My LS1 Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My LS1 Project

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
glennsea

My LS1 Project

I just obtained an LS1 and tranny from a 98 Z28 to install in my 88 YJ. I am new to this so have a lot to learn. This will be a daily driver, mostly road use, little offroading.

What else should I be look at or thinking about to start this?

I don't want to hotrod it too much so am thinking of doing the following upgrades in the near future.
• CAM - LS6 cam.
• Intake - LS6 or aftermarket manifold with NOX fittings.
• Headers - limited due to space and steering shaft. Would like long tube but not sure if this is possible.
• Fuel pump - it is my understanding that I need a positive pressure fuel pump which can be installed in the cell. IS it possible to install one inline on the fuel line outside of the cell?
• Engine mounts - looking at the Novak kit. I would be fine with something like the Advanced Adapter bolt on saddle mount as I don't weld but I don't see a model for the LS1.

glennsea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

An LS1 is a 350, you have the aluminum new school 350. So, just get a motor mount kit you like thats fits a 350(or 5.7) and your good. There are tons of write ups, build threads for people that have done 350 swaps on this board. You can search me out and see the progress, and problems people had. Good luck.
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

LS1 is a great engine ... even if its a Chevy ha ha.

On a serious note, are you going to do a full rebuild on this engine? Or are you just wanting to swap cams? I would find Chevy builders in your area or online and ask them about cam choices. Selecting the wrong cam can leave you with results that hurt you.

I run a full cell in the back of my jeep behind the rear seat and use a pump inline. Works fine....but I'm also only running a chevy tbi ontop of my Mopar. So the fuel needs are less than what you'll need. I'm sure you'll be fine though.
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
glennsea

The engine has 93,000 miles ont it. From the research I have done, it is not worth rebuilding until around 130,000 or more. At this point I would rather put the money into finishing the project and will rebuild later.

I have read a lot on CAM choices, how to chose, etc. I understand matching heads with a CAM, etc. but that is not what I want to do. I really only want to change the CAM and do some bolt on's. I have also read the the rockers and springs that come with the engine are fine with a CAM like the LS6, but I think if I buy that CAM kit from a Chevy dealer it come with everything.
glennsea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
drunkencitywork
1995 YJ Wrangler 

no genius...but I think you need four wheel drive tranny
drunkencitywork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The LS6 cam/intake is a good setup. You will need different valve springs too. Even a stock LS1 is fine. There is a lot of power to be made on a stock motor with a free flowing intake/exhaust, and a good dyno tune.

I don't know what's commercially availible for LSX motor mounts because I make my own using plate and poly spring eye bushings. It's pretty easy. Longtube headers won't work because the front driveshaft will be in the way. You need shorty headers. Center outlet blockhuggers are the easiest to build an exhaust off of. I have Doug Thorley LS1 headers which are really nice but Speedway, Hooker and a few others also make good ones.

You can use an inline pump. There are many that will work. I have a Walbro 255 lr/hr (Walbro 392) that can be had for around $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebigh View Post
An LS1 is a 350, you have the aluminum new school 350. So, just get a motor mount kit you like thats fits a 350(or 5.7) and your good. There are tons of write ups, build threads for people that have done 350 swaps on this board. You can search me out and see the progress, and problems people had. Good luck.
Um no it's not an aluminum 350 lightyears ahead
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post

Um no it's not an aluminum 350 lightyears ahead
LS1
GM LS1 engine from the Chevrolet Camaro
GM LS1 engine from the Chevrolet Corvette C5

The LS1 shares little other than similar displacement, external dimensions, and rod bearings, with its predecessor. It is an all-aluminum 5.7 L (5,665 cc/345.7 cu in) pushrod engine and was rated between 305 - 350 hp (227 to 261 kW) and 335-375 ft·lbf (454-508 N·m) of torque in North America, depending on the application. In Australia, continuous modifications were made to the LS1 engine throughout its lifetime, reaching 382 hp (285 kW) in the HSV's YII series and a Callaway modified version, named C4B, was fitted to HSV GTS models producing 402 hp (300 kW).

Yeah, sorry, you have a 345.7
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Douglas S.

I think he's just saying that there's more to it than just taking an old 350 and building the exact same thing out of aluminum.
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
Thee_Nickster
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The mounts on the LS1 are different than standard "small block Chevy" mounts. You might have to fab up your own mounts.
1971 Plymouth Duster
Thee_Nickster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

OG style 350 motor mounts can be adapted to a Gen III block easily. But it's not much more work to make your own from scratch.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.