my new daily driver - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my new daily driver

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
I will check my garage- I did a power steering swap a couple years ago and don't know what I did with my old manual box. I may have one sitting you can have for the price of postage. :-)

I'll check my spare parts bin and let you know. Your YJ reminds me of mine when I got it... Not much on mine looks like that any more! LOL.
if you can find it, I will take it, I would really appreciate that

Unread 01-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #32
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hi there, wish I found your thread earlier! I'm in Niagara Falls NY. Looks like your YJ is cleaning up nice, I would have been scared of it.

The 4wd light is actuated by a plunger type switch that screws into the disconnect housing on the passenger side of the front axle. The axle disconnect itself is actuated by vacuum lines from a vacuum switch on the transfer case. Hope that helps some.

A lot of guys like to do the solid axle mod on these to simplify the 4WD. You can do it with junkyard parts off a TJ or a cherokee. Save yourself some hair-pulling in the future.

The 4-banger YJ's are very sensitive to the tune-up and leaks. You found a bunch of vacuum leaks, that's great, keep looking! Usually the manifold gets loose on the head and I have to tighten mine back down once a year. Especially the very front and back bolts, that type of leak causes weirdness and eats gas mileage and power.

Get it all sealed up, maybe rebuild the throttle body (kinda like doing a carb, its just a few gaskets and regulator guts) it'll be fine.
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #33
sdillinger
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cool project. I like your idea of using a non lifted 4 cyl YJ as a daily, especially when you have a few V8 CJ's around.

Like Pete said, the 4x4 indicator is controlled on the CAD. Perhaps your CAD is stuck in the 4x4 position causing the light, but the transfer case is in neutral? I know when I did the CAD elimination the light is always OFF. One of these days I'll get the TJ electrical switch so that the light works properly.
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #34
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Hi there, wish I found your thread earlier! I'm in Niagara Falls NY. Looks like your YJ is cleaning up nice, I would have been scared of it.

The 4wd light is actuated by a plunger type switch that screws into the disconnect housing on the passenger side of the front axle. The axle disconnect itself is actuated by vacuum lines from a vacuum switch on the transfer case. Hope that helps some.

A lot of guys like to do the solid axle mod on these to simplify the 4WD. You can do it with junkyard parts off a TJ or a cherokee. Save yourself some hair-pulling in the future.

The 4-banger YJ's are very sensitive to the tune-up and leaks. You found a bunch of vacuum leaks, that's great, keep looking! Usually the manifold gets loose on the head and I have to tighten mine back down once a year. Especially the very front and back bolts, that type of leak causes weirdness and eats gas mileage and power.

Get it all sealed up, maybe rebuild the throttle body (kinda like doing a carb, its just a few gaskets and regulator guts) it'll be fine.
I don't see any sensors on the CAD, it just has vac hoses going to it.
I will have to look for vac leaks on the manifold, I haven't yet, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdillinger View Post
Cool project. I like your idea of using a non lifted 4 cyl YJ as a daily, especially when you have a few V8 CJ's around.

Like Pete said, the 4x4 indicator is controlled on the CAD. Perhaps your CAD is stuck in the 4x4 position causing the light, but the transfer case is in neutral? I know when I did the CAD elimination the light is always OFF. One of these days I'll get the TJ electrical switch so that the light works properly.
So if I run it with the CAD stuck on that would be like running a straight shaft right? that won't hurt anything in the transfer case?

thanks guys, I think I am going to drop tire sizes too, I am not very impressed with the performance of this 4cyl yet, I did find a tire and rim that I can use for a spare, it is out of an 88 mustang and it is super light, I may just throw it in the back, in place of the rear seat
Unread 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #35
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Unread 01-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #36
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc75matador View Post
I don't see any sensors on the CAD, it just has vac hoses going to it.
I will have to look for vac leaks on the manifold, I haven't yet, thanks for the heads up.

So if I run it with the CAD stuck on that would be like running a straight shaft right? that won't hurt anything in the transfer case?

thanks guys, I think I am going to drop tire sizes too, I am not very impressed with the performance of this 4cyl yet, I did find a tire and rim that I can use for a spare, it is out of an 88 mustang and it is super light, I may just throw it in the back, in place of the rear seat
You are exactly right, a lot of guys pick straight shafts out of a TJ or a cherokee, they go right in with a new seal inside the pumpkin. Since its the same axle. And that way they just eliminate the whole problematic thing.

You definitely have something screwy with either your vacuum system to the transfer case/axle, or the electrical causing the light to come on. I'll see if I can find the vacuum diagram somewhere, its common. Or google it.

FWIW mine does OK on the 190 running 31x10.5 tires. Just got to rev the pee out of it getting onto the thruway. The 4-banger doesn't wake up until 3000 RPM's.
Unread 02-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

sans le spare rack
Unread 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #38
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

going out to fix my exhaust, will post pics later
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #39
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yah I got rid of my spare, I swear it has 10 HP more without it... nowdays I carry a tire patch and valve core tool set, and one of those jumper batery -air pump combo things.
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #40
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

this is where it broke, The plan was to splice it back together and weld it

A pic of the inside of the cat revealed that it had been hollowed out, further inspection showed cracks and rot on the outlet pipe

This is what I replaced it with, yes it's stainless pipe, I get it from the scrap pile at work

and here is the finished product, I also made a tip to replace about 4 inches I cut off of the tailpipe turndown that had been bashed to crap

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #41
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I love free stuff, total cost $0 to repair exhaust, and now it's quiet and I can drive it again, I also changed the fuel filter while I was under there, I bought it a couple weeks ago and I was so not looking forward to changing it, but it was easier than I had anticipated, the old one looked like crap but it wasn't clogged at all, so I'm sure I will see no driveability improvement for $13
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #42
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel filter is always a good idea on a used jeep, I found that out when I got mine. You never know what its been thru. That stainless pipe looks good but what about inspection? They're gonna nail you for that, its NY state after all. At least in Niagara and Erie counties, they have a tailpipe sniff test and visuals for the smog.
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #43
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

it passed inspection with the hollow cat, it usually hides under the skidplate anyway, well I got 11 months before I gotta cross that bridge again
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #44
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc75matador View Post
it passed inspection with the hollow cat, it usually hides under the skidplate anyway, well I got 11 months before I gotta cross that bridge again
yeah I know how that one goes... the cat is pretty similar to some of the regular car cats from the 1990's, or you could pop for a new "universal" one. Most guys go for the performance-type universal cats for about $100.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.