My New Rebuilt Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My New Rebuilt Transmission

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperCyber Sale on RUBICON EXPRESS - Short Arms, Long Arms, Tra

Unread 09-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

My New Rebuilt Transmission

Ok some questions real quick about it. i took it out myself so i have to put it back in myself. and i noticed that (sorry i dont know the name but...) the shaft that goes into the engine was a little loose, they said they replaced the bearing, but should it be a little loose? and does any one know if i can get a shifter bushing (apparently im missing one) from the local autozone,ect. or is it something i need to go to the dealership to get..?

Unread 09-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The transmission input shaft does have some play as it only rides on one bearing. Your pilot bushing/bearing in the crankshaft will help to stop any lateral movement.
Are you referring to the bushing in the shift tower? If so, then good luck. I've only ever found those available through the dealer and they insist on including it with the entire shift tower assembly. Maybe others have found better solutions and will chime in.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
jeepngeorge
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Crown has those bushings you need.
83500519 is the shift cup bushing on the end of the shifter.
4864226x is the bushing in the shift tower.
jeepngeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

bunkrdfool--the part to which you refer is the pilot bearing. It is inside the back end of the crankshaft and the nose of the transmission input shaft fits into it. Once assembled into the vehicle, the "loose" input shaft is then supported at both ends--front end by the pilot bearing, back end by the bearing under the input bearing retainer which you say was replaced during the rebuild.
Some Jeeps have a pilot bushing instead of a pilot bearing. Picture of the pilot BEARING inside its home, in this photo it is halfway out while being removed.

I will link a thread in another message on a backyard way to pull out your pilot bearing since it should be replaced while you have your tranny out as well as clutch, etc......

Idaholtby--photo and part number of the shift tower bushing, jeepngeorge got his at Crown, I got mine at Morris 4X4 in Pompano beach, everyone else was outta stock.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

bunkrdfool-- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/pilot-bearings-101-a-513039/

Link to older thread about how to pull your pilot bearing out shadetree mechanic way. Others in this string have posted their tricks on other methods of pulling the pilot bearing, so it may be helpful to you.
when you drive the pilot bearing back in, install it so the etched part numbers are visible. That end of the bearing has a thicker cage to it. If you hammer against the other/thinner end, it will crimp the cage and freeze up the bearing.....following photos you can see the "numbered/thick end" compared to the other/thin end on two pilot bearings for my 93. Ask me how I know why there is a thick and a thin end.......

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 09-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Everyone. I called my gf's brother who is the top salesman at a jeep dealership, i asked if he could go to the parts counter there and ask if they had one. so if that fails ill be ordering one from crown.

And opihi, thanks for the right up cuz im sure i will need it someday when im ripping out the transmission when it craps out on me again in another 30000 miles ... lol. But the repair shop replaced it when they rebuilt it because they said it had a lot of play in it and it should be replace so i said "ok".

So thanks everyone for re-assuring my thoughts AGAIN.
Unread 09-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I tried getting one (shift tower bushing 486422X and don't forget the X) via the dealer, they only sell the entire complete shift tower with bushing, several hundred dollars. I found that some of the Toyota transmissions use the same part number, they don't sell it separately either. At any rate, remember that to get the new one in, you have to warm it up in hot water, then squeeze it gently from the sides to slip it past the shifter retaining pins. Those pins don't push out.

You're not the only one to have a hard time getting this part--resurrecting yet another old thread. Got mine from cyberjeep (Morris 4 X 4) Florida. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ax15-shift-tower-bushing-513478/

link to part http://www.cyberjeep.com/searchprods...le&sort_by=ASC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Opihi59; 09-17-2008 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: linked part source
Unread 09-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
Ryanpowell167
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I found out another good way to get pilot bearings out. This one uses hydraulic force. Seems to work really well for bushings, havnt had the chance to do it on a bearing. Worth a shot. Get yourself a sheet of newspaper and soak it in water. Next find a bolt or something you can hit with a hammer that will slide in and out of the bushing, but isnt too loose inside of it. Tear up the paper and start packing it in the bearing. Once it starts getting tight, start hammering it in. You want it to not slip out around the bolt. The pressure actually starts to push the bearing out. Takes a little time, but it works when other things seem not to....
Unread 09-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok that is the crappy little part im looking for opihi ... but thats for the ax15, i cant find it for the ax5 ... so i wonder if it will fit mine? If they have the same diameter? any thoughts?

the pictures have it for the ax15 ... but not on the pictures for the ax5 ... WTF!!! and what is that other bushing? doesnt look familiar...
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ummmmm, Krap. I don't know if it is the same for the AX-5. I have the complete YJ parts CD, but since this is not a part that is "available" via the dealer, they have no part number for it and I can't make a comparison. I have a spare AX 15 languishing out in the yard, I can mike (measure with micrometer) the inner diameter of the shift tower and tell you in a minute, you can mike yours and see if it is the same size. I honestly don't know if they are the same for the AX5 vs the AX 15.
Okay--48mm or if you prefer, 1.9 inches is the bore/ID of the shift tower on the AX15 in which this bushing resides. I know the shift towers are not interchangeable between 5 and 15, 5 has 6 bolts, AX 15 has 4. Measure the ID on your AX5 shift tower bushing and see if it is the same. You may get lucky and find that they are identical. At any rate, the price from Morris 4X4 was only about $4.99 so you'd only be out S and H if you send it back.
Maybe Pat will jump on this string. He knows all this stuff by heart and can render parts drawings, PNs and exploded schematics from memory..............

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #11
jeepngeorge
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The ax15 ax5 share some parts. These just happen to be two of them. I ordered two sets one for my ax15 in the cherokee and one for the ax5 in the wrangler. Both worked like a charm. Get them from any crown dealer.
Unread 09-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #12
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input George. I lived in Lawton for 6 yrs, great place. I can pronounce Okmulgee, Winnewood, Chickasha and all the other interesting places there. I'd go back to Oklahoma just about any time. I think Muskogee would be nice.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-18-2008, 02:24 AM   #13
jeepngeorge
1991 YJ Wrangler 

We do have some good names around these parts. It's fun to listen to somebody from out of state ask for directions to Tahlequah, Sapulpa, or Spavinaw. Come on back anytime. You know us okies are friendly!
Unread 09-18-2008, 05:46 AM   #14
bunkrdfool
2007 JK Wrangler 

Part ordered. Thanks again guys.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.