My mini write up on what to do if you break a body mount bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My mini write up on what to do if you break a body mount bolt

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 06-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Goobersbro

My mini write up on what to do if you break a body mount bolt

Okay so I'm bored waiting for a movie to start so I thought I would post this up. Nothing super but anywho just thought I would share. When removing my body mounts to remove the tub I broke 6 of my body mounts. I know many other people have done the same when doing this project to install a body lift. I had soaked my body mounts for about three weeks in PB blaster heated the area and used and impact and they still broke....They broke up high and were simply just a pain. So my solution was to cut out the old adjustment nuts and make some new ones.

I'll cover the rear passenger side of the jeep....My tub is off but I just did this on a buddys jeep with his tub on. First I cut 3 sides like a rectangle on the inside in the little cavity between the wheel well and the back of the jeep. I cut it like this so when I'm all done I can flip it back and weld it back just like it was.

Next once I had the old one out it was time to make a new one...If I really wanted to I probably could have got the broken part of the bolt out of the old keeper but it was all rusted and this just seemed faster.

So I took a piece of 5/16ths flat stock and cut it into a square of 2 and one/8th inches and then drilled roughly a 7/8ths hole it was more like a 13/16ths but tapered on both sides to allow my weld to kind of puddle into.

I then bought a 7/16ths 14 thread nut and placed it inside of my circle

and then started welding...I would weld one side then jump to the other and slowly worked my way around the nut. This was the top side since the nut is a little taller than the 5/16ths steel

After this was accomplished I ground it down flat on the bottom side to get a flat surface and this was the finished product.

Then I painted it and installed it. So far I have done like 3 of these and they have all worked great. I was able to do these projects with an angle grinder, a right angle drill with a tapered bit, and a 110 mig welder. I would say they took me about 25-30 minutes a piece but thats cutting the old one out to putting the new one in.....Anywho just thought I would share...The body mount bolts along the frame rails are bigger than the rest so when you do this to those you need to buy a bigger nut. Not sure what size that one is off the top of my head but the other two I did were that size and they also worked out well.

Also one more note I thought I would add if you don't have a tap and die set make sure to put a bolt in the nut when you weld it as slag will want to jump in there if not..on my first one I forgot to do this so I just ran my tap through it but on the other two I made sure to put the bolt in the nut while welding.

So yea there is my mini write up haha nothing special just thought I would share.

Happy Wheeling,
Jon

Unread 06-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
g8ts
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Goobersbro,

Mini or not nice write up! Ever little tidbit always helps me out...

Thanks,
Unread 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree awesome write up.. I'm just trying to figure out where that first pic is takin at..
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djsthe1 View Post
I agree awesome write up.. I'm just trying to figure out where that first pic is takin at..
It's the rear of the tub. It's where your rear two body mounts are. It's a box channel that is easily cut into and sealed back up.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Goobersbro

Yea its odd because my tub is off the jeep and on its side. But I did that same bolt on a buddies jeep and you can access in there with the tub still on and thanks guys for the comps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.