My Jeep Is Still Over Heating! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > My Jeep Is Still Over Heating!

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Reply
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
03WrnglerSahara
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grandview, MO
Posts: 85
My Jeep Is Still Over Heating!

I've replaced the water pump the thermostat and the temp sending unit, what the hell else is there to replace???

__________________
Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. - Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri_X_Troll
I've never been able to pick up chicks in my jeep. but then again I look like a hobbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsull
I am apparently retarded. :confused: Dumb it up real good, I'm a slow learner.
03WrnglerSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
483Fitter
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Jose California
Posts: 667
radiator.....
483Fitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....
 
rustywrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 18,616
Did you "burp" the system? I assume you put in 50/50 mix?

Radiator
__________________

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
03WrnglerSahara
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grandview, MO
Posts: 85
the radiator is fairly new, explain burping the system to me please, and yes i used a 50/50 mix

*EDIT* i was told it could aslo be my heater core
__________________
Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. - Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri_X_Troll
I've never been able to pick up chicks in my jeep. but then again I look like a hobbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsull
I am apparently retarded. :confused: Dumb it up real good, I'm a slow learner.
03WrnglerSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's
 
leftlanetruckin's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: missouri via blackpool,lancs.
Posts: 10,606
can get some connectors for the heater core that would shut it off....inline valves.
try that and then go to the rad, assuming it is bled correctly, and the fan works right.

martin
__________________
1998 XJ on 37's.JK Rubi axles with chromo shafts and ctm's, 4:1 transfer case, etc etc etc.The Cherylkee....
2003 Range Rover HSE, 4.4 Quad Cam.
1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....
 
rustywrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 18,616
You need to let the air out of the system. I have parked the jeep on a hill in the past facing up and run it with the overflow bottle cap off. You can also do it with the rad cap off but not a great way.

EDIT: Heater core is definat possibility. I would do what leftlane suggested and get some valves.
__________________

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #7
goatboy
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fillmore, California
Posts: 2,449
Ya know, everybody is talkin' about bleeding the system...in my opinion, that's just not a major deal here...when I fill the system, and the thermostat opens, it burps itself, you fill the system up as the engine is running, my Jeep, anyway, is NO problem to burp the system...now, compare that to a Mercedes where the radiator doesn't have a cap, and has a burp valve in the T-stat housing...that's where burping comes in...

I'm not a professional mechanic in that I don't do it for a living, but two things come to mind here for me...I agree with those who are pointing at the radiator, and I don't care if it's fairly new or not...take it off, take it to a radiator shop, and have them take apart and take a look...otherwise, you don't know...

The other thing I'm thinkin' is a cracked head and/or bad head gasket...My machine shop told me that they see a LOT of cracked Jeep heads...and if that's the case, combustion gases are escaping into the water jacket, and as others have recommended previously, whether to you or on other threads, a competent mechanic is able to detect combustion gases in your coolant, or you can do a compression leakdown test...or both...

So. There ya have it, in one dude's opinion. Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst. But, get 'er done anyway...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
03WrnglerSahara
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grandview, MO
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
can get some connectors for the heater core that would shut it off....inline valves.
try that and then go to the rad, assuming it is bled correctly, and the fan works right.

martin
What exactly do u mean shut it off? I just want to state that im a newbie i've never touched a car until I got my jeep so alot of things are new to me, all the work i've done on my jeep has been a first for me. Tomorrow im going to start it up and run the heater on in the jeep and if the temperature goes down does that mean anything special like a fan isnt working or what have you?
__________________
Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. - Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri_X_Troll
I've never been able to pick up chicks in my jeep. but then again I look like a hobbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsull
I am apparently retarded. :confused: Dumb it up real good, I'm a slow learner.
03WrnglerSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
03WrnglerSahara
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grandview, MO
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy
Ya know, everybody is talkin' about bleeding the system...in my opinion, that's just not a major deal here...when I fill the system, and the thermostat opens, it burps itself, you fill the system up as the engine is running, my Jeep, anyway, is NO problem to burp the system...now, compare that to a Mercedes where the radiator doesn't have a cap, and has a burp valve in the T-stat housing...that's where burping comes in...

I'm not a professional mechanic in that I don't do it for a living, but two things come to mind here for me...I agree with those who are pointing at the radiator, and I don't care if it's fairly new or not...take it off, take it to a radiator shop, and have them take apart and take a look...otherwise, you don't know...

The other thing I'm thinkin' is a cracked head and/or bad head gasket...My machine shop told me that they see a LOT of cracked Jeep heads...and if that's the case, combustion gases are escaping into the water jacket, and as others have recommended previously, whether to you or on other threads, a competent mechanic is able to detect combustion gases in your coolant, or you can do a compression leakdown test...or both...

So. There ya have it, in one dude's opinion. Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst. But, get 'er done anyway...
Ah well thanks for your input, the PO put the this radiator in and i think he just bought a cheapie so that could be it i'll take it to a shop tomorrow I guess.
__________________
Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. - Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri_X_Troll
I've never been able to pick up chicks in my jeep. but then again I look like a hobbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsull
I am apparently retarded. :confused: Dumb it up real good, I'm a slow learner.
03WrnglerSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:14 AM   #10
goatboy
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fillmore, California
Posts: 2,449
That's a great idea, Spherion, that's what I'd do...and FYI, radiatorbarn.com has a three row radiator for our Jeeps that is said to be very well made, and will keep your coolant temperature constant...Our Jeeps should be running between 195 and 210, no matter what the outside temperature, and if mine never gets above 210, I'm gonna be a happy camper...I have a brand new one core in mine (it's what the shop ordered...am I happy with it? No...) but here pretty soon, based on info gleaned from this forum, I'm gonna order that one from radiator barn... I'll bet that's your problem...please let us know how it turns out...that's important information...if it's a good radiator, think leaky combustion chamber...In my opinion, your heater core won't make much, if any, real difference for anything...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:21 AM   #11
mp3coupe
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 920
When you say overheating, you see steam? Or just the gauge is pegged to hot? Sure the temp gauge isn't faulty? Have you used a probe in the rad to get a temp reading? Both upper and lower rad hoses get hot? Both heater core hoses get hot? Do you have a fan shroud? Does your fan have drag? Is your rad packed with mud?

Did you seriously overheat it in the past? If you did, head gasket or cracked head. All it takes is once to run it extremely hot to cause damage.
mp3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #12
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's
 
leftlanetruckin's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: missouri via blackpool,lancs.
Posts: 10,606
if mthe heater core is blocked, then it will make it hotter....
you can get shut off valves that go inline on the heater core hoses. auto parts store etc should be able to hook you up....
basically cut the hose and put the valve inline where you cut it....
if the rad is good, and the heater core is good/has no effect, then start looking at the cylinder head....
sometimes a blown head gasket is a pia to find. i had one on a 4.0 that didnt blow white smoke, no coolant in the oil etc, and didnt do weird things till it was upto normal temp, then it would run too hot....
try the shutoff valves, then try giving the rad a good flushing....hosepipe thru it, from the top, then the bottom (backflush), easier to take the rad off to do it right...

good luck

martin
__________________
1998 XJ on 37's.JK Rubi axles with chromo shafts and ctm's, 4:1 transfer case, etc etc etc.The Cherylkee....
2003 Range Rover HSE, 4.4 Quad Cam.
1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:30 AM   #13
03WrnglerSahara
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grandview, MO
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3coupe
When you say overheating, you see steam? Or just the gauge is pegged to hot? Sure the temp gauge isn't faulty? Have you used a probe in the rad to get a temp reading? Both upper and lower rad hoses get hot? Both heater core hoses get hot? Do you have a fan shroud? Does your fan have drag? Is your rad packed with mud?

Did you seriously overheat it in the past? If you did, head gasket or cracked head. All it takes is once to run it extremely hot to cause damage.
Ok heres the whole story i was driving to the hardware store and after we parked we noticed a noise from the engine bay when i opened it there was a whining noise and a lot of steam or whatever coming from the water pump, i did drive it home and its been sitting there ever since, since then i've replaced the water pump the temp sending unit and the thermo, and still it reads 260 or whatever basically in the red. the TOP hose on the radiator stays cold i have not touched the other hoses should I? The radiator is clean i usually power wash it, and yes i have a fan shroud. And since the replacing of the water pump etc i have not seen any steam or heard any noise.
__________________
Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. - Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri_X_Troll
I've never been able to pick up chicks in my jeep. but then again I look like a hobbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsull
I am apparently retarded. :confused: Dumb it up real good, I'm a slow learner.
03WrnglerSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:30 AM   #14
mp3coupe
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
if mthe heater core is blocked, then it will make it hotter....
you can get shut off valves that go inline on the heater core hoses. auto parts store etc should be able to hook you up....
basically cut the hose and put the valve inline where you cut it....
if the rad is good, and the heater core is good/has no effect, then start looking at the cylinder head....
sometimes a blown head gasket is a pia to find. i had one on a 4.0 that didnt blow white smoke, no coolant in the oil etc, and didnt do weird things till it was upto normal temp, then it would run too hot....
try the shutoff valves, then try giving the rad a good flushing....hosepipe thru it, from the top, then the bottom (backflush), easier to take the rad off to do it right...

good luck

martin
Why go out and buy valves to bypass the heater core when you can simply start the engine and feel both hoses. One hose will start to get warm, and then hot. Once the thermostat opens coolant will flow causing the other hose to get hot. I personally never seen a clogged heater core cause overheating. The only time I've seen the heat core bypassed is because the labor/hassle to replace a leaking heater core.
mp3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
mp3coupe
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by spherion
the TOP hose on the radiator stays cold
circulation problem.
Drain a little coolant out until you can see the top of the fins in the rad.
Now
Does the lower hose get hot? Does the heater hoses get hot? While waiting/checking on the temp of the hoses leave the rad cap off. You might want to do this in a place where you don't mind a little coolant on the ground, and away from your pets. If the thermostat opens you should see flow inside the rad. While doing all of this monitor the temp gauge.

Also did you replace the t-stat and waterpump at the same time? You might have fixed one problem and created a new one with a bad replacement t-stat.
mp3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.