my lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > my lift

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-09-2001, 05:46 PM   #1
Bassili

my lift

Hey all,

I don't really know anything at all about hardcore jeeping but here's my problem:

I want to lift my 88 YJ (4.0 v6 i think) and I was planning on a 3 inch body lift with some 33 inch all terrain tires and new rims. I REALLY want to keep costs down which works out nicely because I'm not really going to be doing anything really crazy with my jeep that needs a suspension lift. Anyways, the question is, is this a good route to take for my situation and what problems should i be expecting from this route? Thanks a lot for your time.

Unread 09-09-2001, 06:38 PM   #2
RodeoRob

Its an okay route to if you're looking at keeping costs down. typically people suspension lift first, and only resort to body lifts when suspension lifts have been exhausted. the only bad part about the BL, it won't help your ground clearance like a suspension lift would.

not sure if you can clear 33's with only 3" of body lift. I know my friends 2" body lift won't clear 33's. is your's an auto or a manual? with 3" you'll need to extend both shifter and steering linkages. you'll have to loose the fan shroad, or drop the radiator.

if i could make another suggestion, maybe consider a SOA (spring over axle) conversion. The technical factor is a lot higher, but this can be done cheap (especially if you or a friend can weld) and will yield 4-5" of suspension lift keeping the stock ride. IMHO, would be a better route to go to.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 05:26 PM   #3
Cinderella

Hi,

tend to follow rodeobob's ideas:

stay away from body-lifts as long as you can, it will force you to adapt ( if you are going over 1" BL ): brake lines, gear-box, steering and other linkages, radiator position etc, etc, (in fact everything which is in between the body and "chassis") ... GO for a suspension lift: up to 2.5" you won't have any problems BESIDES realigning the rear differential ( facing more "up") to the transfer-case. And this will safely clear 31-32" tires. Why do you want to go for 33" ? Don't forget big might be beautifull but ... "does size matter?"

92YJ (2,5L 4cyl, K&N-Cyclone-restrictor.removed..., HP-exhaust,HD clutch, 2,5"SL,1"BL, Rancho, SYE, Revolver, Quick Disconnects, telescopic track-bar, 33*9.5*15MT)WARN9000
Cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 05:48 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am comfortably running 33 x 12.50 tires with my 4" suspension lift. I got the cheapest lift possible, which is very stiff, great for mud racing, but not all that great for rock-crawling.

I am also against body lifts, unless everything else is exhausted .. my next modification that I am planning is BushWacker's new PocketStyle "CutOut" fender flare .. looks like I might be able to fit 35" tires using them with my 4" lift .. for a stock YJ, I'd imagine a 32" tire would be able to fit. Mix that with the 2.5" suspension lift and you might fit 33" tires .. might be the easier way to go ..

Something to check out .. (btw: I can't find information on BushWacker's site about these flares yet, only in the magazines).

Laters!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2001, 10:45 PM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Bassili,

Just received your private message, but the way my email works, its difficult to reply back.

Quote:
Hey,
sorry to bother you but I just have a question for ya. I noticed you have an 88 laredo and I think I read that you have 33s. Im looking to put a 3inch body lift and 33s on my 88 laredo and I'm just wondering what problems u ran in to at all. I don't really know anything at all about fixing stuff myself so I will be getting it installed but will I have to change anything else besides getting new rims? Thanks a lot.
Well, as a starter, the 3" body lift would not be enough to clear the tire without rubbing .. as an '88 Jeep, your springs are probably sagged out (mine sure were) and the shocks are just about gone as well. If you replace your springs and shocks with stock units and a body lift, you might be lucky to fit (with minimal rubbing). Look at your rear springs .. which direction are they sitting .. do they have a downward arch, flat, or upward arch? If they are flat or upward, the springs are sagged out and the 33" tires will not fit with only a body lift.

Hope this helps you in your decision making.

Take a peak at my Jeep at HardCoreJeep.com under "Jeep Shots" if you are interested ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2001, 08:09 PM   #6
87yj350

Bassili, I got your message and I put info on my jeep back where the picture is. Go back and read about it there.

Thanks
87yj350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.