My kid wants to build a jeep, I need help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My kid wants to build a jeep, I need help.

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Knottymaid
2008 JK Wrangler 

My kid wants to build a jeep, I need help.

We have a 14y/o that wants our '08 Rubi Sorry kid, no dice! We have decided to let him build up a YJ. He has a reasonable budget and if he does not do the work he will have nothing to drive. Being that he is 14 we have up to a year and a half to complete the build. I am hoping you guys can give some guidance on the best path. He needs a project, to stop him from over the girls.

Right now I can pick up a rolled YJ for $1250. Frame, springs and running gear are straight and rust free. It is a 2.5L with nothing special on it except a front locker. The tub is shot. Since he wants 35s I figure it is just as well to take it down to the frame for the SOA lift and such. Before we get too far in to this, I guess it is a good time to address 2.5, 4.0, or bail and wait for a better donar jeep. Mama said He&% NO on the SBS! This will be a daily driver but we are out in the country and he only has 6 miles to school. Also, I have no doubt it will be in the mud more than I like.

Thanks
Tod

Knottymaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

sounds great! you can do a lot of work on a jeep with little budget. you may be able to run the 35's on the 2.5, but i would advise either a swap, or look for a 4.0. sounds like a great father-son project!

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
ss454
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The 2.5 is an alright motor, but if you're planning on using 35s, a 4.0 may be a little better of an option.

I really wish my parents did something this cool for me when I was 14...
ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Volacious
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I say go for it! My brother and I undertook a Camaro project when he turned 16. i was only 13 at the time. It really taught us a lot about vehicles. We made some mistakes... ok, a lot of mistakes, but we pulled through and the thing is beautiful. We tore it down to the bare frame and pulled the engine, rebuilt another one, and put the other one in. Anyways, giving him a project will teach him a lot. you may need to encourage him every once in a while though... some times it gets too hard. Make sure the damage isn't too excessive. excessive body work can be a pain, even if you have the experience. It will keep him from the girls for a bit.... but once he gets it on the road, there's no hope ;-) girls will flock to the thing!
Volacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
jbutah

I don't know what your budget is, but I am thinking of selling mine.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/what-good-asking-price-my-91-sahara-711642/
jbutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Nice to see more father/son builds showing up

And there's nothing wrong with drooling over girls Well, drooling over them may not be the best way to get their attention

The 2.5 can push 35's no problem with proper gearing and a few light mods. I cruise own the highway in my rig at 70+ all the time, comfortably too. And the first time he takes that 2.5 through any deep mud he'll quickly learn that it doesn't have all the torque he wants to get through those deep, long mud pits. Which might make him avoid mud all together, which would work out for your advantage anyway

$1250 isn't bad at all if the tub doesn't need a ton of work and the running gear is in good shape. SOA would be a great way to go if he wants 35's, since you've got plenty of time to research and build it up right
Unread 03-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
plaidfro
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You could probably pick up a non-rolled 6cyl 4.0l YJ for not much more money.

I drive a 6cyl... my buddy has a 4cyl... The only advantage I see that a 2.5 has over the 4.0 is that there is lots of room to literally get in the engine compartment and work. You open a 2.5 hood and it looks like 1/2 the engine is missing ...

With 35s he's gonna want a bigger motor... hold out for a 6cyl, especially since you are going to take all the time and effort to build it up.
plaidfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
Knottymaid
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mama pulled the trigger without me. We will keep our eyes open for a 4.0L. Hopefully I can find a complete donar. There is plenty to get done before I have to worry about the engine and body....

We will post a build thread once we get started
Unread 03-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i remember being 15 an buying my first YJ, it was a 2.5 I paid 1200$ for. It was my first Jeep build, motor/trans rebuild and a lot of other work, but I had experience restoring hot rods before that which made it pretty easy for me. If your son's somewhat mechanically inclined and has a good teacher it should be a blast for him.

I'm sure he'd be happy with that motor on 33's. FWIW, i know if had 35's an a SOA when i first started jeepin i probably would be making a lot of bad calls on trails from inexperience.
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
crankyhobo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What a wicked father you are, i wish my dad had done projects like this with me!
crankyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just don't build the kid a death trap, I'ld keep it low and slow. Kids are bad to show off at that age. I would stay with 4 cylinder and just regear for power, like 4:56's. No bigger than 33's, maybe 31's or 32's and see how he does with that. My 02 wrangler had 31's and I swapped in 4:56's, it was a heck of an off roader and would still scoot a round on the street.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is a cool project you want to do with him. I would really consider looking for a high mileage or in need of repair jeep(to keep the cost down) with a hard top and a body that's not smashed. There's plenty of work left to do with a good body. If you agree on 35's, do a minimal amount of lift, and then do some flat fender flares and trimming to keep the jeep as stable as possible. I have a 4" suspension, 3/4" shackles and a 1" body lift with 37's. The flat fender, TJ rear flares open up the wheel wells a lot. A 4" suspension lift with the flat fenders will get 35's under it.
There's so much work to do. The gears will need to be changed, lockers are nice. Extended bump stops, SYE, a change of bumpers, etc. Just don't put him in a jeep that can't get out of it's own way. A 4.0 isn't overpowered for anyone. A 4 banger on the other hand is underpowered for anyone. Yes, you can get by with it, but that's all you'll be doing. Sorry to you guys with the 4 cyl, but that's true.
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
yj_hank
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidfro View Post
You could probably pick up a non-rolled 6cyl 4.0l YJ for not much more money.

I drive a 6cyl... my buddy has a 4cyl... The only advantage I see that a 2.5 has over the 4.0 is that there is lots of room to literally get in the engine compartment and work. You open a 2.5 hood and it looks like 1/2 the engine is missing ...

With 35s he's gonna want a bigger motor... hold out for a 6cyl, especially since you are going to take all the time and effort to build it up.
I agree here. My friend just picked up an 89 yj with 4.2, original owner, 5 speed and rust free for $1100.00 on craigslist. I helped my son build a 1968 cj5 (which he later traded for a crappy dodge daytona) and had a fun time with the build. Also you can now do a spring under easier and for less money than the spring over and still run 35's.

Henry
Unread 03-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
Knottymaid
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ugggg, title was only signed by 1 party not both. Back on the hunt.
Unread 03-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottymaid View Post
Ugggg, title was only signed by 1 party not both. Back on the hunt.
See, it wasn't meant to be! Get a six! and a good body!
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.