MY Jeep won't start but it Runs, hat should I do!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MY Jeep won't start but it Runs, hat should I do!!!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
wildkidd
1990 YJ Wrangler 

MY Jeep won't start but it Runs, hat should I do!!!!!

Hi I recently got into the jeep world, I picked up a 1990 Jeep YJ Wrangler and it didn't run. I was told that it needed a fuel pump. So I put the fuel pump in and a new fuel filter but it still won't start. IF I put a few drops of gas or spray either down the throttle body it will start and run all day long, but if i shut it off it won't restart. What should I do next. It is a 90 2.5 liter YJ TBI.

wildkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
TowMaster
1996 ZJ 

I'm wonderful with a carbeurator, so forgive me if I make mistakes with terminology or advice on fuel injection. I would assume there's a clear problem with whatever controls your initial gas flow. i woudn't say fuel delivery, because that works fine once you stick some right into her, as you mentioned. Once it runs its telling it to pump the gas...just not when you initially crank...Do you know anyone that could test the pressure of your fuel lines at the throttle body?
NightCrew #125

Quote:
Why don't they have braille at drive-thru's?
TowMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

What happens if you turn the key to on, wait for the fuel pump to stop, and then back to off a few times before trying to start it? That might build up enough initial pressure for ya.

Tried running any injector cleaner?

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Hockey1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did the jeep sit a long time before you bought it? You might want to change out the fuel filter and clean the gas tank.

Welcome to America, now speak English!
Hockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
black99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

dont bother with that fuel injector crap. I've tried it numerous times and it doesnt do jack. there are write ups about them out there just to prove it. But anyways try the key method that keepishop suggested, if that has no effect then it probably isnt fuel pressure that is your problem. Does it have a new battery? if it cranks strong then thats not an issue. but it is possible for a jeep/car to run when helped but the battery doesnt have enough juice to start up on its own. test your battery, you need above about 9 volts to start a car. hope this helps and welcome to the forum!!!!!
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you shut it off, then do an immediate restart within just a handful of seconds, it won't start?

I was thinking it was your fuel pump relay that does the initial priming before a cold start, but generally if that is bad, once you get it running, it'll restart again within a reasonable time period.
Unread 04-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryris View Post
If you shut it off, then do an immediate restart within just a handful of seconds, it won't start?

I was thinking it was your fuel pump relay that does the initial priming before a cold start, but generally if that is bad, once you get it running, it'll restart again within a reasonable time period.
Be careful with that idea. I tried that a few times back when I had a frequent high idle problem, and ground my starter a few times. The 4.0 takes a LONG time to spin down compared to other engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black99 View Post
dont bother with that fuel injector crap. I've tried it numerous times and it doesnt do jack. there are write ups about them out there just to prove it. But anyways try the key method that keepishop suggested, if that has no effect then it probably isnt fuel pressure that is your problem. Does it have a new battery? if it cranks strong then thats not an issue. but it is possible for a jeep/car to run when helped but the battery doesnt have enough juice to start up on its own. test your battery, you need above about 9 volts to start a car. hope this helps and welcome to the forum!!!!!
13mpg to 15mpg with only a bottle of injector cleaner. I'm a believer, but to each his own. We need dyno test results to have anything set in stone as fact though.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
wildkidd
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I tested the battery that is fine, it has the proper fuel pressure and it has a new fuel pump and fuel filter. And once its running if i shut it off and restart it it won't restart it just cranks, it will only start if i put gas down the throttle body.
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
TowMaster
1996 ZJ 

I'm quite certain its an idle controller. Just my .02
NightCrew #125

Quote:
Unread 04-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Pedro_Slick
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How do you know it runs if it won't start.
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
wildkidd
1990 YJ Wrangler 

WHats the idle controller?
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
wildkidd
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I know it runs because if i put fuel down the throttle body it starts but it won't start if I don't do that
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
TowMaster
1996 ZJ 

Perhaps an idle set screw on a throttle body. It might be a torx bit but i wouldn't know. I'm just throwing ideas into the air. if it runs with gas straight into it, its pretty obvious there isn't the proper amount of gas or air making it to the cylinders for it to start itself.
NightCrew #125

Quote:
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
snidave02
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the previous post that you should look into the idle controller located on the throttle body. When I shut my engine off it does that 3 click noise. Its the idle controller actuator (or whatever you want to call it) returning to its home position I guess.
Go GATORS! U of F Alumni, FIU Law, Class of 2009! 1989 YJ 2.5L with 120,000 miles and: Rockcrawler front and rear bumpers with Mile Marker 9000 winch. Rockcrawl side rails, Yellow Top, Tuff Security boxes everywhere. 3.5" Fabtech Lift and Shocks. Rancho steering stabilizer and 33 inch Revos. Bestop seats, new windshield frame. Electric Fan Trying to keep up with everything that breaks...
2010 F-150 and 2009 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab
snidave02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #15
wildkidd
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok thanx I'll try that

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.