My "new" YJ...So much to do! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My "new" YJ...So much to do!

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Your horn is most likely a spring that is stuck in the steering wheel pretty easy fix in about 30 minutes.

Unread 05-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've been busy this weekend. I had a leaking lower radiator hose so I started draining the coolant and realized that the PO must have used water in the radiator and put coolant in the reservoir and hoped they would mix. Well...they didn't. About 90% of the stuff coming out of the radiator and hoses was brown water. I decided to pull the water pump and thermostat also with hopes of replacing a bunch of old parts would make all of my cooling issues and wacky gauges go away. The only thing I didn't change was the fan clutch because none of the shops in town have one. I ordered one from Rock Auto and will install that when it arrives.

Here are some before and during pics. I'm not done yet because I had to come in to work and sit here for a few hours (hence why I'm posting).

Old and new water pumps. No idea why the PO painted the entire engine and components red...

Needed a little cleaning!

Spent about 2 hours trying to get a 3/8" hose adapter that works with a 3/4" hose. Apparently they don't exist at Home Depot so I made one with about 4 different adapters, teflon tape, and form-a-gasket. Pics of that later... Oh, and no I couldn't use the one off the old water pump, it was a 3/4" inlet and wasn't threaded.

Water Pump (and pulley/fan) and Thermostat housing put back on and form-a-gasket drying (along with the paper gaskets).

Also working on tie rod ends with new sleeves this weekend! Old vs the new Moog ones. I was hoping the Moog would be thicker like they were for the WJ, but they will still be better than 24 year old ones!

More to come...
dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ugh...got everything done and I've got a leak out of the lower radiator hose. I'm going to drain it again tomorrow and pull the hose and push it on as far as possible and then use two clamps to tighten it. If it's still leaking after that I'm going to assume I have a crack in the radiator by the lower hose outlet. BRING ON THE JB WELD.
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Don't forget to lose those ghay tube bumpers and the fugly wheels.
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #20
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quality input, Mud. When you get rid of your fugly chrome grill I might take some style advice from you. Then again, if you want to send me some money on PayPal for new wheels and bumpers, I'm all for it.

Wheels have since been plastidipped...I thought I already posted these?

Lift going in:

31x10.5s added and plastidipped the wheels:

Unread 05-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Annnnnd radiator is leaking again. No idea where it's coming out. I decided I have had enough and ordered a new radiator and decided a new heater core and fan clutch would be a good idea also. So much for driving it down to Destin this weekend...
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #22
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got the new radiator and heater core in! Tested the fan clutch and it's working fine so I'm not installing the new one yet...maybe some day when I'm bored. I finally (after 3 weeks of owning) got to drive it to work!

Now I'm doing some upgrades...getting some (cheap) new speakers that aren't 15 years old and some LEDs for the gauges and dash. I love the Cool White look but found Wightman's pictures here and had to steal this cool white to red idea in the tach. Don't want to "redline" it!
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #23
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pulled the ugly diamond plating off the rear corners. Looks so much better!

BEFORE:

AFTER
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #24
RustyNutts
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that looks better, but it's whatever you want on YOUR jeep, bro.
I was thinking that you might have bought one with rusted corners since it had plated corners, but you lucked up.
Keep on going and I have to say that is one great looking tag you've got there.

Roll Tide!!
Threepeat history could be made this coming Fall!!
RustyNutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #25
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcocch
Got the new radiator and heater core in! Tested the fan clutch and it's working fine so I'm not installing the new one yet...maybe some day when I'm bored. I finally (after 3 weeks of owning) got to drive it to work!

Now I'm doing some upgrades...getting some (cheap) new speakers that aren't 15 years old and some LEDs for the gauges and dash. I love the Cool White look but found Wightman's pictures here and had to steal this cool white to red idea in the tach. Don't want to "redline" it!
You're gauges don't have backlit numbering like the picture. It's basically a ring that reflects onto the face of the gauge. The gauge pictured is from 91-95 yjs. Our early years have different style gauges
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaef89 View Post
You're gauges don't have backlit numbering like the picture. It's basically a ring that reflects onto the face of the gauge. The gauge pictured is from 91-95 yjs. Our early years have different style gauges
Well then...I guess I'll need to get some white gauges! Thanks for the heads-up so I didn't get disappointed when I installed them.
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNutts View Post
I was thinking that you might have bought one with rusted corners since it had plated corners, but you lucked up.
Yeah I was pretty worried when I started pulling it off. Once I got enough off that I saw paint I was excited. The paint still has it's glossy coat where the diamond plate was!
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #28
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking YJ.

"The locks on my doors are for your protection not mine."

My YJ Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rship-1481851/
Ken3783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #29
BuffaWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

AFTER
[/QUOTE]

Nice! No rot underneath!
BuffaWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
90YJinPC
1990 YJ Wrangler 

if your gauges still work, you might try these.

http://www.jeepwhitegauges.com/index-yj.htm
90YJinPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.