it done. I have been slowly getting all the pieces to make my front and rear bumpers. I haven't made the front bumper yet but the rear is done minus the final clean up and paint. I'm going to paint it with spray on bed liner and see how that goes.

I will try to list where I got everything.

I got the 2"X4" rectangle tube 12 foot length for $50 at the local steel shop. Not bad, enough to make both bumpers.

I got the weld through tow shackle tabs at www.tkhfab.com for $36 after shipping. This was for 4 of them. Enough to do both rear and front bumper.

I got the rear mounting tabs with frame tie in tabs at Jeep Tubes for $34 after shipping.

I got the 2" receiver tube at Tractor Supply for $16.

I used my old rear axle U bolts for the safety chain hook-ins - Free

I used my standard old circular saw with a metal cutting blade to cut the angles on the ends and to start the cut out on the bottom for the 2" receiver and a metal blade on my skill saw and a drill to cut the holes (on both sides) for the tow shackle tabs so they could be welded on both sides. And of course a grinding wheel and soft grinding wheel on my angle grinder to clean up the ends and the back where the shackle tabs where welded through.

Used some scrap 1/8" metal I had to cap the ends and I used leftover 2X4 tube to weld as "brackets" between the mounting tabs and the bumper itself. they were about 1.5" long. Once I had the bumper fabbed up and the 1.5" piece of 2x4 tube welded to the mounting tabs I bolted the mounting tabs to the frame, clamped the bumper to them so I would know I had everything lined up and tack welded everything together so I could finish it up.

I can't take credit for the welding. I started to use my small Lincoln Electric 140 mig welder but wasn't happy with it so I asked my neighbor to weld it. He welds for a living and has a sweet Tig welder in has garage.

So the rear bumper cost me about $95 and the front cost me about $50. Not bad for two quality bumpers.

Here are the pics:

I'm pretty happy with it. This is my first real metal fabrication project and had fun doing it. I can't wait to get it painted and bolted on and make the front bumper.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
HilltopperYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

very nice

well done

A-E-K-Δ-B

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
HilltopperYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
blakkbelt

looks good...i did one very similar to yours, and love it.
35x12.50 trxus mt's
tj flares, targa hardtop
RE 4.5 ex duty lift kit
blakkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Those look awesome. I'm hoping to start my own bumper build when I get my Herculiner done.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great job Johnboy! Looks nice. I like using the old u-bolts for your safety chain attachments. Here in Ky. we'd call that redneck ingenuity. Great idea!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.