My New 1995 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My New 1995 YJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

My New 1995 YJ

This is my first Jeep, 1995 YJ with 3" suspension lift and 31x10.50's. I believe that it has all stock gears 307, with 4.0L 5-speed manual transmission. I will be using it daily to drive to work (20 miles one way) when it is not in my shop being worked on. I am new to the whole jeep mod program. Right now it seems to be in perfect working order, runs and drives great. What is the first thing I should be thinking of to get the RPMs up a little and also to make it so that I don't break the first time out. I don't understand much about things I can do to improve the flex, suspension tougness, off road handling while still maintaining something my wife can drive on the road occasionally. Any advice for a newby would be appreciated.

Also, how do I add pics to my post?? Can't seem to find the add button.

HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just go easy on the skinney pedal and you wont break it. You have to be a member for 30 days and have a certain number of posts, but if you put the image tags around them, someone can quote your post and the pics will show up in their post. By getting the rpm's up i'm guessing you mean more horsepower? If thats the case just get a tune up, new cap, plugs, wires, rotor and air filter. If it's already lifted i'd start to armor it up.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well that is one thing that I have actually already done, tune up, plugs, wires, filters, belt, cap etc.. It certainly helped, appeared it still had factory stuff with 80K miles. By RPM's I was referring to the gears and size tires taken a toll on it.

What is the scoop on lockers? Can I run a locker in the rear without running one in the front? I guess my concern in not taken away from the highway use. The first ditch I tried to cross in 4wd got the right front and the rear left spinning with no traction.

Thanks,
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13 View Post
Just go easy on the skinney pedal and you wont break it. You have to be a member for 30 days and have a certain number of posts, but if you put the image tags around them, someone can quote your post and the pics will show up in their post. By getting the rpm's up i'm guessing you mean more horsepower? If thats the case just get a tune up, new cap, plugs, wires, rotor and air filter. If it's already lifted i'd start to armor it up.
x2, I have the same gears, engine, and transmission as you, and I have to say that a tune up has given me the best power increase. It sounds like you have a good dd/occasional offroader setup, maybe you could look into a set of sway bar disconnects and a extendable track bar for better suspension flex
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
metal_kid17
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can run a locker in the rear without one in the front. Most people do. But if you still want to drive it on the highway and such i would suggest a selectable locker eg: ARB, OX, Auburn Ected.
Unread 12-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
davidteachey
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the fun! I bought the same rig as you, about two months ago. Love it! Enjoy your toy,

David
davidteachey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
94YJEEPER
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome. And good luck with the Jeep

You do fine with the stock gearing... But if you don't have a SYE or CV style drive shaft you might want to put a TC drop (Transfer Case) drop If you have any vibrations, this well cut them out... But with a 3in lift you shouldn't have that much of a problem... You also might already have a TC drop...

But with the locker question, like stated above you can just put one in the rear... And you can have it locked in all the time if its in the rear... But it might put a lil wear on your rear end, my uncle runs his as a DD and his rear end has a locker in it and its been a few years now with it locked... And hes got the D35 which is what you should have... So you should be okay...

But good luck man, and if you have any questions just post em up
Warn M8000 winch
94YJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #8
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can wheel a stock jeep just fine, people have done it for over 50 years. Don't get up in the money pit thing right off the bat. Just enjoy the jeep for awhile. It doesn't take a ton of money to wheel, just a good running jeep and some gas. 3:07's are too high, I don't even know why jeep put them in a wrangler. 4:10's is a good all around gear with your 31x10.50's and even up to a 33x12.50.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would recommend the ausie locker (or any other lunch box type) in the front first if you just doing one, your jeep has an axle disconnect on the front axle so in 2H the locker is mechanically disconnected and you wont have any noticable driving difference from stock untill you put it in 4x4. I have the 3.07 on 31"s and while gutless in 5th it drives fine and I get about 18mpg average, over 20 highway. enjoy your new to you jeep
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
JaikYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Post up a link to a picture on photobucket or cardomain and we will click free it for you. Congrats on the jeep.
Unread 12-25-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

JaikYJ, Sorry man, but you are speaking french on the "photobucket or cardiomain" where is this located and how is it done. I did get one loaded on the yj photo gallery but after I cut it down to the size it allowed me to upload it took a lot of the quality out of the pic. Assistance here would be nice also.

I bet yall get tired of the newbies!!!
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 12-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Photo link, if someone would please do there thing to it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/data/4/jeep811.JPG

http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/data/4/jeep616.JPG

Thanks again
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
Unread 12-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's a nice YJ.

OH yeah, click free below.....

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install

Last edited by Feetwet; 12-25-2008 at 11:44 AM..
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #14
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Photo link, if someone would please do there thing to it.

Thanks again

Nice Jeep, Hank.

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

Feetwet's Ford 8.8 Axle Teardown/Rebuild/Install

AX5 Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Hand Throttle Install

AX5 Vent Install
Feetwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanksRide View Post
Well that is one thing that I have actually already done, tune up, plugs, wires, filters, belt, cap etc.. It certainly helped, appeared it still had factory stuff with 80K miles. By RPM's I was referring to the gears and size tires taken a toll on it.

What is the scoop on lockers? Can I run a locker in the rear without running one in the front? I guess my concern in not taken away from the highway use. The first ditch I tried to cross in 4wd got the right front and the rear left spinning with no traction.

Thanks,
Yes you can run a locker in the rear and not the front, or a locker in the front and not in the rear, but if it were me, since it's your daily driver, run selectable lockers like ARB or ox. It only locks when you want it to, so it won't be chirping around and locking when you're driving. But if you're going to get a non selectable, put it up front. When the YJ is in 2wd the front drive shaft doesn't spin, so the locker won't lock unless you enguage 4wd, kinda like a selectable but not quite.

As for gears, if you have the money re-gearing is nice, but i'm not to familiar with reccomended gears on the 6cyl seeing as I have a 4 banger.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.