My Leafs are flat as a pancake.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Leafs are flat as a pancake....

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Gunmetal
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My Leafs are flat as a pancake....

Is that normal? I mean, I don't know what they should look like if they are new, but I know the leaf springs on my dodge ram were not flat. People talk about sagging, but in order to notice sag you have to have something to compare it to. Since I just got my jeep I am not sure if they are supposed to look like that.

If they are sagging, what is the best fix? A new set? How about just a set of add a leafs?

Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Elsahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine on the 90' where pretty much flat. I still managed to fit some 31 bfg ats on. But the black diamond lift on our 89' has alot more arch then the stock leaf springs had (obviously). I would guess to say that the majority of stock leaf springs will be relatively flat or have just a small about of arch, after 20 years of use. I doubt they came with that much to begin with tho.

Maybe its time for a lift?

What you could do, depends on what you "want" to do
I had add a left on one of my toyota trucks and it worked nicely so as to not to sag in the rear.
If you were to get a new set, In my opinion, you should consider getting a small lift kit. Get new shocks (those alone could make a world of difference if yours are oem) and and maybe a 2" lift set of springs.

Guess it really depends on what you want to do with your jeep.
Use the search and the picture forum if your curious what a lift would look like on your rig.
Elsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Stock YJ springs from the factory had little to no arch in them.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
89-YJ

I just pulled mine off and they were pretty flat too. Im in the middle of an SOA swap..bought some 3.5 lift springs. Should be set
89-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
College94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I always wondered this too, Mine has 130k on stock leafs so I just thought they were saggy. I'm going to a 3" lift when I get the money though
College94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

can i have them
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Uberjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
If they are sagging, what is the best fix? A new set? How about just a set of add a leafs?

If you are handy with a wrench, can scrounge a pick 'n pull yard, and have an afternoon to kill, do a bastard pack lift. Worked wonders for mine. Can do both front and rear the same way, but in my case the rears were totally flat with some arc left in the fronts so I have only done the rear so far. I am doing a 75% driveline swap (scout dana44 front axle/nv3550 trans/dana300 transfer case) this summer, so I will do my fronts then.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...led-yj-752903/
My Jeep has only ever killed three things. A deer, a dog, and my wallet.
*retired* Low Output Jeep Club # 135
Uberjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 05:04 AM   #8
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am hoping the stock springs I just picked up are nice and flat when I go SOA... better ride and flex. High arch = stiffer spring and less flex.

And 89-yj... SOA with 3.5" lift springs is going to put your wayyyy up in the air. Guys run 42's on SOA yj's with 1.5 and 2" springs.

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
89-YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ5 View Post
And 89-yj... SOA with 3.5" lift springs is going to put your wayyyy up in the air. Guys run 42's on SOA yj's with 1.5 and 2" springs.
I read through a few build threads and i see guys running soa with 3in springs and 37's. I dont know how to get 42's on with out completely hacking your fenders...assuming you want room to articulate.
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

highline tube fenders and comp cut and you would be good to go. You dont need a ton of uptravel, maybe 4-5 inches max, it is the droop which means the most. 3" springs are going to be pretty stiff and not flex nearly as well. But some dont really care about flex, just wanna clear "big tires"... so I guess it is all preference.

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
YJ Ynot
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89-YJ View Post
I just pulled mine off and they were pretty flat too. Im in the middle of an SOA swap..bought some 3.5 lift springs. Should be set
that is gonna be huge..soa gets 5 1/2 alone if you need more go with
a BL..

I'll stop procrastinating tomorrow...
YJ Ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
89-YJ

Oh i know the jeep is going to sit really high. I bought it wrecked and its just going to be something fun for the trails. We'll see how it turns out.
Unread 02-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #13
leadsled01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
Is that normal? I mean, I don't know what they should look like if they are new, but I know the leaf springs on my dodge ram were not flat. People talk about sagging, but in order to notice sag you have to have something to compare it to. Since I just got my jeep I am not sure if they are supposed to look like that.

There is a local junk yard really close to Akron, Ohio called MARS . They have a yj wrangler with 3" lift springs for $55 a spring, if you are interested in a used spring lift.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #14
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89-YJ View Post
Oh i know the jeep is going to sit really high. I bought it wrecked and its just going to be something fun for the trails. We'll see how it turns out.
wht size tire are you planning on running cause a 3.5" SOA is around 9" o lift. 40-44 im thinking. or you can run 31x10.5's haha get more flex
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #15
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Currently my stock suspension springs sit about the exact same as everyone says... flat, or the slightest amount of arch. Mine has the 4.0 and a hardtop too, so I know mine aren't too worn cause they're not inverted .

I have 31's on it and They rub when I drive on anything rough at all, so until I lift it I'm stuck on the road

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.