My license plate should read "MNYPIT" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My license plate should read "MNYPIT"

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 08-30-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My license plate should read "MNYPIT" (Speedo Gear Info)

The worst thing you can do is go out and lay under your Jeep...

Was looking into changing my speedo gear so that the gauge will read correctly with 33s. Pulled the existing gear out which was easy enough, it has 41 teeth. That comes out to a 27" tire with 4.10s if the calculators are correct (was 27" the OEM size). Checked to see what it should be with 33s...tells me a gear with 33 teeth. Cool, call the dealer, he'll get it to the tune of $25 (why do they call em stealerships, again?)...well, whatever, I want to have a speedometer that's pretty true so I tell him to order one up. Since then I've seen other charts and calculators that say I should run 34 teeth and 36 teeth. Guess it'll be close with 33, I'll break out the GPS and verify once it's in. BTW, this may be the easiest mod on a Jeep ever. Grab a 1/2" box wrench (the ratcheting ones are sweet) and you'll have the gear out in less than 2 minutes. Anyway....none of this has to do with my quest for a new vanity license plate.

While I was out there I figured I'd look into my "fumes" problem. The Jeep has had it since probably last November. Could never tell if it was an engine problem or an exhaust problem. Well my engine died in May and I have a crate engine now...the stink remains the same (does anyone remember laughter).

So it wasn't the engine, it's the exhaust, must have a leak somewhere....so I get a bunch of shop towels and jam em up in the tailpipe real good. Engine keeps on running, not a whole lot different than without being blocked up. Not good I think. So with the rags in place, I roll under the muffler....engine had been cold so no real risk of a nasty burn. Start feeling around and sure enough, the inlet pipe on the muffler is cracked all around it and putting out a nice stream of air.

So now I guess I gotta look into a cat-back system. Any recommendations for the 4 banger? Flowmaster? Dynomax?

More money to spend but on the plus side, I won't hallucinate so much driving around.

Oh, and while I was under I also noticed that the down pipe is rubbing against the front drive shaft. Just feckin' great.

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37

Last edited by Shinner; 08-31-2004 at 12:22 PM..
Shinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
OlllllllO
2000 TJ Wrangler 

tell me about it...the YJ has pretty much been parked since may. and when we finally thought it was fixed it wasn't, so now its at the shop again gettin new pistons and prolly some other new internals too. should just put a 6cyl. and get it over with
Unread 08-30-2004, 04:09 PM   #3
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlllllllO
should just put a 6cyl. and get it over with
Same here....the more I think about it, I should have took the thing to a Jeep guru and had him put in a six (or better, V8) with new trans and xfer case. I know I have trans work ahead of me, the synchro for 3rd gear is well on it's way out, so I imagine there's a rebuild in the future. By the time that's paid for combined with what I paid for the remanufactured 4 cyl, I will probably have spent enough to go big.

Black Jeep Society - Black Jeep Club V2.0 #37 - Merry Wacko Jeep Club #37 - Metalhead Jeep Club #37 - 2.5L Low Output Jeep Club #37
Unread 08-31-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

When you get the correct gear for the transfer case, would you mind posting up the part number? Should be the same number for my '89, right?

As for the front driveshaft rubbing....mine does it too. I figure I'll just leave it alone.
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySHOguy
When you get the correct gear for the transfer case, would you mind posting up the part number? Should be the same number for my '89, right?
Probably different....year range is split between 87-90 and 91-93. I'd guess they use different housings even though they're the same length gear.

Both use the same long shaft gear but part numbers are different according to:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/module...article&sid=28

Note that when I gave the dealer the number from this page (2538933 - 33 tooth speedo gear), he'd said they changed it and now it follows the 5 series numbers (i.e. an 8 digit number starting with 5 and ending with the last 2 digits being the tooth count).

Gonna pick mine up in a little while, dealer just called. I can't read the alignment numbers on the housing because of some white scale type crap encrusted on it so I'm gonna have to do some trial and error until the speedo responds.

Quote:
As for the front driveshaft rubbing....mine does it too. I figure I'll just leave it alone.
Wonder if it's a common problem...I noticed it because it looked like it wore a nice bright band on the driveshaft which now has rust on it.

Unread 08-31-2004, 12:19 PM   #6
Shinner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok...got it in this morning. The part numbers have changed, the 33 tooth sg for mine was 52068155 whereas the Jeep websites always list it as 2538933. Note also that the last 2 digits do NOT reflect the tooth count.

A few words about the parts....there's a number imprinted on the bottom of the gear. On my original gear it was stamped "41"...which matched the tooth count. On the new gear, it's stamped "55" which matches the part number NOT the tooth count. Also note that the new gear is a smaller diameter. See pics below (hope you can make out the numbers).

Top View:

Side View:

Install was a piece of cake and I got lucky and put the thing in right the first time. Before I put it in, I ran out and checked the actual speed versus the speedometer. At 50MPH on the speedo, the GPS read 62! After changing the gear, it now reads 48. So I went from reading 12MPH under actual to 2MPH over (no reason for getting a speeding ticket now, eh)!

The speedometer seems to be high by 2MPH at all speeds now (I checked starting at 10MPH and then checked at 10MPH increments). SO.....I think the calculator I used at Jeeptech is a bit off.

I've seen other charts that list 34 (and 36!) teeth as being correct for 33s with 4.10 gears. I think the 34 toother would probably shave that 2MPH difference off (or at least 1MPH) and make the speedometer more accurate. Don't think the dealer will take the 33 tooth SG back and exchange it for a 34 since it's been installed.

On the bright side, if I should ever go up to 35s, my speedometer will become more accurate.

Last edited by Shinner; 08-17-2005 at 01:33 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.