my new daily driver - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my new daily driver

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'd keep the 235/75 tires, I've got a set of those on my DD 2.5L and it motors along just fine.

Otherwise it's looking good

I'd probably fold down that light bar when driving on the road if you can, they're a bit draggy...

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I'd keep the 235/75 tires, I've got a set of those on my DD 2.5L and it motors along just fine.

Otherwise it's looking good

I'd probably fold down that light bar when driving on the road if you can, they're a bit draggy...
thanks, i think I will keep the 235s, it's only a 10 minute drive to work, we'll see how it goes tomorrow, in the spring i will do the taurus fan swap that should free up some horses. I can't fold down the light bar, it's a stationary unit, I am going to remove the rectangle lights and mount them on the bumper ends, I am not sure on what to do with the lightbar, none of the lights are hooked up right now, i pulled all the wiring last week, there were no relays and they were hooked up directly to the battery and a switch on the dash. I may decide to keep the two KCs on top or I may just remove everything. thank you
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What a bummer today, did not enjoy this ride at all, talk about slow, on my way in I actually did hit 5th gear but going slightly downgrade, on my way home I never left 4th, seems like I have to mash the pedal to the floor to get this thing to move, Come on! my 80 CJ with the 2.5 has more pep than this and that's running 31s and 3.54 gearing. Something must be seriously wrong, this engine idles ok and seems to run good has 115k miles on it, there are no noises. I filled up the tank and then I discovered some cracked vac hoses when I got home and have replaced them, i guess I will see what tomorrow brings. It does ride down the road nice and straight, does not wander nor sway, I was surprised with the amount of play in the box. I fixed some cluster lights that were out and cleaned the dash a bit, I also removed the stainless dash trim, I like it better without, didnt take any after pictures today. Also my steering column lower bearing came today but I didn't install it yet, maybe this weekend...

Here is a shot of the stainless dash trim
Unread 01-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #19
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

so I have found and fixed some more vac leaks, it seems someone replaced one behind the motor with an oversize hose that was not a tight fit and hence was leaking, it runs so much better now, i have gone thru all the vac hoses and replaced most of them, the 4wd light is still on though, not sure what to check next on that, funny thing is it wasn't on until I started fixing vac leaks. I also removed the lightbar to cut down on drag as suggested but i will be taking the rectangular lights off of it and mounting them to the front bumper ends on some offset brackets so they sit behind the bumper profile, will post some pics when I get that done. I am also going to do something with the stereo, it's not wired in properly and when I shut the key off and then back on it starts to play the CD from the beginning, I also need some speakers, it just has the two stockers up front and they sound like crap, has wires running to the back behind the seat but there is nothing hooked to them.
Thanks for all your help guys!
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
dkirkley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc75matador View Post
so I have found and fixed some more vac leaks, it seems someone replaced one behind the motor with an oversize hose that was not a tight fit and hence was leaking, it runs so much better now, i have gone thru all the vac hoses and replaced most of them, the 4wd light is still on though, not sure what to check next on that, funny thing is it wasn't on until I started fixing vac leaks. I also removed the lightbar to cut down on drag as suggested but i will be taking the rectangular lights off of it and mounting them to the front bumper ends on some offset brackets so they sit behind the bumper profile, will post some pics when I get that done. I am also going to do something with the stereo, it's not wired in properly and when I shut the key off and then back on it starts to play the CD from the beginning, I also need some speakers, it just has the two stockers up front and they sound like crap, has wires running to the back behind the seat but there is nothing hooked to them.
Thanks for all your help guys!
Did you happen to take pictures regarding the vacuum hoses replaced? As in which ones you replaced and where they are located? I always get the feeling my 93 should have more power than it does even though its a 2.5. I've been meaning to check all the vacuum lines too but I don't even know where to start.
dkirkley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #21
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced pretty much all the vac hoses, there were a few that looked like they had been replaced not long ago and were nice and tight, i did one at a time so there is no chance of screwing up
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So here's the pics from today, I took the lightbar off the other day and this is what it looks like without it, there is a pic of the brackets that i made at work out of some scrap stainless for the lights on the bumper, and some shots of the lights profile with and without the brackets installed. I am sure some of you have installed lights this way before and this is nothing new, I just thought I'd share it, there is some flexibility as to how they can be mounted, you can angle the brackets to the sides to move the lights around for better aesthetics. I mounted mine straight back. It's not necessary to make your own mount tabs, I used shackle plates in the past on an older CJ I had to mount lights. Let me know what you think

Unread 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #23
PastorBrian
2015 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good bud. Loving it. Wish I had the manual steering actually.
PastorBrian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #24
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't been doing anything with it lately besides driving it to work and back, I did tow a trailer today with 11 old filing cabinets that I got from work and I will use for storage, it towed pretty good considering the facts, heavy load, 4 cylinder, steering gear play, I never got to 5th gear but I wasn't gonna drive that fast anyway, didnt snap any pics, I didn't even unload the trailer, it's -3F and windy here today, can't even stand to be outside for 1 minute. I did something to the lower column bearing that I am not sure how it will work. I got my replacement bearing a couple weeks ago but I have not had the time nor any decent weather to replace it, so I made a split bushing out of PVC and inserted it between the bearing cages to take out some slop, afterwards I tried to yank on the wheel and it doesn't clunk around like it did before, it does turn free, as I didn't jam this bushing in there, it is a loose fit. I will see how it feels tomorrow when I go to work, I hope the weather gets better soon, the Jeep has been starting up great in the morning and I usually let it idle for about 5 minutes before I take off. I did have to throw it in 4wd when backing the trailer up in all this snow, and it works awesome, the light on the dash stays on whether it's in 2wd or 4wd, I still haven't figured it out, any help would be appreciated. Also I still cannot get the horn to work, I haven't messed with it much, again cause of the cold, but I know when I first tried it it beeped briefly, now it doesnt do anything, I dont even hear the relay click, where is that relay anyway? under dash or outside?
Thanks guys
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

LIFE IS GRAND, 300 yards from the house and exhaust blows out, looks like it broke at the flange, cat side of course
Unread 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also I still cannot get the horn to work, I haven't messed with it much, again cause of the cold, but I know when I first tried it it beeped briefly, now it doesnt do anything, I dont even hear the relay click, where is that relay anyway? under dash or outside?
Thanks guys
That relay is under the hood in the PDC....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have that PDC on mine
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #28
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I will check my garage- I did a power steering swap a couple years ago and don't know what I did with my old manual box. I may have one sitting you can have for the price of postage. :-)

I'll check my spare parts bin and let you know. Your YJ reminds me of mine when I got it... Not much on mine looks like that any more! LOL.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #29
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't have that PDC on mine
Sorry... my bad, thats where mine is and all I had to do to fix my horn was plug the darn thing in....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #30
dkirkley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc75matador
LIFE IS GRAND, 300 yards from the house and exhaust blows out, looks like it broke at the flange, cat side of course
Time for a cherry bomb?
dkirkley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.