My official build thread I suppose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My official build thread I suppose

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Sparkfly88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My official build thread ( Little Red )

Basically here is my background. I'm mechanically inclined, I can bolt things on and off, and beat things to get things off or on.
I can drill things out and re thread if ever needed.
Never welded in my life.
I know someone that can weld, but I don't like using people.

My stock springs are flat as a board and if I go over an incline or dip in the road my front tires scrape my stock flares.
I'm running 31's on some crappy aftermarket rims that have one h311 of an offset.
I have a set of OE rims I bought to solve that problem.

I dont have mountains around here, but I do have mud, and lots of it.
Heck, I just got out of a shower from going out tonight with my BALD 31's.

I love the look of the SOA conversion but I lack the fabricating skill to do it.
My friend owns a CJ ( I think its a 7 ) and he did the SOA but in my opinion its ghetto fabbed.
He uses his for mudfest, I use mine as a DD>

I cannot be working on it for a week or more because I need to drive it daily to work.

There is just so much info on SOA and different lifts my mind is frazzled and I need a "lift for dummies" kinda moment.

The 4' R/c lift is a great price, but I don't like the mixed reviews, I don't want to spend money just to loose what I spent it on. A couple hundred could get a different lift that lasts.

The SYE kit honestly blows my mind at the moment so if I was to do a "simple" suspension lift I'd deal with the transfer case drop.

So far all I've done to my Jeep is;
Removed both trackbars and swaybar
( boy does my jeep ride nicer than it did )
Changed all the fluids
Full tuneup (plugs,wires,cap,rotor,filters)
I've ran Seafoam through the entire system.

The interior is truckbedded ( thanks PO )
There is a rats nest of wires under the dash I'm still sorting out.
Example- Radio stays on if lights are on. Radio power is spliced onto a wire connecting to the steering column. ( BAD PO )
The driverside speaker is hanging behind the dash by plain luck, the passenger side is currently sitting on the "oh shi!t" handle because the bubblewrap holding it up by the PO finally wore out

The main dash doohicky on the passengerside corner is cracking like crazy exposing the foam inside so I want to epoxy that or something, sand it down, and paint the entire dash with something...

I want to put a marine sound system in the Jeep utilizing ammo cans all around. I dont want my headunit in the dash though. I want a center console that houses it somehow. LOCKABLE and waterproof.
My other hobby is antique military rifles, so the ammo cans are a must, or anything else related to guns/military.

I need a jack, whats supposed to be underthe hood isnt there. If I get a flat tire, I'm screwed.
My last little wheeling trip caused one of my bumpstops to take off so I need a set of them as well.

It is a repaint, red over red, and very cheap red for sure. Eventually that'll have to go Before it decides to leave on its own.

Basically thats where I'm at.

I guess this can be considered me thinking aloud and wanting opinions.

Last edited by Sparkfly88; 08-24-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Sparkfly88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
MrPresident
YJ Wrangler 

Its sounds like you really want a SOA but lack the time and skills, but dont worry a good SUA Lift kit will make you plenty happy especially going from flat stock springs. Now its time to decide your budget, i too was looking at the RC lift kits but decided id rather not be worried that id loose my money in a year.i went with a 4.5 Rubicon Express and cant be any happier. You can use an ammo can for a center can and be able to put your cd deck in there. There is plenty of write ups in an ammo can center console.
Check out my sound system

Granted i still have a sound bar with alpines and my front "dash" speakers are alpines. The ammo cans work really well bc of the fact they are sealed.

Good Luck with your build fun times ahead!
MrPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

Why not start with a 2" body lift? If your just using it for mudd might be a inexpsensive and decent solution for now. Then you can do the susp lift on top of that later on when you find the kit you want.
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Sparkfly88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have the feeling I'll either put 31" BFG ATS or 33" bfg ats. I get a killer deal on them because I work at a tire store that's an authorized dealer. So I get a discount from my store AND BFG.

Body lifts look terrible because of a gap that is formed. I saw a CJ come into work with a 3" BL and a 4-5" suspension lift. The BL looked ugly as anything. I could do it as a temporary I suppose since there's no
rust anywhere on it. Working on anything just requires handtools so far.

You read me on the SOA lift. I do lack the time and skill.
Whatever I end up doing ill have to settle with a transfer case drop till I feel ballsy enough to do the SYE.

That's the kinda sound system I plan to install. Something different like that.
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
MrPresident
YJ Wrangler 

The SYE was way easier then expected and only took maybe 2 hours. The hardest part was pressing the bearings. If you need help or more ideas on how i did my stereo PM me
MrPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Sparkfly88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just got 700 dollars for my old car that my jeep replaced.
Got another good chunk in credit.

Now I can afford a lift.

Honestly I like the way RubiconExpress' 4" lift comes with what I think is everything needed, And only needed mechanics tools, which I have since I work at a shop.

It seems that whoever doesn't go rough country goes rubicon. It is also one of the most popular lifts that quadratec sells.

Would I need anything else for the RE? Besides the SYE is there anything else I should account for with the RE lift??
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkfly88 View Post
Would I need anything else for the RE? Besides the SYE is there anything else I should account for with the RE lift??
My 2.5inch RE kit was pretty complete. The only thing I wish it came with was extended brake lines.

John
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Reading your wish list reminded me of what all I wanted to do with my Jeep. I have been price shopping various spring lift kits, and I have come to the conclusion that if I spend the extra fifty or so I can get a 4" lift over that of a 2" lift. I also discovered that some lift companies charge the same amount for a 2.5" as they do for a 4" lift kit. I guess this all really depends on the stance and the tire size that you want to run. Since I want to run 33's, I will go for the 4" lift.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
Sparkfly88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I may run 33's or stay with my 31's which would give plenty of flex room
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
1990offroadYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i hd one of the older rough country 4 inch lifts. My rear springs went flat in no time. But since then RC has improved the steel and no longer sag like hey used to. Also i hear they have pretty good policies for premature sag and etc. they are pretty afordable and come with everyhting you need. i did the tc drop and didnt have any problems with my rear driveshaft
1990offroadYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Sparkfly88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Okay.

Today while I was at work I mounted 4 Goodyear wrangler rt/s to the OE rims I got from craigslist for 25 bucks.
Got home, then ran out and bought some BBQ paint for the OE rims.

What I ended up with looks absolutly fantastic!!!

Now for my question, this had all the soft top hardware on it. I took it all off but left the windshield retaining bracket on hoping it'll work for a strapless bikini top. Am I thinking correctly? Will the stock softtop bracket work for a bikini top?

Rain is coming and I need to order one ASAP
Unread 05-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The bikini top should fit right into the soft top channel without any issues. I have heard there are a few companies that make a bikini top that will only fit into their channels but that kinda seems like BS to me.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Sparkfly88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought $500+ in stuff from quadratec.

New steering linkage, tubes n all, that way there is no disassembling and I will have spare tubes since I'm predicting I will bend some eventually.
A steering stablizer,
A knockoff bikini top since Bestop need their own channel so I didn't bother with them.
New windshield hinges, the first time I folded the windshield down it bent up the hinges ( flimsy little bastages ) and they are powdercoated black, so it goes with the whole theme I'm going for. ( black n red )
And a class 3 hitch so I can tow my sailboat again finally! ( which is also red like my jeep )

Photos will be spammed shortly =D

Next purchases will be a highlift jack and mounting gear to the bumper because as of right now if I get a flat I'm SOL on the side of the road.
I have a spare on the back, but no jack or tire Iron.
Unread 05-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hope it's a small sail boat

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
Sparkfly88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's a 18 foot 1200 pounder.
My buick handled it just fine with its blown out suspension even

Its called a Renken 18, but mine is a Tangerine 18 which is the same thing from a different company, same mold.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.